Question

BJ34

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just out of curiosity, couldn't you run stock motors front and rear drive and then lighten the rear wheel drives (say a 2000 lb minium) to even them up. This would bring the lower cost back into it which would bring cars out. I know some people don't like watching cars go slower, but if its 20 or more the speed isnt what their watching they are watching the action cause thats what its all about. JMO but most people don't care who won they want close mix it up action.

Years ago I brought a chevette to cc that was on a rail, against the front wheel drive cars at the time, (David H., and several others) that 1900lb car finished 5th in the feature it was the only car I ever drove that my leg fell asleep from holding the gas pedal to the floor, never lifted. That motor was so close to blowing up I didn't make it through the next weeks practice. but still I didn't have $1000 in that car. I'm just saying if you can race for $1000 to $1500 bucks in a car the class will grow.

So thats what everybody wants for thunders to go back in the day and start like that again....so for next year we will be in the same spot, talking about the same thing.... Is rearwheel drive cars gonna be allowed in this "stock class"? Any chance you bomber guys will allow us so called outlaw thunders in your class???

Sorry 260 York,BJ34 tried that at the dirt track with his stock Neon and was kicked out because he had an unfair advantage.Sound familiar???

Dont worry,its unlickly anything will change.Wait for the rules meeting when all the people who dont race make new rules.Kinda sounds like Congress.

Sorry 260 York,BJ34 tried that at the dirt track with his stock Neon and was kicked out because he had an unfair advantage.Sound familiar???

Dont worry,its unlickly anything will change.Wait for the rules meeting when all the people who dont race make new rules.Kinda sounds like Congress.

Agreed, and thats sad too. Seems like whatever is best for the growth and future of the class would be the way people would want to go.

I like my steak medium rare, no sauce

Thumper is right they did not want me to race with them they said my car was not the right car it was to light and something else mabey half the motor 500lb lighter and i guess if you smoke the points leader they get mad

Am gonna need a few of them limes after this lol, what you mean you second the motion? You dont even race cc anymore or that matter RACE anymore... and again your talkin about the past its not the begginner class anymore harold...Go up to the tps guys and tell them they're a begginner class and see what happens....Its not just for kids anymore.. were going faster and putting on one hell of a show now... and the only reason you were part of the 4 wide is cuz you were in the way...sorry nick its the truth lol....Its pretty bad when the Drivers from the other classes understand and agree then the ones in the same class.... and am not sayin put 1,000 dollars to win and blow the money... but if "IF" there was more money in the purse The big dogs and others will want to come and grab that money...

You are apsolutly wright york i dont race at cc no more and havent for a long time. But to tell you this i probably have more checked flags and

fifth place or better finishes than you . I was trying to be nice but you have rubbed me the wrong way now. The reason i put my two cents in

is because i helped build at least 3 or 4 or mayby more to start this class and every year racers want to have more stuff heck the only thing is

nobody asked to put the slicks back on them and race. So dont worry i want post any more about this topic so just keep wishing there york

and maybe someday your wish may come true or not....

bobby watch out .you dont race there anymore .and i suppose seeing i build thunders ..keep em running .and yes do put some money in em and actualy part owner in one .. .and looking to have three out of four running in this class next year .seeing you were one of us that rebuilt this class and many cars to boot .and neither one of us really race behind the wheel at cc ..we are the past along with old harold and dont count .. oh add crt who ownes two cars that raced last year .i forgot he is the past to ........ .i say lets run what we brung. cuz one thing is for sure nothing is going to change .. .... ............as for a rules meeting at cc ..no sense in haveing one .. to much division here .... if this looks like im being a baby .so be it give me a call we will have a meeting on that alone ....... it just a shame some of us have been around along time and cared aboult this class . as of now i dont care ..lets race . you guys have a GREAT CHRISTMAS ... LETS GO RACEN ..

nevermind......................... im done .and that aint no lie . this subject is closed .

