Protest Results from TSRS Late Model Race on September 26

debwill

A formal protest was submitted following the September 26, 2009 TSRS (Texas Super Racing Series) Late Model race on the TSRS Late Model #14 driven by Jake Kruger.

After a post-race technical inspection and following a further inspection by a non-biased third party, the crankshaft on the #14 was found to be in compliance with the weight rule specified in the TSRS Late Models Technical Rules & Regulations, Page #5, Crankshaft.

Both parties involved in the protest are satisfied with the results of the protest.

The TSRS Staff appreciates the professionalism displayed by the car owners and drivers involved in the protest procedure.

The qualifying results and race win for the #14 will be upheld and will be reflected in the 2009 TSRS Late Model point standings.

Congrats to the 14 team, but im sure that was an expensive tech. The rules do not specify some of the speculation that was going around the pits last night so Im curious if anyone has come across this situation before. Does the cranshaft get weighed with or without the crank gear? I know that this crank rule is the same for alot of classes so Im just curious how the weight is determined. Thanks

Cory,

I suggest that you contact our Jack Sandefur, our Technical Director, to get an answer to your question. In that way, you'll get an official interpretation of the rule. You can reach him at 512-281-5489.

hmmmmmm?????

From a birds eye view, since I was there through the disassembly of the engine and the weighing this morning, the gear was left on and the pilot bushing was removed. Jack did say the rule will be more clearer next year as to what will and will not be included when weighing the crankshaft.

Here are the Protest Procedures from the 2009 TSRS Technical Rules:

PROTEST RULES

Protests may be issued ONLY by a 2009 Registered TSRS Driver.

The protest may ONLY address one item on the car, i.e., shocks, intake manifold, pistons, heads, etc.

The protest may NOT address a functional part of the car such as the engine, the suspension; it must be specific to one and only one part.

The protester must obtain a protest form from the Director of Tech, then complete the protest form and accompany that form with a $500.00 protest fee.

The protest form must be brought in person to the Technical Inspector immediately after the race and before the technical inspections begin.

Protests from another event night will not be accepted.

Only the Technical Inspector(s) will be allowed to view the protested car and that crew's work.

The protestor may watch the tear down from a designated area.

Technical Inspector will designate where the observer may watch from.

Results of the protest:

If the protested part is found to be illegal by the Technical Inspector:

The protest fee will be returned to the protestor.

Protested car will result in the loss of all points and purse money accumulated for that night.

If the protested part is found to be legal by the Technical Inspector:

The protestor will forfeit the $500.00 protest fee.

Any protest money retained as a result of a protest and inspection will be disposed of as follows:

25% of the fee to the Series.

75% of the fee will be given to the Driver of the car being protested, the winner of the protest!

From a birds eye view, since I was there through the disassembly of the engine and the weighing this morning, the gear was left on and the pilot bushing was removed. Jack did say the rule will be more clearer next year as to what will and will not be included when weighing the crankshaft.

The TSRS crankshaft rule reads as follows

Crankshaft*

A steel or cast crankshaft is allowed

The minimum weight of the crankshaft is 48 pounds

Knife edging, countouring, or stream lining is not allowed

All crankshafts must be within .0060 of OEM on the rod and main journals

No small journal crankshafts allowed

I would say that a crankshaft being weighed according to the TSRS rule is clear to all that no other objects, including a large amount of oil film shoud be allowed on the crankshaft prior to the weighing of a crankshaft.

To me the rule needs no modification or clearification and does not need to be tampered with.

Hey guys, I didnt ask the question to point fingers or to tarnish what the Krugers have accomplished. I am merely asking because I have never been around when a crank was teched and was just wanting to know if anybody else had experienced how it was done , just because of all the questions going around in the pits that night.

On a side note, I kinda have to agree with HRAY. That was a costly tech. That little bit from the protest and the purse wont cover that rebuild. But I am glad to see that the rules were followed and the racers complied by teching such parts. Great Job THR.

Archived