Sportmod Question

yes. as of now ....i'm hoping we get mirrors though at the meeting on the 12th. no telling what may change if anything.

looking forward to racing with you bruce.

i'm running 2 to 1 but i didn't know that was against IMCA rules, and i don't remember jack changing exhaust rules? i don't have the rules here they are at my grandad's.

I found the IMCA southern sport mod rules. Here is the exhaust section:

16. EXHAUST: Must use Schoenfeld headers. GM: #161, #151, #151E with 1.625-inch tubes and 3-inch collector. Chrysler: #451, #461. Ford: #351, #361. No header modifications allowed. No exhaust sensors, merge collectors, cross overs, extensions or balance tubes. Turn down allowed. Coated headers allowed. Schoenfeld mufflers, stamped IMCA609, must be used if track has noise reduction rule of 98 d.b. or more.

I was thinking that somebody told me that THR decided to allow merge collectors (2 into 1) and balance pipes to help keep the cars quiet. Looks like the pure IMCA rules wouldn't allow it.

THR has to be careful with the noise so I could understand some modifications as along as the IMCA legal headers are used.

I think they are, but I'm also pretty sure that some of the sportmods were running just headers with the IMCA mufflers...at least they had that sound to them.

I ran a legal IMCA header with a muffler on each. Not the IMCA muffler. It really doesnt matter about what IMCA states in the rules since we are not IMCA santioned. We can go by thier rules and then modify them as we feel for our own tracks needs. You dont want to change a lot of stuff because this can make it tough for out of towners to come run if they dont meet the rules. Exhaust mods are some easy mods to work with. If a guy comes from out of town and runs a muffler on any exhaust then he should be ok to run. 2-1 or bigger mufflers are good to keep it more quiet but shouldnt become mandatory. Only allowed. But it does need to be added to our rules if it is allowed.

As for Shawn, CHEATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehe. Just kidding. ;)

From the THR rule book.

16. EXHAUST: Must use Schoenfeld headers. GM: #161, #151, #151E with 1.625‐inch tubes and 3‐inch

collector. Chrysler: #461, #461W2, #462W2. Ford: #351, #361, #362, #562, #562‐4B #563‐4B. No header

modifications allowed. Coated headers allowed. No exhaust sensors, merge collectors, cross overs, turn

outs or balance tubes. MUST USE MUFFLERS. Any muffler that meets the 96d.b. at 100 feet while under

full power rule.

i'm sure we will be, just don't know how often. ...i hope LOTS! but we need lots more interest and lots more cars.

Since yall are talking about mufflers and had mentioned mirrors in another post. Most dirt tracks don't have mufflers and you can hear the cars around you, is there a problem noticing where cars are since they are much quieter with mufflers on?

Since yall are talking about mufflers and had mentioned mirrors in another post. Most dirt tracks don't have mufflers and you can hear the cars around you, is there a problem noticing where cars are since they are much quieter with mufflers on?

In my limited experience as a driver, I could hear them. The tone changes when another car gets up to your door even with the more quiet cars. With the little IMCA mufflers like on most of the sport mods, you should be able to hear them easily.

In my limited experience as a driver, I could hear them. The tone changes when another car gets up to your door even with the more quiet cars. With the little IMCA mufflers like on most of the sport mods, you should be able to hear them easily.

Exactly right. You get a feel for them as well as you can hear the small differences.

Archived