I 37 Sat nites in 2010

txhotmod

SOS and STS worked out the schedule long before Texana's 2010's opening was ever in question. The schedules have been posted for almost 2 months with talking about it long before that. Yes your right on any given night only 4 or 5. So one track or the other wont get those cars anymore plus the ones that cant make it on Saturdays. I understand an open track is better then a closed track but like 88 said are they really addressing the problems. And yes when you dont have a clue what the outcome is going to be its an Experiment!

TV rights is not the point I am trying to make. You have a select amount of people watching football in Tx. Mind you its a big group but they want both teams watched by as many as possible thats why they dont play at the same time 99% of the time. I also agree the Mods are a big part of the value for a fan to go and watch. But I dont see more mods now then 2 years ago when it struggled then. I mean Dismore has done as much for Mods in this area as anyone can possibly do and still cant break a 1/2 dozen of the same cars consistantly. Maybe theses are signs to come for everyone.

F5racing I am not bashing this track. Did I in the past absolutely hell yes! I have my reasons like many others. I dont candy coat my words. If I have a question I dont send PM's that never get answered by anyone most of the time. I ask the damn question for the rest of the world so they as well know the answer. If you or anyone else gets affended by how I word my question or for even asking it or for making a comment so be it. I race at a track that has reopened and has had a great year! This decision directly effects the track I race at so yes I do have a dog in this fight. The future will determine for the good or bad but regardless you can bet your ass if SOS made a decision that effects I37 those drivers would be asking as well. I will do what I have to do to help, advertise and sponsor anything with SOS and their future which includes discussions. Good luck with yours...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is good and bad things at any track. Each driver has a favorite track and its a free country still. I think ? 37 is racing on Saturdays now and this thread is pretty much mute. The guys that like SOS better will go to SOS and the drivers that like 37 better will go to 37. Pick your track and start rebuilding your cars to meet that tracks rules,SINCE EACH TRACK HAS TO HAVE THEIR OWN WEIRD SET OF RULES. Cant we all just get along ? HA HA Yea,Right

I like Friday nights,However a new direction shall be tried i know..I dont blame the track..Its called trying to make money!I know 1st hand it made no real money!..BEEN THERE,DONE THAT!!..But some that say you dont need MODS,That front runners and pure stocks are the class,YOU ARE LOST!!..MODS draw the Fans!!..Why is it that 99% of the BIG SHOWS are MODS or SPORT MODS??..Yes i worry we will lose some cars,but perhaps a few will be picked up.And people talking about SOS,Did they run Fridays when they opened for the other tracks in there area??I know i37 got more support from STS,EDNA and SOS then we ever gave back,so locals cant say it hurts there plans now to run there...I know we will miss the friends we made at several tracks we went too,But we will support the ONLY HOMETOWN track we have!..And if we were points running for IMCA,this would be bad..But again,with the exception of JOE SPILLMAN,who at i37 was points running for IMCA??Lots of folks think its easy to open a dirt track of i 37 scale...It can be a financial disaster..My views are my own,not ment to bash or step on toes,but we need to be prepared to support or travel..The travel is not cheap.I know that 1st hand too.... Frank Torres

i can remember back in 1994-1998 approximately, we used to get atleast 15-20 cars in every class (which was only 3 classes-pure stock,super stock and modifieds) sometimes as a special feature true late models. the fans had to show up early just to get a seat,raced on friday nights, and we finished the races early! im not saying fri or sat nights is the answer, i think less classes forces drivers to build cars for other classes which will bring up car count in the classes.i know the freisenhahns use to give out free passes frequently to new people to spark new interest and hopefully retain some and if nothing else make big profits on concessions(thats where the real money is at!!)i miss texas dirt speedway! ray doyon III

You're absolutely right Ray.......Too many classes nowdays.....There's only so many drivers/teams.....so much money to spend on cars......so much sponsorship available.(and that's getting less and less)

Late nights mean fewer returning part-time fans(nor will they bring friends).....diehards will stay till sun up. :lol:

Yep, too many classes. THR has 12. I mention them because I know thier classes. But it's funny when they complain about car count. Drivers need less choices. A racer is going to race. NO track needs that many classes. The other big problem is the late nights. As stated. I've hit the track at 1-2 am before for my feature. And guess what? Stands are empty. So I think a big part of the solution is cut down the classes. ( which will make the dead class racers upset and they will all say they need to keep the class and how good it is for the tracks ) and then cut down on the classes run per night. Make it 3-4 classes. NOT 8 classes like they do now.

