vw transaxle

jracer98

http://www.lonestarspeedzone.com/forums/in...mp;#entry235816

I am building a vw sandrail (for the street). The shifter box/shift rod c/l is inline with the tranaxle. The shift rod is straight. Bushing is new. Rod to transaxle coupler is new.

There is an aftermarket "adjuster" on the end of the shift rod to dial in the length and "clocking" of rod relative to the transaxle.

Fired it up after installing and adjusting the control cables. The clutch engages and disengages but the 'Phasing" of the shifter is fouled up relative to the transaxle.

Does anyone have a "starting from sctatch" series of steps to manually get the transaxle in sync with the shifter? I am completely new to VW. 1600 dp, "regular" bug swing transaxle (freshly rebuilt by VW shop that races).

thanks

j

In (on the shaft at transaxle) is first and third. Out is second and fourth. I have always started in neutral. Which obviously would be in the center. Depending on what type of shifter you are using could be part of your issue.

I would put the shaft in the center and you should be able to move it equal to an 1/8 turn from center to left and visa versa. find center between left and right then tighten set screw.(Making sure that shifter is center to center. I would find it and have someone hold it in place so it doesn't move). Adjust the shifter and go play.

Are you using an adjustable rod so it sounds as if your rod length may need to be tweeked...

I had a buddy in the early 80's here in San Antonio who had a Chenoweth with a 2180cc & dual 48 webers. He ran a buddy of his who had a Corvette which at the time went 11.30's in the quarter mile. The vette owner wouldn't run him from a dead stop, so they went from a 20MPH roll. The vette only won by a foot and would run again... Boy those were the days. I haven't played with a VW in years, but you never loose it.

Feel free to call me anytimme after 4pm.

Mark

(210)216-6275

Jay. Does your shifter sit on a box then bolt to it? If so take it off and do previous with coupler at trans and so forth. Only before you bolt shifter down measure socket in the center of box. If it is off front to back with coupler tightened then adjust rod length. Bolt shifter down. Dont worry about Rev at first just 1-4. Fine tune Rev later.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Tuesday is my day off and we worked on the rail this afternoon. Your suggestions were right on and I sorted the shifter/transaxle in 15 minutes. We put in the brake lines, bled the system and took turns driving it around the block.

Shifts fine, has all 5 gears and working reverse lockout. Brakes need a proportioning valve in the front as the discs are too much for the little front tires. Rear drums had to be adjusted a few times. Steering was really stable as I had leaned the beam back when building the chassis (so it has more caster).

A good shakedown.

Thanks for your help.

Pictures to follow

Jay

Archived