Gm metric brakes vs. Wilwood gm III brakes

Mark Pinson

Guys the wilwood brakes we are asking opinions on are wilwood version of the stock brakes. not the big 4 piston calipers..

I am very familiar with the Wilwood GMIII calipers. My point was that they are roughly 3 times the cost of the stock GM metric calipers, and in my opinion, the trucks should stick with the stock calipers.

ok. make it an option and run them if you want. if you don't want to spend the money then dont.

That's how it all gets started Mark. That works fine until people start to think they no longer have a choice but to buy the better equipment.

Just curious, why would you think the trucks should upgrade to the GMIII calipers?

Sorry Chase... They are light weight(approx. 3lbs ea.) The seals in them are better. The overall design gives it the ability to help stop the vehicle better... Cars we have used them on stopped better. Granted these are street and road race cars, not Texas Trucks.

Mark

Sorry Chase... They are light weight(approx. 3lbs ea.) The seals in them are better. The overall design gives it the ability to help stop the vehicle better... Cars we have used them on stopped better. Granted these are street and road race cars, not Texas Trucks.

Mark

Mark, I completely agree with the fact that these are better calipers and even that they work better. An awesome 2-piston caliper would be even better....and more expensive. The question really is do the trucks need better brakes? I would say no, so leave well enough alone.

Chase,

Since my voice is as a sponsor of three trucks at this point and not as an owner or driver it is merely input. If the trucks were to go to the 604 or allow for the Mopar 360 crate then without a doubt it would be all about the brakes and not just calipers. These trucks are getting faster by introducing the USST trucks and a good possibility after we go back to Orlando this year that some of those guys will want to run with the trucks here. I'll ask and see but I know the trucks in Florida/Georgia dont run stock Metric Calipers. It's not about money, it is about safety and stopping...

On our "Mile Vette" we change the fluid after every 5 - 6 passes. I know we are talking calipers, but imagine hiw bad fluid gets cooked after slowing down from over 210MPH. The shut down is progressive, but you have to be on the brakes.

The stock calipers were never designed to be on a race car. Imagine the abuse they are taking. I feel to this point we have been lucky and not had any bad wrecks. I would have to check with John in California, but I believe they had a bad wreck two years ago due to brake failure.

Approx $3500 on a crate motor and only $250 difference to upgrade the calipers... I'm not asking for a $10,000 motor rule. Just something to think about.

Mark

I know I may be the minority on this, but my hopes are the neither the 604 nor the USST trucks are incorporated into the Pro Truck series. Give the series a chance to build as-is before we go making it another money pit series.

I've said it before - the USST trucks and the Pro Trucks are two completely different animals, and the thought of combining the two is a recipe for the eventual end of the series.

p.s. Mark, I appreciate the civil discussion on the topic by the way. I just feel strongly about keeping the trucks the affordable series that it is.

The reason I was asking the questions is because I broke the right front caliper. I had to replace it so I was wondering if it was worth the extra $70 to buy the better caliper. I have decided to upgrade and I'm happy with it. As far as incorporating the USST trucks with the HMP Pro Trucks I believe it would be a very good ideal. The two can run together with rules. How long is HMP going to continue the trucks series with only 9 trucks showing up. We have 3 different styles of trucks show up and have 17-20 trucks. I believe in containing the cost of the trucks also. Buying a $100 dollar caliper is cheap compared to other brake calipers. I want a decent brake caliper trying to stop a 3200 .lb truck at 100 mph. The thing keeping the trucks series alive is the fact that its cheaper. I ran a Modified 4 cylinder, now thats expensive. Our engines are glorified super stock engines. 358 max cubic in, 9.5 to 1 compression, steel head with no port and polishing. I have about $3000 in my engine including accessories. I can promise you that adding USST trucks to your rules will improve your shows, especially the big shows. Mark Pinson #1 USST

Archived