And yes, the economy is hurting everything right now. So counts will be down and less fans anyway. So it's going to hurt no matter what the tracks do until this all turns around. I like the saturday night deal. We want to run there but Fridays were near impossible. So if I can afford it, ( economy ) there will be 2 more sportmods there during the season.

Good luck to I37 this season. Everyone needs it right now.

Ok, so you have:

Front Runners

Pure Stocls

Street Stocks

Limited Late Models

Sport Mods

Mods

You are the track owner, you want to cut a class/classes. WAIT, your Front Runner class is an entry level class and it is growing. Your Pure Stock class has been consistant in numbers. Your Street Stock class has had good numbers all year as well. And so has your Sport Mod count. So, you have Limiteds and Mods with low car count but youve announced that you are going back to IMCA for 2010 at least. So Mr./Mrs. Trackowner are you banking on IMCA and Mod car count to come up and cut your limiteds?

Hummmm! Go ahead and make your decision....

I think the class count at I-37 is good. 2010 isnt here yet and I wouldnt throw any track under the bus just yet... I mentioned to Jim@ I-37 last week that I had been in Seguin and saw what I thought was a Limited or close to it in a back yard. I plan on stopping by next time Im in the area to leave them a note and ask them to call Jim about the track.

I think promotions are a great idea and know from talking to Jim that I-37 gave away a bunch of free tickets. Even gave away some free coupons for free food. I know they were trying to do some radio stuff and it didnt work out not because of the track. I-37 wont be going anywhere because of location, City of Pleasanton is far enough away that they wont grow that way quickI know that Dr, & Mrs, G, Jim and Eric have some things in the mix. Give it some time, this is year three and as I mentioned to Jim on Weds. they are ahead of schedule for where we had talked about the track being at. The track is making improvements and Jim, Eric and crew have been busting hump to make it a place to race....

I wish all the racers/crews a great holiday season! Hopefully we will see ya'll next year....

Mark O'Donnell

Custom Control Modules

Ok, so you have:

Front Runners

Pure Stocls

Street Stocks

Limited Late Models

Sport Mods

Mods

if this is what you want to run fine. but SPEED up the show! too many times i've been there and one of your classes get's a caution and everybody mysteriously can't line up, can't follow the guy they KNOW they were behind. TWO spins your done! no jacking around with line -ups for 5 laps. no hot lapping before the green,line em up and race! get wreckers to clear cars to infield not driving around the track pushing to pits. nothing is more aggravting for fans than to have cars on the track driving around under caution because one guy won't line up, stop em and put to the back if they can't line up garauntee you they will remember where they go next time. people come to races to watch racing! not wreckers jacking around and guys being dumba$$es under cautions

Ok, so you have:

Front Runners

Pure Stocls

Street Stocks

Limited Late Models

Sport Mods

Mods

if this is what you want to run fine. but SPEED up the show! too many times i've been there and one of your classes get's a caution and everybody mysteriously can't line up, can't follow the guy they KNOW they were behind. TWO spins your done! no jacking around with line -ups for 5 laps. no hot lapping before the green,line em up and race! get wreckers to clear cars to infield not driving around the track pushing to pits. nothing is more aggravting for fans than to have cars on the track driving around under caution because one guy won't line up, stop em and put to the back if they can't line up garauntee you they will remember where they go next time. people come to races to watch racing! not wreckers jacking around and guys being dumba$$es under cautions

Not bashing your points, but it sounds like you have some good ideas and some energy. You should call Jim or Eric and offer to help out at the track. Since Jeremy may be out for at least six months you could ask Eric to use you on the front straight lining up cars. Or in the back getting them lined up to come out.

Mark

no thanks, i'm one of the guys riding around wondering why we can't get back to racing..........................just trying to give some pointers if your gonna try and run 5+ classes a night. and it really doesn't take an extra person all it takes is letting them know in the drivers meeting what will be expected and what the consequences will be. example if you tell em "when you enter the track and line up we are gonna go green on the first pass, if you don't line up your going to the back or get left behind " period ! too many times peple will get out and hot lap and then everyone else is trying to catch up and now their strung out taking extra pace laps to get lined up. if every class is taking long to line up...say 4-5 minutes x 5 classes = xtra 20 min to the show. just sayin.......

