Texas Trey Mitchell ready for Five Flags this weekend

The Dream of Racing at Five Flags Speedway Comes True for Trey Mitchell

Mooresville, NC 9/22/09- The last time Trey Mitchell was in the seat of his #47 Ford Fusion he posted a career best second place finish in the PASS South series Independence 150 at Hickory Motor Speedway back in July. It has been nearly three months since Mitchell’s last race so as anyone can imagine the Wimberley, Texas native is eager to return to a place he loves so much; behind the wheel of a race car.

This weekend will mark Mitchell’s first career race at the famed Five Flags Speedway in Pensacola, FL; a place where he has dreamed of racing at since he started. It is the final Blizzard race of the season in Pensacola, one final chance for competitors to tune their cars up for the Snowball Derby later this year; a race Mitchell hopes to attempt. Mitchell has crew chief Freddie Query on his side. Query also turns the wrenches for Johanna Long who has already captured two Blizzard race wins this season.

Five Flags Speedway features an extremely abrasive surface that eats tires like no other short track in the Southeast. Teams will be required to pit for two tires during the 100 lap race on the ½ mile asphalt oval. Making the car handle and being good on the long run will be key to a successful race Friday night. Mitchell has made a season of being good on the long run all season long; running up to third before contact relegated him to sixth place at Greenville-Pickens and cutting through the field at Hickory en route to a second place finish his last two times out.

“I am extremely excited to race this weekend,” stated Mitchell. “We’ve had to cut back on our program to save money so we haven’t raced much in the past couple of months. Getting back behind the wheel is exciting, but to do it in Pensacola (Five Flags Speedway) is very exciting. I’ve dreamed of running there since I started racing. We’ve got bigger goals in mind for later in the season with the Derby down there in December, but right now we’re just focusing on going there this weekend to gain some experience so hopefully if we are back there in December we’ll have a good starting point once we unload for that first practice.”

“I feel like we have a little bit of a head start getting ready for this weekend’s race with Freddie (Query) as my crew chief. He’s won a couple of races already there with Johanna (Long) so he knows what the car needs to go fast there. The big thing for me will be to get experience racing there; learning the line and braking points. We’ve been good on the long runs most of the season, especially in the last two races we’ve run. The main thing that we will need to focus on if we go back there in December is qualifying; something that I’ve really struggled with so far this year,” added Mitchell.

With the experience of Freddie Query and the momentum of his last two races on his side, Mitchell will have an opportunity for one of his dreams to come true in Pensacola this week.

Stay tuned to www.treymitchellracing.com for all the latest news and information regarding Trey Mitchell Racing in 2009. For sponsorship related items contact Tonya McCallister with McCallister Precision Marketing at 803-361-6199. For public relations and website information contact Chris Ragle at cragle02@yahoo.com or call 704-706-3666.

Archived