classes for 2010 season

Now I will say that several Mod and Limited drivers in the Houston area have expressed an interest with IMCA but how many will commit to traveling 60-120 mile a week for a sanction is up in the air. How many Waco area driver's will commit to driving that far for sat. night racing is what HRH really needs to know when considering IMCA. I am not opposed to IMCA in the open wheel classes but stock car count is not as critical as the open whhel counts.,....Fans like a great Mod race and Sport Mods always put on a GREAT show. But how many will come down????

If the Waco and Houston drivers can't make this "meeting" whenever it may be, I hope that they will at least be represented by someone that will speak on their behalf.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll be honest with you...Mod count has always been poor at HRH as Outlaw or IMCA. The only classes that had a decent car count every week at HRH ever were the Pures, Hobby's, Limiteds and mini sprints. The 4 cyl cars were good the first couple of years then they too went down in car count

I seem to remember Mods being in the 5-8 range, but I may be high. They weren't the only track with that showing though, then or now.

Well there are 6 modifieds that are on here wanting it to be imca, that's not including the people that don't get on here. I know of two more cars that are wanting to switch back to imca. So I would be willing to bet ther would be a good car count. I would love to see the istocks have a few places to race again, I know it is more tricky with stock cars but I would trade one of my modifieds to get in one and have some fun

I can probably come up with 150 racers all around that want this track to open sanctioned or unsanctioned, but the reality is that most will only race at HRH on an off weekend or just a few times a year. I race different tracks every year and don't commit myself to any track since I come from out of town....I want bellmead to re-open but I won't race there every week.

I think Del should have people say we WILL be there full time if you sanction the track. IMCA certainly has it's advantages but it also comes with a price tag. For a track that has already depleted all of it's monatary resources, I think that the expense of the sanction will be a bit too much to start with it's first year.....JMO

we are looking at several options, however, the economy is not in the best of shape, this will also be in concideration of our final decision on what classes and rules. we are also looking at the possibility of going green, meaning that the future of racing lies in the hands of our government, for tracks to survive and have any possible tax relief or funding, they are going to be forced to go green, which means that all the racers would have to run pump gas ( not racing fuel ) with ethenol to qualify. the gas would have to be tested in tech and must meet U.S. regulations or be disqualified from race competition.

in doing this, the government has funds readily available to tracks that conform to these standards, this will make competition in every class more even and less big dollar engines, buying the races. i know that a lot of you are tired of high dollar racing teams being able to buy their way to a championship and leaving you guy's on a budget, behind them on the track. to me, this is not what racing is all about ( to see who can buy the most races ), it's misleading to our children that is our future racers and not showing them the real world.

some things we are looking at instead of going imca, ump, usac, or such, is using the rules from other local tracks with some options added ( for economical reasons ) and going asa or nascar sanction for insurance and promotions, they have more to offer than any other sanction for promotions of the track and each racer/team, if you want sponsorship, you have a better chance of getting it, being a nascar racer.

our government is cracking down on motorsports and emissions ( epa ), that is way they pulled off the clunker cars deal, they are doing everything they can to make it look like our enviroment is better, this includes racing, if we want to still be able to have fun racing these old cars, we have to make changes NOW to keep our sport alive, it's not just hot rod hill that will have to make these changes, it's every track in our country and abroad. we will do what ever it takes to keep hot rod hill a place where we can still go out on the weekend and have a playground.

i would love to meet each and everyones desire to have whatever sanction or class and rules that you would like at a track that you can call home, but that would be impossible, my wish is to have a track that would like some of the old tracks that we all grew up around, that had good hard racing at it's best, i would love to have a class of old vintage modifieds like my dad drove and bring back the time when we just couldn't wait for the weekend to get here. i want to build an atmosphere of fun and recreation for families like it use to be, i miss those good o'le days and want them back for our kids and grandkids for the future.

i hope that each of you have this same feeling about racing as i do and are willing to make the difference, there is not much of a change in your cars that you are running now, there will be options for the gm crate "602" in the hobbystock and lmod classes, it will be opt. 1 engine, opt. 2 engine will be what you are running now, gator, 105, and heart o texas is running about the same rules in these classes, i am going to fine tune them to meet our track so that no-one has to make big changes.

the classes to start the 2010 season are looking like; sprints, open mods., lmods, hobbystock, purestock, mini-sprint. optional classes; inj'ed sprints, streetstock, mini-stock/eco-stock, dwarf cars, trucks, derby cars, and vintage mods. we are looking to run 5 regular classes per night with one option class. i will be working on a schedule that will not conflict with other local tracks for a 3 on / 1 off schedule for most classes, if we do not sanction, we do not have to make a certain amount of races in any class per year, if we do sanction, it may be with a sanction that does not require a number of races to qualify.