Hey Chuck...You have some good points...However,When one wants to be Smart ass and not respect your views,O WELL..He knows who you are, or at least he should.. But that seems a problem here..Jeremy worked as a worker should. Did not try to be the CHIEF of all that came along..What impression did you get from your last reply??You really want help Mark??I will fill in for Jeremy for FREE till he mends..I think you have my #....And i will treat the drivers with RESPECT!Maybe the one answering back could pick up on it,Frank T

No intention. Even mentioned it to Jim. Transponders even sound good to me, but then the driver has to buy a transponder if the track doesnt want to keep up witht he rental.

Frank, I think , no better yet make that know you are filling in your own blanks. I am not a voice for the track... I am a voice for myself and my company and who knows maybe a sponsoor for the trackin 2010. I merely made a suggestion... Don't like it, I can't change your mind nor will I try. I think your stuck in the past and wont try to change that either...

Flattire15,

Draw your own conclusions. I want to see this track survive. I plan on being part of a solution!

Mark

Well racing on Saturdays ,I hope the racing can get started an hour or two sooner than it was on Fridays. I usually got loaded up and ready to go about 12:00 - 12:30 am,so if 37 can start 2 hours sooner. I will be heading home by 10:30 at the latest. I agree driving around for 10 laps on a yellow or waiting on cars to line up is aggravating,especially if you are sitting in the pit in your car ready for your race to start. I have had several regular drivers at 37 jump up several spots on restarts and play stupid and wouldnt move back to their normal position until they were told too. Of course causing 2-3 extra laps on each restart. SO SOME OF THE DRIVERS ARE TO BLAME for the rest of us getting home late also.

Alright.....let's all take a deep breath....2,3,4........

I know this is(these are) a sensitive/touchy issue(s).........Let's work for a common goal here.....

As I've told Jim on a couple occasions about start time......If you say 8:30 then drop the first green flag at 8:30....not start track packing/hot laps at 8:30. If noone wants to pack.....let them run in slop....maybe next time they'll get the message. Drivers that do pack can be self policing too. Peer pressure works!!!

During the 1000 Buck Shootout I was on Eric about quicker line-ups using a white erase board. Appearantly once covered with dust it no longer work well, but they will look into a chalk board for 2010. But some of the line-up issues fall on the drivers too......The Henry Witt "sneak up under yellow and hope no one notices" is bull$#!^.....and I see it all the time at almost every track.

Transponders are alright, but quite an expense.....still need a human back up and don't tell the drivers where to go.....The only time they actually save is scorers comparing/confirming positions between themselves.....and if one goes bad, dead batteries, or falls off that guy still has to be filled in manaully.....I'm still not sold on them totally.....Now raceievers.....different subject.

As far as classes go I have several trains of thought.....Run a full schedule, but give a non-IMCA class a night off so you're only running 5 a night.....Earlier start time(which can be easily done on Saturday's now).....Finally if a class can't consistantly draw 8-10 cars then it probably needs to be eliminated.....and I hate saying that since it directly effects one of my homies in the Limited Late Models......Sorry but 5-6 car features are not exciting to me or the fans.

amidst all these racecar class issues we need to help jim and staff creatively market the racetrack.im not saying us donate money but maybe a lil creative ideas and/or pass out flyers display cars at businesses or get local media involved somehow whatever it is we need to help some!can u imagine 1,000 fans per race night at entry fee $8=8000 plus concessions plus pit entries!there is alot of potential hopefully jim and crew can get it going stronger and get more organized and don't cater to select groups! just my opinion raced at many tracks across texas a promoter should travel to other tracks and incorporate ideas from several.

flattire,frank,and freddie you are all right. a bunch of the [edited out by Nick Holt, 11/21/09] drivers [that know who they are], jump up and try to take spots an act dumb, and should be sent to the back of the field . mark i am sorry but i do not think you know every thing, fill in your own blanks!! your not out their sitting in a car putting up with the bull that everybody else has. stick to sponsoring and stay out of our ????. and frank , i will also volunteer to take jeremy's place.friday's were great,but saturday's could be better you never know till you try. and danielson i'm sorry but you don't have a dog in this fight [edited out by Nick Holt, 11/21/09] we liked racing at goliad and plan on racing their even more next year, but we will still support i37. oh i can not for get reb !!! not to sound kiss assey , but everything you have said so far sounds right to me. i will drink another one on that thought , an see what other bull someone else comes up with. rick schroat

