CC Speedway Hall of Fame

ThomasCox

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mike, Walter was damn good on that bike considering his age. How old were you two youngsters?

teens ...... yes he was good very good for his age .....sure do miss him .and what would i pay to see him ride again ...stand on that stand wave a flag ..ride through the parades with his lighted train ...or just sit and visit with him at the track ,,its to bad most drivers today didnt get the chance to know such a man ..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
How about Doug McBee

Then we better add Johnny Thomas stock #00 from early mid 70's i think he won 2championships, my brother Phil Bowers built his motors they came from mathis. In the 80's Dennis McClain won races and championshipsin all 3 classes stock, hobby and super. His dad Mac was a great wrench. And how bout Pat the lady that took pictures for years!

How about Doug McBee

Then we better add Johnny Thomas stock #00 from early mid 70's i think he won 2championships, my brother Phil Bowers built his motors they came from mathis. In the 80's Dennis McClain won races and championshipsin all 3 classes stock, hobby and super. His dad Mac was a great wrench. And how bout Pat the lady that took pictures for years!

pat johnson. 44 pinto. we raced her and doug .along with larry kraus .frank carpenter robert and gary driggers mister rotory mazda robertson ....david evans .eric wilson .dale fatman sulivan boys mike knotts...along list of other forgoten names ...

I think this is a great idea, especially with a track with the history this one does. May I suggest that the person(s) whose the driving force behind this take a look at what Heart O' Texas Speedway in Waco did with their wall of fame, very nicely don, and I believe it was all done through donations. I think they induct 5(?) people a year, not all drivers, but other people who played a significant role in the track. As a newcomer to CC Speedway I was surprised not to see some mention of the history of the place on display. Might I also reccomend dividing the grandstands into sections and naming them after significant people as well.

Steve

How about Doug McBee

Gravedigger. LOL

• 1 year later...

i know this is old post but while its on my mind heres a few names, tom riley, levi taylor,bruce sanders, joe simpson, crazy james thompson, johnny unitis,perry etheridge monty nichlos jarret rollins, how about pat the photographer she would run across the infield to take a pic of winning driver then run back to starting line to take one more pat johnson i think was her name. i may still have some sunday morning newspapaer clippings of the race results my mom would cut and save

i know this is old post but while its on my mind heres a few names, tom riley, levi taylor,bruce sanders, joe simpson, crazy james thompson, johnny unitis,perry etheridge monty nichlos jarret rollins, how about pat the photographer she would run across the infield to take a pic of winning driver then run back to starting line to take one more pat johnson i think was her name. i may still have some sunday morning newspapaer clippings of the race results my mom would cut and save

pat johnson also raced the 44 pinto and was really good at hand painting numbers and letters .an art no one does any more or rarely seen . heck i cant get my wife to paint numbers and letters anymore takes a lot of time . .the old cheater print it now .your proof old threads never die .

• 2 weeks later...

Wow alot of good drivers and people who have been around cc speedway. Ive been going there since 1986 when I was 4. So I will try to name the drivers from that time lol.

Rick Rapp

Bruce beddoe

Chuck barber

Troy bird

Hienmans

Carlucci sr and jr

Larry smith

Shirley blakley I think thats what her name was

Dan monroe

Papa greene

Donnie and carol yoakum

Frank

Walter the flagman

Freddie and his crew

Kendall laughflin jr I think

Flanigans

Monty nichols

Tommy temple

Mike denmon

carlock

Lawrence

And the voice of cc speedway Mr. Martin

Also it would be cool if anyone had some old pics or some old videos that can be posted up in the hall of fame. Then interview the first inductees of there best memories of the track and people they raced against. So that some of these young bucks and future racers can see how much this track and the people around it meant to them. Man that would be awesome

Marine, you and I are the same age and agree with that list, I would only add Slick Yeomans, David Horton, Scott Sullivan, Stephen Carpenter, GB Carter, (some four cylinder love). I'll have to go back through the many pictures I have/took to create more from our era. Glad you mentioned Walter, growing up he was CC Speedway to me.

There is a nice video on YouTube on the Carlock family and their origins of opening the track. Videos by Donna was a long time standby of CC too, we always sit near her old stand, always have, always will. We still sit towards turn 1 at any track we go to.

Yeah I remember always running up to walter before he got up into the flagstand and shaking his hand. I also would sit in turn one every saturday night. Only because the pits use to be right there in turn one. I would sit by the fence and watch all the cars come out. Then when they moved the pits we would sit in those stands in turn one

Hahah yeah I remember those nights. Definitely going to bring some pics out on the 17th. I have a VHS of highlights from the 86-87 season that iam going to try and copy to cd. Gonna make a few copies and give them to some of the racers that want one

Archived