What happened?

zoom

2 race nights on this motor since built. started losing power. cylinder leakdown showed good except for #5. air coming from valve covers.

Pulled it down, all other cylinders show a black fire pattern, cylinder 5 less so. Valves look like cylinder was running lean. Picture of the piston, the head has what looks like melted aluminum "flash" welded on it. If you look close, you can see the top compression ring in 2 places.

Anyone know what I did wrong? :(

cylinder5.jpg

Their two things that could have gone wrong. 1) the air gap of the ring was to tight. check your rings befor installing on to piston by placing them in the cyl. and checking with a feller gauge for proper gap. 2) the ring may not have set right when it was instaled. I hope this helps you.

Chase is correct here. Improper end gap on the rings.

Damage is not consistent with a foreign object getting in there, outside of the pieces of piston that were knocked off.

That aluminum flash on your head is the pieces of piston that were popped off.

I checked the ring end gap on all the cylinders, but apparently I missed this one. dadgum it I need to have folks stay away with their beer when I am building a motor. WAIT, what am I saying?. Yall come on over! :lol:

Looks like we caught it early, cylinder looks really good. Hone it out, New rod and piston, rings, bearings, and back together with it.

Archived