IMCA Southern Sportmod Natls LIVE updates sat 9/26/09

rebelracewriter

Sorry computer issues.....

Dowell Pins Down IMCA Southern SportMod Nationals Championship

Killeen's J.P. Dowell didn't believe it when he found himself in Victory Lane after all was said and done in the 25-lap A-Main event. Dowell, who ran in the top five most of the race found himself in the right spot at the right time when Kenneth Graves and Keith White made contact battling for the lead. White was slowed by a broken tie rod, while Graves recieved the black flag for rough driving. This left an opening for the surprised Dowell to pick the big win, in the borrowed car from Randy Doyle.

Polesitter, Chase Jupe beat Ronnie Welborn into turn 1 for the early lead of the 24-car A-main event. Brandon Stewart ducked under Welborn for second while Keith White, Kenneth Graves and Welborn tried to go three wide for third. Stewart kept on the march getting the top spot from Jupe on lap 2, with Welborn and Graves side by side for third and White wheel to wheel with Cary Stephens for fifth.

It was three wide again for fourth between White, Welborn and Stephens before White slipped up and fell back to seventh. By lap 5 Stewart and Graves, starting to show a little smoke were pulling away from Jupe and Stephens. In the meantime White White was working his way back up getting fifth from Welborn on lap 7. Up front Graves was trying the high side on Stewart getting by for the lead on lap 9.

Jacob Pirkle would bring out the yellow on lap 9 after finding himself in the front stretch wall. On the restart, Graves got a huge jump, with White moving up to third. Dowell took over fourth from Jupe on lap 11. Coming tio halfway the top three of Graves, Stewart and White had put some distance on Dowell, with Jupe rounding out the top five. Stewart then turned up the heat on Graves for the lead diving low in turn 3 on lap 15. White saw the opening up top and got by Stewart for second on lap16.

The top three continued to run nose to tail with White challenging Graves. White pulled along side Graves on lap 20 running side by side through turns 1-2. Again White ducked under Graves on lap 21 and ran wheel to wheel as they made contact in turn 2 and again in turn 3. As White started to fade with a broken tie rod, Dowell got past Stewart for second. Lap 22 saw Graves recieve the black flag as Dowell tried to close the gap. The black continued to be shown to Graves, who crossed the line first, but it was Dowell in the All-Tex Cabling, Braka Operating, Bones Cracked Ribs BBQ, McDermitts Club, Silver Wings Saloon, Rod & Beatles Rose Garden, Danny's Transmissions, TINA AWBA Busniess Woman of the Year, E&E Collision, Pro Image Graphics, Cen-Tex Motorsports powered ASP(Ass Spankin' Productions II) Chassis.

"I didn't see what happened(to the leaders)," replied Dowell. "I was back there trying to catch Keith(White) and Brandon(Stewart) and saw them move up so I dove under both of them. The 4car(Kenneth Graves) had been smoking and I thought they were blascking flagging him for smoking. They showed the white and black flag, but I wasn't sure. It was same at the checkers and I thought to myself that there's no way I just won this race. Sure enough we were the ones to pull into the Winners Circle."

"At the beginning of the race we were pretty good, struggling with some forward bite. Once we started getting into lapped traffic, I thought we might have a chance at this. We down to the end, had some drama ahead of us, and things just went our way. I've been racing for sixteen years and been on the other side before. Tonight things just went our way."

"We ran Randy's car last year in couple big races and did good. He asked me if I wanted to drive this weekend and I said heck ya, I'll drive anything. Randy's car is pretty good, he and I are neighbors and, of course he helps Keith(white) and Keith helps him. I wanted to thank Randy and everyone else that helps out."

"There's not much you can do on these cars(SportMods). I'm used to changing the bars and everything around. With these you pretty much just put fuel in it and go for it. My driving style is still pretty much the same. When it's dry slick you have to keep from spinning the tires. With these you have to keep your momentum because they don't have as much motor."

"I feel terrible for Keith(White) it was his race," added car owner Randy Doyle. "We were perfectly content with third or fourth place. But this is absolutely great. Keith and J.P. have helped me out so much that I wouldn't be here without them. I've been with Keith for 14 years and he and his guys are just as proud as we are.'

