Casey Smith likes his chances at this year's Snowball

Austin, TX 11/27/09- For Texas native Casey Smith, the first weekend in December is the one weekend every year when you get a little nervous, a little excited, and realize that come that first Sunday afternoon of the month that you have a chance to etch your name in the history books as a Snowball Derby winner. Smith and his Texas based team will again make the 689 mile trip to Pensacola, Florida’s Five Flags Speedway to compete against the best super late model drivers in the country one final time this year. However, with the 2009 Blizzard season being Casey’s best yet, high hopes are among all in the Smith camp.

NOTES

Team Notes

Car: #99 Chevy Impala SS

Engine: Hamner Chevy 9:1 Super Late Model Engine

Sponsor(s): Rapid Disposal/Smith Paving

Event/Series Notes

Event/Date: 42nd Annual Snowball Derby 300– December 6th, 2009

Venue: Five Flags Speedway–Pensacola, Florida

Track Size: ½ mile (.500)

Media Coverage Notes

-Five Flags Speedway (www.fiveflagsspeedway) for complete schedule information

-Pensacola News Journal (www.pnj.com)

-Speed 51 (www.speed51.com) live “Trackside Now” daily coverage

-Smokers Racin’ (www.smokersracin.com)

-Race Talk Radio (www.racetalkradio.com) live internet radio broadcast

QUOTES

-What is so special about the Snowball Derby for you personally and since you have raced in the Snowball Derby what is your fondest memory so far?

“The Snowball means more to me than what the Daytona 500 does for NASCAR Sprint Cup drivers or any other race in the world because it is 100 percent my team and me that makes the car competitive, every big name driver wants to win the Snowball Derby, it really means that much to people. I would have to say my fondest memory is running third in 2004.”

-This year’s 2009 Blizzard series was the best you’ve had so far statistically speaking; do you feel this year’s race may be the best shot you’ve had at winning a Snowball Derby so far in your career?

“This year I feel like we are more prepared than ever before. This is the best car I’ve ever brought to the Derby and it ran really well at the last Blizzard series race so I feel like there is no reason why we can’t have a shot at sitting on the pole and at least finishing in the top five maybe even a win and to be honest with you I’ll be disappointed if we don’t.”

-What, in your opinion, is it going take to be a Snowball Derby winner?

“The biggest thing for me is it is going to take getting through the first 100 laps because I’ve gotten wrecked the last two years real early in the race. Besides that, great pit stops and running my own race and if someone wants to race too hard, let them go burn their stuff up so you’ve got something to race with at the end.”

Stay tuned to www.caseysmithracing.com for all the latest news and information regarding Casey Smith in 2009.

Archived