What happened to this?? :lol:

i didnt say anything aboult the other subject that i wont talk aboult on here anymore .. ...do i need to come by your work and explain it in detail ... or are you fine with this one ..lol ..................

hooliganz ..anytime you want one .bring it over and ill cook it . they are a1 good ...... 3/4 INCH MIN THICKNESS IS WHAT I LIKE TO PIT ..

TIM ..I AGREE WITH YOU .WHY RUIN A GOOD STEAK ..side note tim .is this the first time i have agreed with you after all the years ..

AGAIN???? JUST BRING THE STEAK I'LL COOK IT MYSELF :lol:

GB, you should be used to this by now. These classes go around in cycles. SS is no different. The thing is the SS class shouldn't be as complicated to keep even. But changes every year, and you have what you have now. I changed my last car to match the rules every year, the next thing I knew my car was obsolete. My car is stock now, and that is how it will stay. That way when there are no cars in the SS class because people can't keep up or can't afford to race, and they go back to a "Real" street class, then I won't have to do a thing. I will just keep trying to keep up the way my car is now. I disagreed with Donnie Yokum when he went back to a street class in 99, mainly because I had to go build a new car, but it taught me a lesson. Keep these classes simple, and you will have more cars. More cars equals more fans, and more fans equal bigger purse. Plain and simple. You guys need to decide what "simple" is for Thunders. Go back to when you had the most cars, those are the rules you should go with. Maybe not as easy as it sounds because of front wheel rear wheel and different makes and all, but I am sure it can be done.

The fans don't really care about how fast you are going. Do you think they really see the difference between 15.00 seconds and 16.00 seconds. Maybe.....but I bet they care more about seeing a close race than a fast one. Fast isn't much fun to watch if you are spread all over the place.

GB, you should be used to this by now. These classes go around in cycles. SS is no different. The thing is the SS class shouldn't be as complicated to keep even. But changes every year, and you have what you have now. I changed my last car to match the rules every year, the next thing I knew my car was obsolete. My car is stock now, and that is how it will stay. That way when there are no cars in the SS class because people can't keep up or can't afford to race, and they go back to a "Real" street class, then I won't have to do a thing. I will just keep trying to keep up the way my car is now. I disagreed with Donnie Yokum when he went back to a street class in 99, mainly because I had to go build a new car, but it taught me a lesson. Keep these classes simple, and you will have more cars. More cars equals more fans, and more fans equal bigger purse. Plain and simple. You guys need to decide what "simple" is for Thunders. Go back to when you had the most cars, those are the rules you should go with. Maybe not as easy as it sounds because of front wheel rear wheel and different makes and all, but I am sure it can be done.

The fans don't really care about how fast you are going. Do you think they really see the difference between 15.00 seconds and 16.00 seconds. Maybe.....but I bet they care more about seeing a close race than a fast one. Fast isn't much fun to watch if you are spread all over the place.

Several great posts in this thread and this is one of them

man oh man ..that is a big amen .......... how would you like that steak ....

You are apsolutly wright york i dont race at cc no more and havent for a long time. But to tell you this i probably have more checked flags and fifth place or better finishes than you . I was trying to be nice but you have rubbed me the wrong way now. The reason i put my two cents in is because i helped build at least 3 or 4 or mayby more to start this class and every year racers want to have more stuff heck the only thing is

nobody asked to put the slicks back on them and race. So dont worry i want post any more about this topic so just keep wishing there york and maybe someday your wish may come true or not....

I thought rubbin was racing??? Look all i wanted to do was try to get these thunders some class...I mean am tried of no one taking this class serious aren't you? We bust are asses just like everyone else out there to get these cars perfect...and still the thunders are the Begginner class...Why? IMO We stole the show more times out there this season then any class and had the most to the second most car count and we get paid the least....And yes i've been to cc watching back in the day were there were 2 heats and a B main and etc. But...how many of them drivers were begginners and where are they today? most of them moved up...most of them are not running anymore... and I mite be wrong but have no thought of coming back to this class...Now what would happen if we had a sponsor to sponsor the thunders and made this a big class at cc? At thunder hill they have ASA A-LINE SUPER STOCK Class right? isn't that are super street class??? But they got a sponsor for that class and I bet the purse is nice and everyone knows thats the class to watch....{sometimes} Now if we had the say {gonna say this for ozzy} The Miller lite Texas thunder class..Which had nice cars nice purse and Great action. Dont you think that would put a new look at are texas thunder class? and make people wanna get in this class a little more? With all the racing now its gonna be hard to get any new drivers, Look at all the classes we have now? but I was just stating That if we had a good purse to race with...Maybe on the off week or something those big bad drivers over there in the TPS world would come over and race for the cash at cc....And last how many years you got in racing harold? just curious???

