BORING!

abrungot

i agree most races suck but dega is an exception i think. I like the cars all bunched together going from first to last cause the guy behind you hung you out. I loved it when kyle went to the outside for a run and the guys jumped off the line and he went staight backwards. takes friends, takes positioning, took a lot of brass ones to run like that. Yes the cot is a sucky car but a train will flip upsideside if you turn it backwards at 190mph. I wont blame that on this car. The restrictor plate went down 1/64" about 12-15hp in order to keep speed down, not bunch the cars.If your runnin flat footed the whole race thats what is gonna happen. Even with the plate the 17 had a speed of 199mph.could you imagine the 39 turnin backwards at 200+, he would have wound up in row 50. Not complaining about those complaining but if you hate it so much please dont watch. that would solve your problem and it would keep you from irritating us. jmo but it really seems their are alot of guys out here that are just nascar haters, is it the new cool thing to rebel against or are you guys related to kyle bush. (come on you know that was funny;)

MY MOTTO: IF YOUR NOT HAVEING FUN ,YOU SHOULD BE DOIN SOMETHING ELSE.

Ryan Newman is not known as a "crybaby". As a driver he spoke from the heart. The wreck was inevitable, NA$CAR wants the "Big One", it sells tickets. Nobody that I know likes fixing bent cars. He has the right to express his displeasure. I am glad he is alright, hanging upside in your wrecked car is not a safe or comfortable feeling. JMO Lenny66 B)

dega has been taged over the years for the big one ..and daytona .....thats why so many poeple go to those races .....they sit and waite for the big one ....if both tracks were like all the other large tracks .spread apart racen ..what would the stands look like then ...nascar though i dont agree with them telling the drivers how to race ...have a gold mine in both of those races ........... drivers are the problem for most of the wrecks .... there were times one car was bump drafting the car in front and pushing that car forward till it pushed the car in front .and so on .i saw five cars being pushed by one in the back ..now we who have raced knows if your being pushed .you dont have full control of your car ...and unless the pusher lets go .crap is going to happen ...and that is where 90 percent of those wrecks have been started ........whats the salution ...dont know ...

NASCAR doesn't want "the big one." Wrecks like that are bad for the sport. They know how to solve the problem without restrictor plates, but they don't like that solution, so they keep looking for another option.

Unfortunately, there isn't one. They need to just give in to physics and take the banking down...

The solution is as easy as making the teams run a nose and tail with stock dimensions and shape. Loosen up those cars like they did in the 70-'s. Make the drivers do just that--DRIVE them. If if they are scared, there are plenty of replacements available.

Do we see Newman getting a fine from NASCAR for "actions detrimental to stck car racing" for his comments?

I hope they take into consideration the fact that the roll bars were sitting on his helmet. With this car that was not supposed to happen. Maybe if they were running the old car and he flipped in this manor he might not have survived the wreck, maybe he would have never flipped....who knows. I hope he doesn't get punished, really tramatic thinking of how close he came to never seeing his loved ones again.

After a couple of days to reflect perhaps something positive can come from his accident that might improve safety at Dega.

Mel

Not complaining about those complaining but if you hate it so much please dont watch. that would solve your problem and it would keep you from irritating us. jmo but it really seems their are alot of guys out here that are just nascar haters, is it the new cool thing to rebel against or are you guys related to kyle bush. (come on you know that was funny;)

Look, I may not have been around as long as most of you...lol...anyway, but I have been watching long enough to know there has been a considerable decline in the entertainment value of the drivers driving the cars as someone else put it. I don't have an answer to fix it but as a fan for many of years, it would be nice to see something done to make it a race again. Cars riding in the back of the pack is not racing. Me complaining on here or anywhere else isn't going to fix anything yes, but me doing so lets me vent and get other perspectives especially in a public forum like this.

I agree Jamie. Maybe NASCAR will be able to get the message as the crowds continue to decline and the TV ratings take a back seat to other sporting events being shown. Problem is they ae thinking its all about the economy right now and some of it probably is, but its always been my experience (and thats been one of those long timers you mentioned) that real fans will scrimp and save if they have to, to go to their favorite tracks. Real fans weren't watching for that big one to happen as some have implied, but it sure would be better to see some better competition because what I did watch Sunday reminded me a whole lot of IH 35 Northbound around 5PM on a work day.

