"The glass half full"

abrungot

Well... As i listen to the show today... they are really pitching how NA$CAR is making changes, listening & getting stronger in a bad economy...

So to take a spin on that.. how is local racing (Dirt & Asphalt) gotten better this year & how that will feed into next season?

Here are some of my thoughts:

Mini Stocks @ THR, will allow for fresh blood, yound and old into the local sport.

New promoter at Texas Thunder, has energy & want's to take it to the next level..

I dont see Nascar making any changes to help anyone but themselves. :angry:

Its all about the $$$ and not the racing. And they are hurting the short tracks in the meantime.

As far as local racing on the upswing, not sure I agree but Im not racing everyweek.

I listened to about 10 seconds of the interview. She stated that NASCAR is listening and that what " WE " the fans want is. ( I cant remember her exact word ) but something like a driver that is more like Jimmy Johnson. More info and stories about the dirvers. HAHAHAHA.. I the quickly turned it. NASCAR is ALL about $$$$$$$$ and they are running a corporation. They have NO clue what WE tha fans are wanting. Or at least they dont care or just arent listening. "I" want the chase to disapear so that a driver is rewarded for the entier season and not just the last 10 races. Tony would have won it this year and Mark would have gotten it last year. I dont want NASCAR to push a poster boy on me. The only other thing I want is to get back to racing. This crap they are trying to shove down my throat is just that. Crap. If local racing was like this I would quit racing forever and play golf instead. It would be just as much fun and cost a lot less money.

YOU WOULD HAVE NEVER NOTICED THIS I SUPPOSE ..BUT I AM KINDA PARTIAL TO THE MINI.......ABRUNGOT IM WITH YOU ..

prolly wouldn't know that my partiality tends to lean toward sport-mods, either :lol: seriously, tho...this past season was one of the better one's i've seen locally. SOS up and running again (and jim's continued improvement) has been trememdous for the sport! THR being here next season was great news, as well! (here i have to insert that it would be awesome to have the limiteds and trucks run more there in '10) the best part, tho, is that despite everything in the economy it simply couldn't keep our local guys down! and, THAT'S the best news!!

oh...and, oldtimer finally moved into the new age! :P (lol...had to throw that in there...)

now that the season is over...i just wanna say a huge THANK YOU to all the drivers, teams, tracks, officials, family members (for their understanding & patience in allowing the teams to do this every week) and fans for a great year!

and, let's make 2010 the best yet!!!

abrungot you are correct but there is more to that story.What is needed and what there is an oppourtunity for is a bonified plan to get all the racers that have quit because of funds back to the track and again involved as a family sport.This is where the minnies can fecome the flagship for reconnection.Not only for the new blood you speak of but also the late model,sport mod,super street,hobbie and bomber drivers.This economy has put the hurt on most working people and that is the backbone of this sport.If I owned a track I would rather have all my feature drivers racing minnies than staying home waiting for a break.It can be done but there are a few things that need to be overcome.I know Thunderhill has an openminded management so the chance for success is great.

1. Class should be open to anyone.No restrictions.Your best late model driver should be allowed to compete if they desire.Their experience and help will benifit new and old drivers alike.How can a new driver learn without a teacher??? The cars themselves will even out the competetion.

2.Make this a bonified class.Get a real purse for them.Its not hard,their pit passes cost the same as the top classes but their purse goes a lot farther than it does in an expensive class.The money aspect will bring in the cars because a team can more easily justify racing one because of a better return on investment.In some cases a husband and wife can both race as well as family members,friends and neighbors.

3. Most important you have to get rid of the idea that a mini is only for an inexperienced team and only a V8 is a real race car.When you get some well known V8 drivers to get involved with this class others will see its not shameful to also join in and not loose face.When a team has the funds to step up to a higher class they will.In the meantime race this one because ANYBODY can afford one.What was neat was when the big cars at RGS also had small cars that looked alike as team cars for the other team members.One big car,a couple of small cars for pit crew members.I had a ton of fun along with other modified drivers acting as pit crew for our small cars.It was trading places.I did change a lot of tires,these guys really got after it on the track.At the end of the night everybody has a story.