charlie you cannt count on the cars from pro sedans it dont work but if people go with what i suggest the speeds will still be there you cut out the high dollars parts and the class can grow and it wont be considered a beginner class but you wont have the big motors ok ive said my 2 cents worth i really dont want to go back to stock cars but i do think they need to back up a little but its the tracks final say

charlie you cannt count on the cars from pro sedans it dont work but if people go with what i suggest the speeds will still be there you cut out the high dollars parts and the class can grow and it wont be considered a beginner class but you wont have the big motors ok ive said my 2 cents worth i really dont want to go back to stock cars but i do think they need to back up a little but its the tracks final say

agree

This see Charly ive been racing at least 8 to 10 years . 5 years full time and the rest part time .

But i have been around the sport all my life . Ive done some drag racing and helped as a pit

crew member for several drivers in my life time. So yes i have more experiance in racing than

you :lol::lol: You know write now i am some what retired from racing write now but once

my finances get back in order i mite race again and who knows i mite build a car to kick your

A. Oh what Cody allready has one. Just joking with you OK ! Everybody have a nice and a safe

xmas and new year ok.

I thought rubbin was racing??? Look all i wanted to do was try to get these thunders some class...I mean am tried of no one taking this class serious aren't you? We bust are asses just like everyone else out there to get these cars perfect...and still the thunders are the Begginner class...Why? IMO We stole the show more times out there this season then any class and had the most to the second most car count and we get paid the least....And yes i've been to cc watching back in the day were there were 2 heats and a B main and etc. But...how many of them drivers were begginners and where are they today? most of them moved up...most of them are not running anymore... and I mite be wrong but have no thought of coming back to this class...Now what would happen if we had a sponsor to sponsor the thunders and made this a big class at cc? At thunder hill they have ASA A-LINE SUPER STOCK Class right? isn't that are super street class??? But they got a sponsor for that class and I bet the purse is nice and everyone knows thats the class to watch....{sometimes} Now if we had the say {gonna say this for ozzy} The Miller lite Texas thunder class..Which had nice cars nice purse and Great action. Dont you think that would put a new look at are texas thunder class? and make people wanna get in this class a little more? With all the racing now its gonna be hard to get any new drivers, Look at all the classes we have now? but I was just stating That if we had a good purse to race with...Maybe on the off week or something those big bad drivers over there in the TPS world would come over and race for the cash at cc....And last how many years you got in racing harold? just curious???

York, I like your drive and passion for your class, and that is a great idea on finding a sponsor for it to bring in more purse money and I am glad you are going to step up and pursue that idea, please keep us posted on how it is going.

This see Charly ive been racing at least 8 to 10 years . 5 years full time and the rest part time .

But i have been around the sport all my life . Ive done some drag racing and helped as a pit

crew member for several drivers in my life time. So yes i have more experiance in racing than

you :lol::lol: You know write now i am some what retired from racing write now but once

my finances get back in order i mite race again and who knows i mite build a car to kick your

A. Oh what Cody allready has one. Just joking with you OK ! Everybody have a nice and a safe

xmas and new year ok.

dang harold .dont be so hard on charly .his friend can knock you out ... bud....... weiser ......... you said cody has one ..how aboult gb ..jr .25 i cant think of his name ....gregg sr ....lee boys ...and soon another driver i wont name yet ,,,.seems like charly has his work cut out ..but never fear ....charly has been working in the lab on some more power .so we may.....be in trouble ..only after the hang over will the truth come out ....................