OK Danielson... Here's the deal... Since you have quite a bit of experience in track/series management then what should the track do? I think the track does look on here and uses some of what is said in their decision making so just curious on what you think they should do to survive in these economic times? Ill open mind to what you have to say and try to not be negative. So let's hear it...

OK Danielson... Here's the deal... Since you have quite a bit of experience in track/series management then what should the track do? I think the track does look on here and uses some of what is said in their decision making so just curious on what you think they should do to survive in these economic times? Ill open mind to what you have to say and try to not be negative. So let's hear it...

Ditto,we all want to hear some new good ideas ! We are all ears !

I never understood about the lack of communication when you have the internet. I37 has never taken advantage of using it. Meaning you cant simply post information without being able to answer some questions every once in awhile. If someone has a question regardless what the answer is post it for the world to see. I have always had the impression reading peoples questions that they didnt want to answer it or they were hiding something. Good bad or whatever having everyone informed is the best tool you have why not use it?

First I dont think everything falls on the track or tracks shoulders. Obviously the racers themselves have to step up and take on some of the pressures.

I always thought the first race of the year for each track should be a benefit race meaning the track takes in the money but nothing goes out. This should get the track or tracks off to a good start espicially when you add a reasonable registration fee for each car but not too high.

The houston area recently had 4 tracks racing the same Saturday Night for the first time in a long long time. In previous years of the 4 tracks you always had 1 closed but never 4 open at the same time for a full year. The economy has taken its toll but too many tracks fighting for the same cars and fans and sponsors for the same night took a much bigger role. Now with I37 going to Saturday I see the same thing happening in this area with less cars and less fans. There has always been a Friday option for racing. Now we have more Saturday options then ever before. I37 going to Saturday may not hurt them but I dont see it helping them either. With SOS and STS working together everyother week I cant see why I37 couldnt figure out a way to make Friday work for them. In other words I see other things being the issue not Friday. It was established and known everywhere they run Fridays. So forget about the drivers who have the extra money and time to visit and come from the other tracks as they wont have that option. With you going back to IMCA wouldnt Friday help get those out of town guys running for points a possibility? With STS might not be running Mods has anyone approached SOS about going IMCA and having two close IMCA tracks? Each of the three tracks through the year have bigger money races in all the classes and when they do it will take away from the other two tracks that night. Non of the tracks can afford a purse war but you know thats what will go on. I37 and SOS had decent car counts in Limiteds, Pure Stocks and Street Stocks with some of those cars running at both tracks. Anyways my point about this was the tracks should have tried to work something out and a plan before moving race days ontop of each other. SOS would have been a easy group to talk to and I am sure STS would have listened as well. This possibly could have opened the doors getting the class rules somewhat together.

As far as things I witnessed everytime I went to I37 were the obvious things you must have to have any kind of success.

First your own family member cant be on the track racing. Thats rediculous for obvious reasons. Nor can your car with a different driver. It could work if favortism didnt come into play but we know thats not the case either. Start the races on time when you post it. This has never happened, ever.

I think the caution laps added up more then the racing laps. Lack of wreckers and crews helping getting racing back to green. Not sure now but nobody was on the track with direct communication with scorekeepers for lineups. I am a stickler for the rules like many but you cant put the tech man in a position to sometimes do his job and sometimes not do his job. Everyone knows that part has never been corrected. And for the love of God stop trying to kiss the ass of asphalt drivers and focus on those that are at your track. They have lost more dirt drivers then they could ever get from the closing of any asphalt track which isnt happening in 2010. So do I have a dog in this fight? Well I have 3 stockcars and a young nephew coming into his own in a couple years. We drive 3 hours to race at SOS which is twice the distance of I37. I dont care to spend twice the fuel and get home after midnight but its a small sacrifice when I compare the two tracks.

BTW stop trying to make the wheel and start with the basics. Then new and creative ideas might be an additional option.

Archived