4.Give them a real race.Time trials,heat races,full length features just like your top classes get.Dont treat them like a filler class or alternate entertainment.Accept them as an equal.There are no prouder owners of a race car than a mini owner.For the most part this is all they will ever have to race.Only aboyt 20% of mini drivers ever move to V8 cars and only about 10% ever have success doing so.So give them something to be proud about.

5. Get the V8 guys to quit looking down on these guys.So many times I hear them talk about how the 4 cyl cars are boaring and how nobody wants to watch them.With proper promoting and guidance they can be a very fun race to watch.And there is no more fun class to race in as a driver.Especially if your racing against friends,neighbors and family members.Each car has its own following so 20 cars will bring at least 100 extra people.Its the most return a track can get for its money and NOW is the time to harvest this idea.If the pits are full who cares what they drive????If a fan in the stands only comes to see his neighbor race his little car,GREAT.He bought a ticket.The potential is unlimited.A real fan base is drawn from knowing someone on the track.

To me this is the half full glass so go fill it up.The future looks great at this level.Theres nothing to loose but lots to gain.But it will not do itself.It needs a leader to steer it.Its already got the track and management.Set a new standard.

abrungot you are correct but there is more to that story.What is needed and what there is an oppourtunity for is a bonified plan to get all the racers that have quit because of funds back to the track and again involved as a family sport.This is where the minnies can fecome the flagship for reconnection.Not only for the new blood you speak of but also the late model,sport mod,super street,hobbie and bomber drivers.This economy has put the hurt on most working people and that is the backbone of this sport.If I owned a track I would rather have all my feature drivers racing minnies than staying home waiting for a break.It can be done but there are a few things that need to be overcome.I know Thunderhill has an openminded management so the chance for success is great.

1. Class should be open to anyone.No restrictions.Your best late model driver should be allowed to compete if they desire.Their experience and help will benifit new and old drivers alike.How can a new driver learn without a teacher??? The cars themselves will even out the competetion.

2.Make this a bonified class.Get a real purse for them.Its not hard,their pit passes cost the same as the top classes but their purse goes a lot farther than it does in an expensive class.The money aspect will bring in the cars because a team can more easily justify racing one because of a better return on investment.In some cases a husband and wife can both race as well as family members,friends and neighbors.

3. Most important you have to get rid of the idea that a mini is only for an inexperienced team and only a V8 is a real race car.When you get some well known V8 drivers to get involved with this class others will see its not shameful to also join in and not loose face.When a team has the funds to step up to a higher class they will.In the meantime race this one because ANYBODY can afford one.What was neat was when the big cars at RGS also had small cars that looked alike as team cars for the other team members.One big car,a couple of small cars for pit crew members.I had a ton of fun along with other modified drivers acting as pit crew for our small cars.It was trading places.I did change a lot of tires,these guys really got after it on the track.At the end of the night everybody has a story.

4.Give them a real race.Time trials,heat races,full length features just like your top classes get.Dont treat them like a filler class or alternate entertainment.Accept them as an equal.There are no prouder owners of a race car than a mini owner.For the most part this is all they will ever have to race.Only aboyt 20% of mini drivers ever move to V8 cars and only about 10% ever have success doing so.So give them something to be proud about.

5. Get the V8 guys to quit looking down on these guys.So many times I hear them talk about how the 4 cyl cars are boaring and how nobody wants to watch them.With proper promoting and guidance they can be a very fun race to watch.And there is no more fun class to race in as a driver.Especially if your racing against friends,neighbors and family members.Each car has its own following so 20 cars will bring at least 100 extra people.Its the most return a track can get for its money and NOW is the time to harvest this idea.If the pits are full who cares what they drive????If a fan in the stands only comes to see his neighbor race his little car,GREAT.He bought a ticket.The potential is unlimited.A real fan base is drawn from knowing someone on the track.

To me this is the half full glass so go fill it up.The future looks great at this level.Theres nothing to loose but lots to gain.But it will not do itself.It needs a leader to steer it.Its already got the track and management.Set a new standard.

The Mini/Eco Stock class is truly some of the best racing out there today. 4 wide..tight groups..RACING IN THE RAIN! They put on a HELLUVA show! If we weren't pouring every spare dollar into our truck, I would buy one for BOTH myself and my wife..(SHE wants to race one BAD!!!) It gets the fans in the stands thinking that they could be doing this and looking at how they could get one!

Archived