SORRY MY FRIEND CHARLY I COULD NOT HELP MYSELF .MILLER GOT TO ME ..

xmas and new year ok.

dang harold .dont be so hard on charly .his friend can knock you out ... bud....... weiser ......... you said cody has one ..how aboult gb ..jr .25 i cant think of his name ....gregg sr ....lee boys ...and soon another driver i wont name yet ,,,.seems like charly has his work cut out ..but never fear ....charly has been working in the lab on some more power .so we may.....be in trouble ..only after the hang over will the truth come out ....................

SORRY MY FRIEND CHARLY I COULD NOT HELP MYSELF .MILLER GOT TO ME ..

Thanks Hitech i forgot about the others. I miss racing with all of yall we really had some good times at cc havent we. Charlie if you really want to know

how the thunders really got started sit and lisen to Mr. G B Carter and maybe you would think more of this class than $$$$$ money is good but fun

racing is even better the fans are what makes racing . The real problem write now is not the money its what sitting in the stands that counts . May

i sujest fill the stands and mayby just mayby the pay will get a whole lot better. Because of whats happen in the past.Dan has to show the fans he

is in this fore the long haul . Past owners and managers not to point no fingers here is what has the fans scared to come back . Keep putting really

good shows for the fans and they will come back let them see yall support the track and Dan for the future of CC Speedway. I got my start there

xmas and new year ok.

lol 8 to 10??? Its not 18 years like me but ok.... :P And like i say dont talk about, bring that car on down here and i'll be waiting... Oh!!! and how do you and HI Tech not know that Cody and I and possibly GB are working on something behind the scenes :ph34r: only time well tell....... Damn good cookies Cody....

Everybody posting on here has valad points.If you read them all and organise the thoughts,it all points back to how rules are modified every year sometimes by people who dont even race.

Greg,I did not realize the SS had the same thing going but to have to change your car every year is the biggest killer of a race class.At least with SS its all about Chevrolets.To compare with Thunders,imagine having to change your car every year just to make the Fords and Chryslers competetive.Heck,even cripple yourself to give the flatheads an edge.If a Camaro is the best car,thats what everyone should race and thats where you guys are now.I remember when the push was on for aluminum bodies and such and I remember why it took so long.

This brings me to my point.When I began this venue in 1994,I talked to Mr Yocum about the ministock program.I have quoted this before but it merits repeating becaust I never forgot it. "Racing is expensive.Im not going to let you spend any more than whats necessary so dont look for fancy trick parts." I thought it was a great philosophy and is more important now than ever.What I also remember is the mini stocks were open to anyone regardless of experience.This idea is still alive today but only a few places.Many tracks still treat minnies as a beginner deal and are not taken serious.

I also remember when at the drivers meetings the Ford guys wanted more things from Mr Yocum.He was agreeable to a point but when they started to also want to cripple the other brands he put his foot down and refused to change anything.What I remember most was year after year our cars could race the same way they were the year before.We had a good base for the class,some people would come,some would go but the cars stayed.It wasent until Mr Yocum became too ill to run the track that problems began.When he quit managing us the rules started wholesale changes.In 1998 I came back from vacation on a Friday so I could race on Saturday.I found a massage on my phone to call the track before I went to race.It seemd that a major rule change was voted on during my absence to re-write several rules.Some did not affect my because I did not have things people thought.But the one thing was the weight.I now had to add 300 pounds of weight to make the racing more fair.I said screw this and went home and went to bed.It was Friday nite.About midnite I got up angry as heck and went to the shop.What the good old boys did not realize was earlier that year I ran a Pro Sedan race at CC and had to add 400 pounds so I already had the weights and brackets.By 2 am I was loaded,ready to go.I won everything that weekend so the stupid weight thing did not change the outcome.What it did do was cost us some racers.That year the changes came almost weekly but that weekend Thomas came to me in the pits and wanted help.He said his car would not roll.Wierd problem I thought so I went to his car and WHAT THE # his car was sitting on the ground,suspension collapsed because of all the weight he had to add.I told him get all that crap off so he could race.I was ready to take on anybody who thought this was a good idea (adding weight).This is what happens when people vote on rules and make wholesale changes to even the competetion.Too many of the wrong people are affected.