" This is my first full year of racing and I had a pretty good year. But coming in here with all these hotshoe here, I didn't want to tangle with them. J.P. has run my run my car and done good so putting him in my car wasn't an issue. I just wanted to give him good equipment. I learn a lot from him when he drives the car. I'd love to be the one out there in the Winner's Circle, but we do this as a team."

IMCA Southern SportMod A-Main

65 JP Dowell, Killeen

2 Brandon Stewart, Academy

355 Cary Stephens, Bells

28 Gabe Tucker, Carbon

02 BJ Dulock, Waco

5d Kevin Green, Robinson

55 TJ Green, Robinson

20 Ronnie Welborn, Princeton

11 Mark McDaniel, Elm Mott

5m Bobby Mercer, China Spring

31c Chase Jupe, Leroy

55t Eric Tomlinson, Robinson

4R Brian Rye, Corpus Christi

144 Jeff Turner, Kaufman

64 Devin Burgess, Stephenville

1kw Keith White, Academy

6c Caleb Stone, Hobbs, N.M

35 Jeff Emerson, Hobbs, N.M.

8 Danny Hogue, Abilene

83k Kenny Ware, Killeen

444 Trent Crawford, Midland

210 Jacob Pirkle, Midlothian

3p Eddie Prator, Italy

4g Kenneth Graves, Lubbock---DQ(Rough Driving)

** BJ Dulock, Slider Hard Charger Award-$100

White takes out frustration on Race of Champions field

After another disappointing SportMod Nationals run, Keith White took it out on the Race of Champions competitors. White worked his from the fifth row to the front, made a bold three deep pass for the lead, and then ran away from the pack for the victory.

National Points Contender, Chris Meyers got the jump on green, wile Ronnie Welborn and Robert Black ran side by side for second. Welborn held on to second, with Gabe Tucker getting by Black for third. Meyers chance for the win ended on lap when he slowed giving the point to Welborn. M<eyers rolled to a stop in between turns 3-4 to bring out a caution.

Once back to green, White got around Black for third and moved in on Tucker for second. Tucker held off the challenge and was putting pressure on Welborn for the lead on lap 4. With Welborn up top and Tucker on the bottom, White saw a hole open up in the middle and shot through for the lead on lap 6. In the opack, Johnny Torres moved in to battle with Jeff Turner for a top five spot.

White was increasing his lead over Tucker, while Turner closed in on Welborn for third. White stretched out his advantage with Welborn, Turbner and Tucker now nose to tail for the runner up spot. At the checkers it was White in the Traceys Auto Sales, Braka Operating, TCI, Amsoil, Belton Metals, Tubbs Paint & Body, D&S painting, Stephenville Starter, Cen-Tex Motorsports, Carrolls powered Big Chief Chassis.

"The hole just opened up," commented White. " I was faster through the middle(of the corners) on the top and the bottom then both of themn. They were getting in hard, but I could get through the middle better. It may have been a home field advatage knowing the race track too.

"The guys you run with in RoC hold their line and you can depend on them to race where they are. Everyone gives you room. I worked by Gabe(Tucker) and (Ronnie) Welborn and run up against them without them waivering."

"Winning the RoC is some solice. Last year the car was torn up so bad we couldn't even run this race. As far the incident this year, we're battling and we're racing hard. I don't feel that was the way we needed to do it. I know Kenneth(Graves) didn't do that on purpose, but it doesn't change the outcome of things. I like Kenneth and his family, and I hate that it happened."

IMCA SSM Race of Champions

1kw Keith White, Academy, Heart o' Texas Speedway

144 Jeff Turner, Kaufman, Boyd Raceway

20 Ronnie Welborn, Princeton, Lake County Speedway

28 Gabe Tucker, Carbon, Stephenville Speedway

66 Johnny Torres, San Antonio, I-37 Raceway

444 Trent Crawford, Midland, Champion Motor Speedway

355 Cary Stephens, Bells, Past Champion

95 Steven Abbey, Comanche, Kennedale Speedway Park

48 Mitch Tierney, Killeen,Texas Thunder Speedway

6c Caleb Stone, Hobbs, N.M., Cardinal Motor Speedway

8 Danny Hogue, Abilene, Abilene Speedway

07 Robert Black, Hallsburg, 85 Speedway

007 Chris Meyers, Eunice, N.M., Lady Luck Speedway

99 Matt Winnett, Colbert, Okla. Grayson County Speedway--DNS

IMCA Southern SportMod heat(winner to A-main)

