CC Speedway Hall of Fame

ThomasCox

If we were to start a CC Speedway Hall of Fame, who would you suggest putting on it and why?

If you know they won championships please list them.

We're looking for drivers, promoters, staff members and anyone else who made a significant contribution to the history of CC Speedway.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Between sportsmod and champ1796 the list is pretty complete except for one . The original owner Dick Lundstrom (I think that is name, been awhile). I would have to include Bruce Sholers as well as my dad and I worked on that car when I was a kid and was notable being it was bright pink as well, the Buru lounge special! Very hard to leave out the Flanagan's as well not only as racers but for all the exhaust systems they built back in the day.

I believe you must add Freddy Mallick and the other fire and safty crew.Freddy has been there saving us from ourselves since I started my campaign in 1994 and I have seen him professionally on several occasions.

And of course Dinnie Yocum is the man responsible for my calling CC Speedway my home track even though I live 135 miles away.

Rick Rapp showed my the difference between dirt and asphalt and I believe hes the fastest man at CC Speedway with a lap of 13 seconds.

And you cxant forget Walter Shoemaker,the flagman who everybody loved and who loved everybody.Sometimes I still think I see him overlooking the nites event.

With over 60 years of history it must be pointed out that many people are responsible for this history and not all are drivers.I feel humbled every time I drive through the pit gate knowing how many lives this place has affected.Most especially me.

Now we are seeing another re-birth that will continue this trend.A museum is long overdue.

Between sportsmod and champ1796 the list is pretty complete except for one . The original owner Dick Lundstrom (I think that is name, been awhile). I would have to include Bruce Sholers as well as my dad and I worked on that car when I was a kid and was notable being it was bright pink as well, the Buru lounge special! Very hard to leave out the Flanagan's as well not only as racers but for all the exhaust systems they built back in the day.

Correction, Bill Carlock built the track so I think that would make him the 1st owner, but I agree that Dick Lundstrom should be on the list too. Another one is Bob Johnson who lost his arm while flagging from the infield.

Donna

I think eveybody has named a great group of people but there are 2 gentalman that have been left out in my opinion they are Greg Carlucci Sr and Dan Monroe .Weather you loved them or loved to hate them they put lots of people in the stands just to see what was going to happen next

Tonight at driver's meeting I am going to announce the CC Speedway Hall of Fame and that I need 1 driver from each class to help with nominations and inductions. I am also adding the three members of the Fan Advisory Council to this committee and I will be adding two staff members as well.

We will select nine nominees and from there shorten the list to three inductees to be announced at our banquet, which I believe will be at Backwoods Saloon this year. That was the unanimous choice, right?

I have noted all of the people mentioned in this thread and will be taking other suggestions as well.

Anybody have any stories about Al Yeomans or Billy Hardcastle? Those are the only two people here that I am not familiar with.

Tonight at driver's meeting I am going to announce the CC Speedway Hall of Fame and that I need 1 driver from each class to help with nominations and inductions. I am also adding the three members of the Fan Advisory Council to this committee and I will be adding two staff members as well.

We will select nine nominees and from there shorten the list to three inductees to be announced at our banquet, which I believe will be at Backwoods Saloon this year. That was the unanimous choice, right?

I have noted all of the people mentioned in this thread and will be taking other suggestions as well.

Anybody have any stories about Al Yeomans or Billy Hardcastle? Those are the only two people here that I am not familiar with.

billy hardcastle was one tough racer ..been to many years .but i remember he went over the wall in turn three landed on top of a pipe fence something like that .broke his car into .and that purty much retired him from driveing ..

We forgot about putting your name in the mix oldtimer. Didnt you use to hunt dinosaurs on that property when you was a little kid? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I couldnt help myself. It was just to easy to type that. Im sure Im going to pay for it. :lol:

that right there is funny ...i spent alot of time helping the track out starting back in the 70.s .but in no way shape or form .qualified for the hall of fame ..there is to many that have done way more for racen and its past than i ........thanks for the laugh .

