question ?

texaswicked

was wondering if there was a sight or a place to get info on certian races in the past that had a list of all the drivers that raced at a certain date.......the reason i ask is cause years ago my old man was throwing a bunch of stuff out of his house that he never used anymore or needed and i was hauling it off and spotted an old racing poster.... it was of texas world speedway and it was a summer race(have the date at home on it just not on top of head) which had pic of aj on it.... well not only did he have the poster but had 4 origianl race tickets from race and a pit pass... on the pit pass where a ton of signatures... aj foyt, and bobby allison are 2 that are on there but a bunch more i either cant read cause they worn or never seen the signature before so i wanted to get a list of the names so i could see if i could match them up... any help appreciated.... :ph34r:

Any questions you have about Texas World Speedway, can more that likely be answered by our very own in house TWS expert, Mr. Neil Upchurch. It also helps that he was the a director there for many years, especially during the time frame you speak of. Many of us spent time there and made laps there. But Neil Upchurch kept great records, when it comes down to who finished where or starting lineup etc. He goes by the user name NeilTPS on this forum. If you have the ability to scan these articles, we can more than likely decipher the signatures for you. IM Neil and I bet you can be fixed up.

the date of race was june 6 1976

Here is a link to the results for that USAC Sanctioned race:

USAC at TWS

Tom Williams is still around, does not have the wrecking yard anymore, outside of all the stuff piled around his house off FM 1518 in Schertz

Tom ran a couple of races in '75 with NASCAR. Talladega and Ontario, the ran the '76 Daytona 500. Never finished very well, but qualified and ran in the big show, that's nothing to thumb your nose at. He's probably still alive since he's only in his mid 60's. He drove the #38 Chevelle with a real estate company on the side. I think he owns a wrecking yard.

Tom is about 66, and he closed down T & M Auto parts a little while back.

The building is now occupied by Bexar Waste, a company owned by Henry Gutierrez of Schertz.

Henry is the owner of the restored Jungle Jim funny cars documented elsewhere on this forum, and is in the process of building at least two more. His company, Bexar Waste, was also a main sponsor on the Top Fuel Dragster Spencer Massey drove on the IHRA circuit before signing on with Prudhomme.

Tom W has kind of kept to himself since his son died in a highway accident several years back. He rarely hung around the parts yard after his son's death, usually would see his wife Catherine there.

I see him now and then, and while he is cordial, but he really doesn't seem to want to talk about the past.

Hey Tom, if you talk to Henry anytime, ask whatever happened to Harry Urbach and his son Ray Urbach. They had the Quaker Shaker TF/D out of San Antonio. One of the few that ran a Chevy Power Plant, instead of the Hemi like all the rest.

Archived