SAS WALK AROUND

PAPA

I love that place. Like many of us old farts, I was there when it opened. And I have been directly involved in one capacity or another ever since.

Like many of you, I dream that one day the up and coming generation of hot shoes will get to experience the thrill of going really fast on those high banks. And getting launched on the ski jump down the back straight. And falling off turn four and drifting up to the wall under the flagman... and on and on...

But, the reality is that old lady is doomed unless a hero with a huge soft spot for the place and way more money than brains steps up - and steps up soon.

And there are people like that around. Within the past year I have been talking with a person (who, at his request, shall remain nameless) who was looking into possibly buying the property and rebuilding the place. He had a contractor friend of his throw some numbers together - not a full blown study, but reasonable estimates.

The estimates he came up with did not include the amount needed to purchase the property from the Reeh family, but the study did show that it would cost more to rebuild the exiting facility than it would to start over.

Estimated costs as I remember them (not including property purchase price or any soil remediation required)

1) Rebuild everything including infrastructure - $7.5 - $8 million

2) Start over - $7.0 - $7.5 million

Pretty conservative estimates if you ask me, but even with those numbers the total price tag would be over $10 million. The biggest expense was in putting in infrastructure that met SA and Bexar County code. The electrical and septic systems were way more than I would have imagined and environmental protection safeguards were a cost I hadn't even thought of. And apparently there are structural problems with the grandstands that have to be addressed and none of the existing buildings were anywhere near code. Handicap access rules added a bunch too.

And, as many of us knew but were unwilling to accept, the dirt under the banking on both ends has eroded and settled to the point that the walls are no longer able to support themselves. The engineering question becomes how best to keep the track from falling apart as the foundation (most of which was simply dirt dug out from the pit area when it was built) is replaced and/or stabilized.

And while it is an open secret, the old gas tank leaked for years and there has to be a plume running downhill towards the river. Oh crap. The EPA gets mighty upset when hydrocarbons pollute a river. Soil remediation is extremely expensive.

Even taking all that into consideration, he seemed willing to procede, but he backed off after asking around and determined that once the economy recovered that area of town was earmarked for housing and mixed use development. Even if he did invest the $10+ million, the odds were that it would get shut down in a year or two anyway.

I had my hopes up there for a bit, but maybe there is someone else out there with that kind of money to invest.

Again, please do not take this as coming from someone who doesn't want to see SAS rebuilt. I do want it rebuilt. But we have to face facts and realize that a true hero will have to step up if it is to happen.

Nick

If your backer has the money,why doesnt he just build a NEW TRACK correctly out of the way ? I tried rebuilding a house. NEVER AGAIN. Too many hidden costs and twice the work because everything thats there has to be taken down and disposed of plus most of the time,the previous foundations were not built correctly or have fallen apart over the years. You could pick up some land cheaper south of San Antonio and save 2 of the 4 million it would cost to purchase the old track,then use the 2 you saved to cut overall costs. JMO

The Old Girl has seen her last race Im sure. I just put this up so we would have HISTORY recorded for the fans of the past and future. I also have a few very short clips of racing action on SAS that I will be putting up soon. The sounds and the speeds bring back lots of memories. Hopefully there are others out there that have some video of the races at SAS. Please put them up so we can all live a little in the past as we try to live in the present.

If your backer has the money,why doesnt he just build a NEW TRACK correctly out of the way ? I tried rebuilding a house. NEVER AGAIN. Too many hidden costs and twice the work because everything thats there has to be taken down and disposed of plus most of the time,the previous foundations were not built correctly or have fallen apart over the years. You could pick up some land cheaper south of San Antonio and save 2 of the 4 million it would cost to purchase the old track,then use the 2 you saved to cut overall costs. JMO

My backer? Nope. I just happen to know the guy. He got in touch with me just to seek my cooperation in making sure nothing got on Lone Star Speedzone to sink his ship before it was ready to sail. That's it. And after he decided against proceeding further he was nice enough to let me know and to answer a whole bunch of questions I had, including the stuff I posted above.

He said he was not interested whatsoever in building a "NEW TRACK." His sole interest was in restoring SAS to its former glory.

However, if you have a financail backer, give him my contact info. Love to talk with him about it.

Nick

• 1 month later...

I have many races on vhs i would love to share! street stocks, late models and tidas last race before romco came in. i was out there every saturday night with my camcorder recording. heat races and features late models mainly but when we had good street stock car counts i was recording. i have octoberfast 2000 when like 30 something cars started and half wrecked on lap 1 turn 1.

i didn't grow up there (maybe semi), but as soon as i got the chance i was racing there. loved it with out a doubt , there will never be another track like that one.

I have many races on vhs i would love to share! street stocks, late models and tidas last race before romco came in. i was out there every saturday night with my camcorder recording. heat races and features late models mainly but when we had good street stock car counts i was recording. i have octoberfast 2000 when like 30 something cars started and half wrecked on lap 1 turn 1.

WHAT YEAR DID YOU STOP RECORDING. IM LOOKING FOR 03 TO 07. THANKS GEORGE REYES. 210-889-0606

WHAT YEAR DID YOU STOP RECORDING. IM LOOKING FOR 03 TO 07. THANKS GEORGE REYES. 210-889-0606

George,

I have a couple dozen video tapes from that era done by "Videos by Donna." At one point someone on here volunteered to get them transfered to DVDs for me so we could all enjoy them, but I can't recall who it was that volunteered!

{ON EDIT} George - False alarm. Sorry, but I was thinking of the mid 90's, not the mid 2000's.

Nick

• 1 month later...

Thanks Papa....boy did that bring back some great memories. Leroy Brooks ran a black/silver Nova there for a few seasons. I recall Leroy driving there a few weekends with a borken ankle....he installed an automatic transmission to aid in his ability to nurse the car around the track. He was a hero......

• 5 months later...

sas never got to hit the track. but been there many times. place where i fell in love with stockcar racing. where i became a fan of one of my two favorite wiston cup drivers. and a fan of many since i can remember. which would be from late 80s til it closed. i remember my dad drove the #2 miller genuine draft car painted up jus like rusty wallaces car. black and yellow a car from blue diamond engineering where my cuzin richard helped out at. reason why im a wallace fan. first ever kiddie ride i hopped in the jiffy lube #6 dont remember who that was then 2nd time hopped in with brandon bendele. i wanna go on and on but man ill be here for days. thats me i know you veterans can go on for years. and im not calling you old jus experienced. i'd like to get some dvds if someone has transferred them. ????. i better get off here...

• 1 month later...

Archived