Heat #1

5 Kevin Green

55T Eric Tomlinson

411 Chase Neill

7 Cody Frank

54R Justin Redmon

05 Dennis Purrington

Heat #2

3P Edie Prator

02 BJ Dulock

88x David Goode jr

38 Dean Abbey

66 Johnny Torres

68 Rusty Head

17 Chad Kosse

HEAT #3

55 TJ Green

210 Jacob Pirkle

444 Trent Crawford

12w Gary Fox

13s Sarah Goode

224 Mike McDougal

Heat #4

6c Caleb Stone

37 Bill Pittaway

44 Andrew Washburn

804 Chuck Copeland

711 Chase Daniels

13 Jeremy Rutenschroer

Heat #5

28 Gabe Tucker

35 Jeff Emerson

00 Brad Shirley

99 Matt Winnett

16 Donald Owens

127 Tommy Kays

Heat #6

64 Devin Burgess

007 Chris Meyers'

4R Brian Rye

4$ Kris Rye

27 Johny Lewellan

Sly1 Kevin Sustaire--DQ(Tech)

Heat 7

83k Kenny Ware

8 Danny Hogue

111 Michael Young

48 Mitch Tierney

712 Colton Monroe

5c Chris Cogburn

Heat 8

5m Bobby Mercer

95 Steven Abbey

144 Jeff Turner

31 Michael Martin

888 Aaron Lunsford

10d Don Painter

SSM B-mains(top 2 to A-main)

B-Main #1

02 BJ Dulock

55T Eric Tomlinson

38 Dean Abbey

411 Chase Neill

7 Cody Frank

66 Johnny Torres

17 Chad Kosse

88x David Goode jr

05 Dennis Purrington

68 Rusty Head

B-main #2

210 Jacob Pirkle

444 Trent Crawford

711 Chase Daniels

12w Gary Fox

804 Chuck Copeland

13 Jeremy Rutenschrer

44 Andrew Washburn

13s Sarah Goode

37 Bill Pittaway--DQ(Tech)

224 Mike McDougal---DNS

B-Main #3

35 Jeff Emerson

4R Brian Rye

007 Chris Meyers

16 Donald Owens

99 Matt Winnett

127 Cody Kays

00 Brad Shirley

4$ Kris Rye

Sly1 Keith Sustaire--DQ(Tech)

27 Johnny Lewellan—DNS

B-Main #4

144 Jeff Turner

8 Danny Hogue

5c Chris Cogburn

31 Michael Martin

111 Michael Young

10d Don Painter

712 Colton Monroe

888 Aaron Lunsford

95 Steven Abbey

48 Mich Tierney

07 Robert Black---DNS

Trevor Reed jumped out front at the start of the 15-lap Brazos Mini Sprint feature, with Amerin Betteridge and Dustin Davidson battling for second. The battle for the runner-up spot continued until Davidson got by Betteridge while trying to pass a lapped car. Davidson had nothing to catch Reed as he easily cruised to the victory.

Brazos Mini Sprint Main

28 Trevor Reed

31 Dustin Davidson

2 Amerin Betteridge

14 Jacob Gilliam

27 Rodney Coburn

42 Scott Blakely

88 Jimmy Davis

7 Reagan Reed

97 James Scruggs

Brazos Mini Sprint heat winners, 2 Amerin Betteridge, 28 Trevor Reed

Randy Henexson was into turn 1 for the start of the 15-lap Texas Winged Modified Association feature event. Richie Robins got by Henexson in turn 4 to lead lap 1, as the two fought it out side by side. Henexson finally retook the top spot on lap 5, with the caution flying on lap 6 when Edward Harcrow stopped in turn 4.

On the restart David Suggs got by Robins for second, while David and Charlie Williams held a family feud for fourth. Rick Poteet moved in that battle putting the heat on D. Williams for fifth. Poteet was able to get by both Williams' on lap 11 for fourth. Up front Suggs was pressuring Robins for second in the final laps as Henexson motored away to the checkers.

TWMA Main

37 Randy Henexson jr

1R Richie Robins

31 David Suggs

61 Rick Poteet

87 Charlie Williams

22 David Williams

11 Eddie Grmela

88 Brent Sheffer

2 Nick Cooper

23 Scott Trowel

55 Terry White