Nobody will join a groop that is always fighting.The end of ministocks at CC came more because of the fighting and yelling across the pits between teams with the same types of cars because the others left.All Fords and 1 VW,no FWD cars at all.Even with all the perverted rules there was no harmony.During the days of Mr Yocum and the first few years of Thunder cars there was harmony and people were comfortable.Now we have confusion.

Had to go to town.

It seems like what CRT and HT want is similar to the rules of 1994.No head work,no stroking,flat top pistons only,stock flywheels and clutches,pound per cc,little weber carb ( the 5200 is obsolete)and a track tire.We were allowed race springs and stock fitting race shocks.It did not cost a redicolus amount to have a good car.The re-cap tires were affordable but not real consetent.When you got a good set they were faster than the Hoosers.

The Thunder rules were more relaxed.Partally because the track could teck cars with a minimal time.The idea was to use what you have laying around rather than buy special items.This keeps down the cost.The claim rule was the defining item to keep the cars on an equal basis.Everybody knows what the other guy has or thinks he does so a car with an expensive engine,wheels and tires,shocks or a trick frame or even a bone stock car that was considerably faster than the others would be claimed.To do so you would have to give up your car but if the other car is so much better you actually are better off.The claim was never used at CC but was used on occasion at RGS.It was funny sometimes at RGS to see 2 or 3 cars really fly around the track to the last lap then fight for 5th place.That is out of the claim spot.

What ruined the philosiphy of both venues at CC was the distorting of rules at driver meetings.People would bring friends to vote on the pretence they were also building cars.Part of this is because of the multiple track managers trying to accomidate.Fact is you cant please everyone and as has been prooven twice with us when a group finally gets their way even then they are not happy.Rules were changed by popular vote.This is one reason why Pro Sedand has had such a long tenure,they dont vote on rules.The management takes petetions under advisment,considers all aspects and even has a trial period to test results before changes are made.They have made many changes over the years,most noteably to me getting rid of the 400 pounds of lead I had to carry.But it was done organized.

The rules define the car.They must reflect the finished product as built by someone with talent and funds.The Super Street cars have become more like a late model so why not combine them now??How close was a SS from the mid 90s to todays cars?

Thunders have not changed much other than what we can put on them.This is a real shame because we had the oppourtunity to evolve to the modern cars with more powerful stock engines,much better suspensions,a tremendously better source of parts and cars ultimately making racing a 4 cyl faster,cheaper and more intresting for everyone.Even right now our only true stock modern car is being labeled as too much advantage.I say if thats the better choice for a car than thats what to use.Instead we cripple the modern car with those protection rules.It looks like Thunderhill is going to be the leader in bringing the modern car to the circle track.I know its an entry level machine but as popularity grows the cars will advance.My vision is to see Eclipses,Colbalts,Focuses,Acuras,GTIs,Altimas,Celicas,Neons,Civics or many other modern cars.Twin cams,multi valve 150 to 200 HP from the factory.The cars are in the junk yards and storage lots right now.I say lets look at Tommy as our future and give him wat he needs to be competetive rather than be afraid of what he might do.Im really hopeing Dan shares this vision of the futureThis is where the next generation of Thunders will come from,not obsolete thinking.

My vision of a supercar is a turbo or supercharged sports car eather 4 or 6 cyls.A real race car.Heck the stock ones right now could beat most of what races now.Racings future depends on going foreward with technoligy like the factories are doing.Not follow the dinosaurs of NASCAR.Their techonology is a generation behind.

As far as 260 York is concerned,I have known him since birth.At around 6 years old he was driving quarter midgets around Austin that looked like little winged sprinters.At early teens he was driving a 400 inch dirt modified around Missouri at 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile fast dirt tracts.Some tracks were over 100 mph.The Thunder car is the slowest race car he has competed with.I understand his passion for speed.He really needs a 2.4 twin cam eclipse.

Archived