After mulling a little bit and remembering what I could of how it STARTED for me, here is my best attempt of how to fix it. Get back to the grass roots of racing. Reward the long time fans for being just that. I think NASCAR may be surprised by the increase of long time and former fans as compared to the loss of the newbies. Get away from running on Saturday nights and let them be for the the home grown racers. As many before me have said, let the cars look like cars again; a Chevy is a Chevy a Ford a Ford. I know most of if not all of this has been said before but never hurts to see again. If you complain you should at least attempt to offer a way to fix it. Thanks Nick...lol

I've been watching NASCAR for years now, I'm not old, but I've seen many generations of cars. I often wondered one thing: At what point do we say "thats enough" to making the car as "safe" as possible? I understand that advances in helmet/suit design, roll cage design, fire supression and impact wall systems have improve GREATLY. In my opinion, when in the heck did we forget that they are going 200+ MPH??? So you think, lets slow it down, right? Hell no, nobody wants to see that. So what needs to be done? I think its very easy to implement the existing saftey devices into true stock appearing cars. This would be a start. Take all of those damn "body jigs" and throw them in the garbage. Gimme a frame height guage, a wheel base requirement and a handful of motor rules and lets get some racing going.

I look at Formula One, the absolute PINNACLE of motorsports. Felipe Massa got SMACKED in the head by a spring this year (which cause major cranial trauma), are they going to require cockpit covers next year? Hell no! Formula One still pushes the utmost limits of speed, with a set of guidlines for saftey. In my opion they are simply saying "its dangerous, do these (saftey) things, other than that..you're friggin racing". Year to year forumla one becomes the leading motorsport in chassis engineering, design and speed.

So if we look at saftey in motorsports as a whole, how many deaths are actually taking place year to year? 5? 10 tops? Mostly on an amature level, where strict safety guidlines aren't as tight? So whats all the damn fuss about!?

Alright, theres my point, so I can say to myself: If nascar we're to relax about the COT safety and throw away the body jigs would we return to better racing? I would say, yes, its a start. Both the car of yesterday and the COT sucked. Yesterdays car was a bit better racing, IMO, but still not the days of the 1988 monte carlo.

I also wonder to myself: When I was younger, I idolized Davey Allison. I knew his car, number, sponsors and everything about him. He was my guy, until his death. None the less, I continued watching racing, quickly finding another racer as a hero. Throughout NASCAR history, the guys that got up on the wheel and drove hard became Heros, Idols and Celebrities to us. What will happen to the generation of kids that start watching racing NOW. Who do they route for? Who will they dislike? This racing is boring, it sucks...so in 10 years when those kids want to do something involving speed, are they going to want to get into stockcar racing??? For some reason I think, no. Digger didn't do much either.

i agree most races suck but dega is an exception i think. I like the cars all bunched together going from first to last cause the guy behind you hung you out. I loved it when kyle went to the outside for a run and the guys jumped off the line and he went staight backwards. takes friends, takes positioning, took a lot of brass ones to run like that. Yes the cot is a sucky car but a train will flip upsideside if you turn it backwards at 190mph. I wont blame that on this car. The restrictor plate went down 1/64" about 12-15hp in order to keep speed down, not bunch the cars.If your runnin flat footed the whole race thats what is gonna happen. Even with the plate the 17 had a speed of 199mph.could you imagine the 39 turnin backwards at 200+, he would have wound up in row 50. Not complaining about those complaining but if you hate it so much please dont watch. that would solve your problem and it would keep you from irritating us. jmo but it really seems their are alot of guys out here that are just nascar haters, is it the new cool thing to rebel against or are you guys related to kyle bush. (come on you know that was funny;)

maybe it's our love and passion for this incredible sport (and nascar's slow decline of actual RACING) that makes us complain...it's nothing like it used to be...anyone, even non-racing fans, can see that....

on the up side, tho...my lack of interest in nascar over the past several years has kept me at our local tracks supporting the local drivers/teams...so, i guess i should thank nascar for screwing things up, huh? ;)

OK enough will all the BS, here is what I think,

1. If you take off restrictor plates you will probaly see speeds in excess of 220 mph, no type of cup car is safe at that speed.

2. give them smaller motors and you have just restricted their HP, same as restrictor plates.

Here is my solution

1. Eliminate super speedway tracks and you will eliminate the need for restrictor plates, you will not see Jimmy running at the back of the pack for long.

2. Allow one chassis, one body, and one rear spoiler to allow the best driver to be the best driver not the best drafter to be the best driver / know what I mean.

JMO

OK enough will all the BS, here is what I think,

1. If you take off restrictor plates you will probaly see speeds in excess of 220 mph, no type of cup car is safe at that speed.