I think some of the folks that have been around the track for many years should be included in this process. Not to take anything away from current drivers, fan council or current staff members, but they may not know enough of the track history to include proper consideration. I would not be in a hurry to come up with the first round of inductees or nominees. Lots of great folks to consider and I think if you are going to do it, do it right and get input from many. I love the whole idea but I wouldnt limit the nominees to 9 or the inductees to 3 the first time around. Maybe up it to 25 nominees and induct 6 or 7. It would be great for this to be an annual thing and with proper participation it will be a lot of fun. Great Idea nonetheless

Does anyone know when they first broke ground at CCS , how long did it take to build, and when was the first race? And who raced that first day?

All I know is what has been told to me and what is on a program from 1992 that I am currently in possession of.

"...In 1945 Bill Carlock scratched out a track in a field and C.C. Speedway was founded."

Maybe someone else has a more detailed history.

Does anyone know when they first broke ground at CCS , how long did it take to build, and when was the first race? And who raced that first day?

All I know is what has been told to me and what is on a program from 1992 that I am currently in possession of.

"...In 1945 Bill Carlock scratched out a track in a field and C.C. Speedway was founded."

Maybe someone else has a more detailed history.

my father in law who was at cc tonight maybe able to shed some light on all that .. he use to sneak out on saterday nights without his dad knowing and raced an old indian bike on that track .it was dirt then ..also mike carlock can shed some light aswell .it was his dad who built it ..

Freddie Barnec won 7 track championships, Dub Rollins also won 7. As far as I know, those are the most by any one driver. I think Bruce Beddoe is up there with about 6 and James Mikulencak also won 5 or 6.

Dont leave out Billy Joe Ruziska and Mike Flanagan. Both very fierce competitors in their day.

I think eveybody has named a great group of people but there are 2 gentalman that have been left out in my opinion they are Greg Carlucci Sr and Dan Monroe .Weather you loved them or loved to hate them they put lots of people in the stands just to see what was going to happen next

I totally agree with this post, and lets not forget Greg Carlucci Jr, by far one of the most exciting drivers to watch ever in the Super Street class. Look at all the titles he's won at that track in spite of the controversial opinions.

John Heineman, Rick Rapp was an awsome driver as well, and should also be considered.

GB Carter, Lalo, Jessie Sandoval, Will Robertson, all need to be considered for this as well, as some of the best Thunder drivers to ever grace our track.

I'm sure there are more, but most important to us, has got to be Dan Monroe for all the years supporting this track and then turning around and giving us a place to race in spite of the hardships at first.

What about Walter (flagman), and Freddie guy's (The Firecrew)?

Lastly, Donnie and Carol Yokum have my vote handsdown for going into their pockets to make this track viable for all the years they ran the place.

:ph34r: Dennis (aka: Desert COP) :ph34r:

We forgot about putting your name in the mix oldtimer. Didnt you use to hunt dinosaurs on that property when you was a little kid?

I couldnt help myself. It was just to easy to type that. Im sure Im going to pay for it.

I totally agree, OT was around before the great flood and would be an awesome addition no matter how humble he is. He's helped dozens of racers in the past and maybe more with getting their cars set up. Some pretty damn good advice on how to drive the track as well. He'd have my vote hands down as well!

:ph34r: Dennis (aka: Desert COP) :ph34r:

All good names. Of recent drivers and staff, Bruce Beddoe,Larry Smith, Joey Heinaman, Kevin Harms, Greg Carlucci jr., and you know I'm including John Henry Witzsche, Tommy Wynd, there are a lot of good drivers that should be included. The Yocums were hard nose racers, Harold Cope was a good driver qnd tech man.

There are plenty of people that are deserving of this honor and I think you could make a case for everyone mentioned so far. If it is to be a yearly thing but also a late start (since the speedway has been around since the 40's ), I still like the idea of inducting more people the first year as sort of a way to get it kick started so to speak. Then add a few people each year. I personally love the idea no matter what the formula is.

Archived