dillema

jwmbishop

Okay its not really racing - but cars are to us racers what blood is to a vampire. Heres the skinny.

My wife and I lucked into a deal. We bought an 04GTO in Barbados Blue with the six speed. After we got the deal (2k under sticker when everyone else was getting 2k OVER) we found the production numbers. She's 1 of 277 with that RPO (the rarest unit of the entire production run). Its now paid for and only has 24,000 on the clock (garaged and rarely driven) - our plan from the beginning is to hold until it returns collectors value - and then maybe not even sell but show it as part of our retirement planning.

My local Chevy dealer (knowing how well I enjoy owning this rareity) came across a 2010 2ss/rs Camaro in Aqua Blue Metallic - 1 of only 10 2SS\RS in ABM, and the ONLY one with silver stripe and auto trans. (ABM is not even available any more for DSPO) He offered it to me at 38900 (250 off sticker) AND offered me 14,500 for the goat - NADA has the goat at 12950 high retail (no specific value on RPO) so this lets me know that it will return a heck of a lot more than the average gto as the age starts appreciating it in 10 more years.

Will the return of the Camaro be a more "valued" event (and have the related collectability) than the return and subsequent demise of the GTO? Aside from not having a car payment I am really stumped on where to go for such speculative answers! If I could afford the payments I would keep em both and be done with it. But I must choose.

Im a Bowtie guy all the way but I would keep the Goat. Its already logging time and the Camaro, although a super nice car, will have a lot of brothers and sisters following it. The Goat is the last of its kind. jmo

I agree with PAPA. The run numbers on the GTO's we're considerably shorter than what most would predict the camaro will be. Therefore (IMO) the GTO will become a rarer species later down the road. Although the GTO is a less desirable car right now, you obviously have an exception to the rule. So, I'd sit tight, keep the GTO in great condition and enjoy ZERO car payment. Heck, for the next five years put the $500 you'd spend on the car payment in the bank and have a nice little chunk of change!! (but don't tell the government).

Thanks guys - my wife actually teared up when I told this morning that I was not inclined to let go of the goat. It IS her car and call - but unlike most females she actually listens to my advice sometimes. Which is why she drives the 01Merc while the goat sits in the first place.

Heck, for the next five years put the $500 you'd spend on the car payment in the bank and have a nice little chunk of change!! (but don't tell the government).

Great idea - but unfortunately I am an Enrolled Agent and that would be career suicide. Most likely most of the money will go to my speed addiction (fuel, oil, tires, parts etc). lol.

Not to mention all the honey-dos that I can now afford to hire out! Can we say "Mas Corona's por favor?"

Id keep what ya got...and 250 off the sticker is a sucky deal. We bought a 40 thousand dollar sticker price camaro 6 months ago and got 5 grand off the sticker plus blue book value for a trade in car with a bad engine.

hmm aint found any one taking anything off the 2ss up here around dallas now.

6 months ago weren't the dealers paying YOU to get the things off the lot? - the 1ss are 1k under and the 1 and 2 LT is coming in at to 2-3 k off sticker.

how do you like your camaro? i was not thrilled with the blind spots, but loved the throttle response, shift and handling. a friend with a black 2ss says a lot of that crispness is lost after breakin (but he's a brutal driver).

anyway we decided to keep the goat. part of the no car payment budget is already spent as the wife hired a yard and pool guy at 200 a month. make that dos mas coronas por favor.

Id keep what ya got...and 250 off the sticker is a sucky deal. We bought a 40 thousand dollar sticker price camaro 6 months ago and got 5 grand off the sticker plus blue book value for a trade in car with a bad engine.

6 months ago weren't the dealers paying YOU to get the things off the lot? - the 1ss are 1k under and the 1 and 2 LT is coming in at to 2-3 k off sticker.

how do you like your camaro? i was not thrilled with the blind spots, but loved the throttle response, shift and handling. a friend with a black 2ss says a lot of that crispness is lost after breakin (but he's a brutal driver).

anyway we decided to keep the goat. part of the no car payment budget is already spent as the wife hired a yard and pool guy at 200 a month. make that dos mas coronas por favor.

6 months ago they were going under ..then obama bought em out .he cough uh .... the goverment controls the deals now .....remember they did this with our best enterest at heart....you think sense we the poeple are suppose to own chevy ..we should be able to get a really cheap deal .heck we have already paid for it ..

Think you can still get a deal they say there still sitting. As far as the camaro goes its got + and -. Huge blind spots..I mean huge! Roof to low. And for a big gas guzzeling ( they qouted 24mpg but we could only get 18)engine the car is not as fast as you would think. I think because it weighs as much as a tank. +'s nice ride' handleing is pretty good.I like the interior and the outside looks just awsome, breaking is awsome too..these brakes can stop a tank so there ya go. A mustang 4.6 will beat the camaro with our 6.2. not by much but a small v8 beating your big v8 is really sucky.The camaro is better top end than the stang but I hope my wife wasnt driving that fast. She ended up trading it after a couple months on a mustang convertable. She like d the convertable and the smaller profile of the mustang ( lots of room for the front seats none in the back). All in all if your a classic camaro lover, I think you would like it if not love it...except for the blind spots...you'll hate those. check out gunn in sa.

wife hired a yard and pool guy at 200 a month. make that dos mas coronas por favor.

Sounds like you're gettin weened out!! LOL

Yea but at least I'll get to enjoy a cold one while I watch.

Just ran into a very well equipped collector who informed me of something I had overlooked. The new Camaro is a new and thus "untried" platform. It will most likely have bugs that TSPs fix and future models are built differently to accomodate. The GTO (although "new" as a GTO and in USA) has billions of miles logged on the base (as the Holden Monaro) in Austr. So far the biggest problem in the GTO is that the drivers seat is originally meant to be the passenger seat - therefore the adjuster\mount is not quite as heavy duty as needed. The adjuster gears start making noise and feel very rough when moving the seat fwd and back. We make adjustments to ours from outside the car (without driver weight) to minimize this (and have yet to experience the problem).

So in comparison - the values of the Camaro will hit a lower point (as disenfranchised owners get out from under them) before appreciating. And the way appreciation works (compounding value like an interest rate) this gives the goat a higher leap as compounding from a higher point will always grant a higher end yield. Simply put we would have to hold the Camaro 30 years to get the same bang as 20 in the goat. After a 30 minute discussion - he offered me 17K for the goat which I declined.

Glad we kept her.

Archived