What Track?

Budman

I was on Google Earth earlier this evening and quite by accident came upon what appears to be a quarter mile dirt track in the Grand Prairie area. To the east of the track appears to be a drag strip. To the southwest are parking lots with about a million parked cars. I'm just curious what track this might be.

It is located at ..................... 32*45'20.41"N X 96*55'58.25"W.

Larry, first I typed in your (32° 45' 20.41"N 96° 55' 58.25" W) coordinates and got Cancun Mexico, but I new already whaere you were talking about. Forgot the +/- signs in front of the long/lat figures, LOL! So it's actually at (+32° 45' 5.39", -96° 55' 53.91") , and the dragstrip is what is known as Yellow Belly Dragway, and what use to be where the old Sportsdrome Speedway next door, there is just that 1/8th dirt oval left now. There use to be a full figure eight, and oval track there next door, now it's an Auto Dealers Wholesale Auction place now.

Rex Adrian was the last promoter that held races there I am pretty sure. Don that runs the www.soupupmagazine.com will more than likely have more on the details of this.

The track next door to Yellow belly is a 1/4 mile D shaped oval that is Grand Prarie Speedway now, it used to be 1/8 and ran mini and micro sprints when it was 1/8 mile. There was a rifle range between it and Sportsdrome before the auto auction bought the property. I think Yellow Belly still operates.

We spent yesterday in Irving looking at a great collection of vintage midgets, sprint cars, and Indy cars.

While we hated to miss a night of racing, we had this show on the radar for most of the year. THe vintage cars were a part of a much larger show held there every year.

Check out the pics at the following link:Manifolds on Main 2009

We also went by and got a couple pics of Yello Belly; it is still in operation, I think Friday and Sunday, may be also Wednesday. Grand Prairie was also running a Saturday night show, but we didn't stay.

post-21-1254089176.jpg

post-21-1254089192.jpg

post-21-1254089206.jpg

Archived