1996 Neon manual transmission problem

NickHolt

One of the folks who helps me out on the site has a 1996 Neon with a manual transmission problem.

She say it won't go into 4th or 5th or reverse, but is OK in the other gears. She also says that the shift lever feels loose to her.

Thoughts?

Nick

Nick, I have seen this happen on several Neons and PT cruisers over the years. If you go through the dealer you have to buy the cable to fix the problem. Go to Modern Performance and you can buy the booger bushings for 21.99 plus tax and that will fix the problem. She can even pick her favorite color <_< You do have to remove the console to get to the bushings on the shifter side, but its not that bad of a job. 2 bushings on the shifter side and 2 on the tranny side

http://www.modernperformance.com/booger-sh...ser-p-1681.html

Edit to add: I forgot that I have an extra set that I bought for my sons car when he still had it. Still in the package and its hers for 22.00 if she wants it. Pm me is she is interested in the bushings and we can arrange for someone to pick them up from my work the next couple of days

Its not a big job. You have to remove the console and shift boot to get to the ones on the shifter If I remember correctly. On the tranny side you have to remove possibly the battery and a couple of other things to get to the linkage. I dont remember exactly but its not all that bad a job.

http://www.modernperformance.com/blog/havi...al-transmission

• 4 weeks later...

While I am probably the last person on earth you want working on your car......

.... I had a 1998 Plymoth Neon, same thing happened. Could not get the bushings, had to buy the whole cable. So I went to Home Depot and bought a C clip (I have been told they are known as 'jesus clips') and a washer. Put the end of the shifter cable over the "nipple", placed the washer on next and then used C Clip to hold the washer and cable on. I had no issues with it after that. Probably spent $.75 and an hour fixing it. And yes, you have to remove the center console to do that, not hard, four screws if I remember correctly, two up front down low, and two (maybe four) inside the armrest, again, if I remember correctly.

And if I can fix it, ANYONE can fix this problem. I am mechanically challenged. Most days I know which end of a wrench to hold, mostly.

Hope this helps.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

P.S. Sarge giving greese monkey advice, wow, is that a pig I see flying in the air? LOL

Edited becuase I am such a poor mechanic, that I don't even know the difference between a Pontiac and Plymoth Neon. Can anyone explain how the johnson rod connects to the knuter vavle?

While I am probably the last person on earth you want working on your car......

.... I had a 1998 Plymoth Neon, same thing happened. Could not get the bushings, had to buy the whole cable. So I went to Home Depot and bought a C clip (I have been told they are known as 'jesus clips') and a washer. Put the end of the shifter cable over the "nipple", placed the washer on next and then used C Clip to hold the washer and cable on. I had no issues with it after that. Probably spent $.75 and an hour fixing it. And yes, you have to remove the center console to do that, not hard, four screws if I remember correctly, two up front down low, and two (maybe four) inside the armrest, again, if I remember correctly.

And if I can fix it, ANYONE can fix this problem. I am mechanically challenged. Most days I know which end of a wrench to hold, mostly.

Hope this helps.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

P.S. Sarge giving greese monkey advice, wow, is that a pig I see flying in the air? LOL

Edited becuase I am such a poor mechanic, that I don't even know the difference between a Pontiac and Plymoth Neon. Can anyone explain how the johnson rod connects to the knuter vavle?

You know why they call them "Jesus clips" right? Because every time you get the screw driver on it it take it off the next thing you here is "Jesus, where did it go!".. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

Thanks to your guys and gals. You diagnosed the problem correctly. I volunteered to try to fix it, but Hap, being the wise woman she is, decided to try her luck at A-1 Alternator in San Marcos, right down the street from her home.

So.. here we have a woman who knows very little about cars going to a repair shop with "transmission trouble." You know that's an open invitation to start ripping and not stopping until the customer bleeds to death.

Well, this did not happen. In fact, they installed new bushings and the bill came to $86.56. They could have charged her several hundred dollars and she never would have known the difference..

I'm not going to plug any business without an advertising agreement in place, but I was impressed with the integrity shown and wanted you folks to know how all this turned out.

Nick

Just goes to show people that not all shops take advantage of people. I think those shops should get the recognition for being honest and doing good work. Even if they dont pay to advertise on here. Thats just helping people know where to go to get stuff done without being ripped off. Kudos to A-1 Alternator in San Marcos, TX

Archived