Shannon Eridsen takes IMCA Sprint championship at Boone

NickHolt

Eriksen steers to Sprint championship at IMCA Speedway Motors Super Nationals

BOONE, Iowa (Sept. 8) – It’s not unusual for a race car driver to get a hug from his sister in victory lane.

It’s a rare occurrence, however, when that hug comes from the sister he passed for the lead.

Shannon Eriksen caught up with his sister Jennifer after she spun while running at the front of Tuesday’s Jackpot Junction Tour feature field at Boone Speedway. After steering around Jennifer’s wobbly ride, he led the next 18 circuits and captured the IMCA Speedway Motors Super Nationals Sprint Car championship.

He’d dedicate the victory to their father Dave, now undergoing radiation and chemotherapy for throat cancer.

“It’s been hard for him to get our cars ready,” Eriksen said. “Both Jennifer and I wanted to win tonight because we don’t know if this will be our last trip to Boone and it was a fantastic race.”

Chris Graf took runner-up honors and earned his second series title, edging third place finisher Brett Geldner for the title by all of two points.

Neil Stevens raced his way back to fourth after going off the track on the opening lap and Jennifer Eriksen rounded out the top five.

Jennifer, the 2007 series champion, led the first seven laps from her pole start, going to the extreme high side of the track on turn four and diving into a lower line.

She got sideways in the first set of turns, but recovered and held onto fourth until Stevens took the position away on the final lap.

Shannon, the 2008 tour king, took the opening green flag from outside row one and was in the right place at the right time to take advantage of Jennifer’s miscue, steering adroitly into the lead.

“I just prayed I could get around her and not run into her when I saw what happened,” he said from victory lane. “The win tonight was absolutely the highlight of my career. I’m looking forward to enjoying the moment with my family.”

Eriksen’s Super Nationals win paid $1,000.

Bruce Allen ran sixth in the 19th Super Nationals main event appearance of his career. Defending race winner Tim St. Arnold was part of a heat race melee and did not start the feature.

Feature results –

1. Shannon Eriksen, Lakeville, Minn.;

2. Chris Graf, Glencoe, Minn.;

3. Brett Geldner, St. Peter, Minn.;

4. Neil Stevens, Bingham Lake, Minn.;

5. Jennifer Eriksen, Burnsville, Minn.;

6. Bruce Allen, Mankato, Minn.;

7. Donovan Peterson, Brookings, S.D.;

8. Brandon Allen, St. Peter, Minn.;

9. Justin Saathoff, Bruce, S.D.;

10. Brett Allen, Kasota, Minn.;

11. Nate Laugen, Lake Mills;