2. give them smaller motors and you have just restricted their HP, same as restrictor plates.

Here is my solution

1. Eliminate super speedway tracks and you will eliminate the need for restrictor plates, you will not see Jimmy running at the back of the pack for long.

2. Allow one chassis, one body, and one rear spoiler to allow the best driver to be the best driver not the best drafter to be the best driver / know what I mean.

JMO

Nascar will never do away with the superspeedways, simply because they can get more fans in the gate. All about the dollar. And there is only one chassis, one body and one rear spoiler. The decals are the only differance. :angry: Little Brian France sees $$$$ everytime there is the big one cus it draws people to the track to see the wrecks. Sad but true.

I think nascar should put a few dirt track races on the schedule and lets see who can actually drive and not worry so much about who has the most money in research and development... Then the racing will get back to the original grass roots of racing...

u know? watching the prelude, i realized that these guys seem to get lost in the whole nascar thing. when they are on dirt, it's like they are completely different drivers (i know...different cars, different tracks) but, i'm talking about their whole ATTITUDE about it. tony stewart, in his pre-race interview, was practically jumping out of his skin to get to the racing...you just don't see that kind of enthusiasm with these guys at the nascar tracks. if nascar could somehow get that old "racing" thing back for them, i think it would make it as entertaining as it used to be "back in the day"....just my opinion, tho... ;)

maybe it's our love and passion for this incredible sport (and nascar's slow decline of actual RACING) that makes us complain...it's nothing like it used to be...anyone, even non-racing fans, can see that....

on the up side, tho...my lack of interest in nascar over the past several years has kept me at our local tracks supporting the local drivers/teams...so, i guess i should thank nascar for screwing things up, huh? ;)

atleast theres an up side. All I'm sayin is yes most of the time nascar is boring.But I disagree on dega. 29 different leaders with 60 leader changes. It's the first time in a long time I didnt know who was gonna win. You can usally guess within about 5 drivers who gets the checker but not this race. I mean who thought mc murry had it.only thing you can do at dega to prevent the wrecks is not race there or lower the banking. I for one am looking forward to the busch races and the new cars( deleted these lines...sometimes I type without thinking)

And cudos for keeping this thread pleasent. my son who is 7 reads the speedzone and was really excited about the race this weekend but i can see him discouraged from all the people saying racing sucks. Hard to explain to him why race fans dont like the race.

you can not slow the cars down with anything that takes away horsepower and make it like the old days. Taking away an HP is doing the exact same thing the plates are doing. THe draft becomes your friend and you dont change a thing. If they want to get back to racing, then take away handleing. Period. If you cant get through the corners as fast, then you have to slow down and then race to the next corner. This will drop the speeds and make it a drivers game again. Make the tires harder. Take away all the stupid aerodynamic extras on these cars. It's rediculous. And a really simple fix. IMO... This works for controling cost too, even on the saturday night racer level.

There are two fixes that would actually work on the Super Speedways.

1) Take the banking angle down to 16 degrees on both ends.. or better yet, make one end 14 degrees and the other end 16 degrees.

2) Change the suspension/chassis rules to do away with the BB/ss setups that allow for huge amounts of downforce. To accomplish this, outlaw high rebound shocks (perhaps even issue mandatory shocks), mandate "stock" front nose pieces, require minimum front and rear wheel rates (spring rates) for each track and require Goodyear to provide hard compound tires for all tracks. Oh, and enforce the existing ride/frame/engine height rules.

If they did the suspension/chassis changes above, you could remove the plates and allow existing engines and drive trains on the super speedways. If they can't keep the air out from under the car, they can't flatfoot it on the super speedways. Of course, now the cars would want to become airborne since there would no longer be a vacuum under the cars.

Nick

I agree Jamie. Maybe NASCAR will be able to get the message as the crowds continue to decline and the TV ratings take a back seat to other sporting events being shown. Problem is they ae thinking its all about the economy right now and some of it probably is, but its always been my experience (and thats been one of those long timers you mentioned) that real fans will scrimp and save if they have to, to go to their favorite tracks. Real fans weren't watching for that big one to happen as some have implied, but it sure would be better to see some better competition because what I did watch Sunday reminded me a whole lot of IH 35 Northbound around 5PM on a work day.

dano i dont sit and waite for the big one ..i want to see good close racen . sad part is. those two restricted race tracks .cant seem to have one with out the other ...

Archived