this is a small scope of what we at hot rod hill is looking for in the 2010 season, we are going to have this meeting soon, we are waiting for a authorization to comply before we announce a date for the meeting, i will keep everyone informed, i you have any more questions, feel free to email me at [ www.pro2000racing@yahoo.com ] i will be glad to answer your needs, thanks, del harris ;)

looks like yall are not going to run imca... imca has a rule book already, so there is no need to have to make one up. when yall ran imca sanction you had more mods and sport mods than you ever had. i remember when henry witt, gw and trevor egbert and alot of others were coming when it was imca. you had a very good field of cars when it was imca, then you decided to go outlaw and you had 4-5 cars, and it was a joke. :rolleyes: count me out for outlaw. i want a real rule book to run by!!! and for your vintage mods., dont waste your time. the old days are gone and if you want to see them look at pictures. you will be taking away from a good class you could be running. you can use a vintage mod for a pace car.....

Del seems to be seeking sincere input BEFORE the track makes their decision on what classes to run... I think most would agree that this is a good thing.

We all know that Del is going to catch crap no matter what the track decides. If someone doesn't want to run under the rules they come up with, that's fine - it's America and you can run when and where you like. But let's try to keep the negative stuff down to a dull roar whichever way the rules finally end up and give the track a break as they try to get it up and running.

Thanks.

Nick

Nick its not being negative.... we have already been there done that at HRH. i was just stating the facts. i hope everything goes good with them, i don't wish anything bad. i have been friends with wayne for a long time and would help him any way i can. also i read on whowon.com that the houston tracks are going to vote on going imca sanction for the sport mod class, because you can't run a outlaw class and keep the rules right.

From what I read in his post it sounds like they are wanting to go anyway but imca. That is perfectly fine and I'm sure cars will come race. However several people are on here giving ideas and seems as if it may be a decision that has already been informally made. I think if it is not an option it would be nice to know before the meeting to save some of us a pointless trip. I hope it is a big success either way!

a decision will not be made on modifieds untill we have a meeting, there are a few technical reason why we do not have a meeting date as of yet, we do not want to jump the gun and have locals brething down our necks. we are waiting until we are sure that the appeals have cleared, they were suppose to be final on the 25th of sept., we just want our legal team to make sure before we jump into things.

you guy's be patient with us and we will announce a meeting date, not everyone agrees with all the rules at any track, we are going to do our best to please the majority our racers at the meeting. i know there is no guarentee on car count in any class, but we will structure our track around the most input and interest of any class. this means that if most racers want to go IMCA, then we will make a move to sanction, if that happens and we don't get the car count to keep the bill's paid, then we will look at other options. i don't know how many of you have ever owned a track or promoted one, it's no easy task, we went outlaw mods before, because the car count in IMCA was not paying the bill's. if you guy's will committ and have enough racers there, you are not going to find a better surface and prepaired track anywhere close. i do not want to get into the " whats the purse and only 5 cars show up as before. we will have good purses if we have good car count. i also am working on sponsors for each class to help will purse in these hard times for racers, if you want us to step up to the plate, then each class needs to do it's part.

kenny, we have not made any final decisions on anything, we feel it's only right to decide after we meet with everyone, we also want another track to work with for the 2010 season, this can only be good for all. you have my phone number, feel free to call me, i like to hear everyones input, thanks to all you guy's, it's been a long time from hrh, we all had fun their, i hope we can bring that back, thanks again, del

I also think you should go the IMCA route with at least the limited mods. If you race on Saturdays you are not going to get many Houston cars if they are happy with the local rules. You will get the mod guys who can not afford to build outlaw motors if you go IMCA in that class also. Is the lighting going to be improved from previous?

you should not have to buy anything, the crate engine would just be an option motor for those who want to run it or those that don't have $5000. to build a competitive motor. 602 crate would be a option motor that is $3300.+tax new or you can find them used for $1500./2000. race ready, the good thing is, there so easy to tech. it's just a option that might help someone that can't afford a big buck engine. we already know that no-one has over $3500. in a lmod motor, so this should be good for all. this does not mean that this is what we will do, it's just like everything else, " it's in discussion ". thanks, del :unsure:

well Del when is all this going to take place,some people ar under the impression the gates wont openand that Wayne is just speending his time with his racing and not on the track. I drive by there every day and dont see any changes,we racers have not heard any thing from Wayne about needing help with any thing.I am not trying to sound negative just wonting to know what is realy going on,HUGHES raceing brings 4 cars 2 streets 1 pure 1 minni

you should not have to buy anything, the crate engine would just be an option motor for those who want to run it or those that don't have $5000. to build a competitive motor. 602 crate would be a option motor that is $3300.+tax new or you can find them used for $1500./2000. race ready, the good thing is, there so easy to tech. it's just a option that might help someone that can't afford a big buck engine. we already know that no-one has over $3500. in a lmod motor, so this should be good for all. this does not mean that this is what we will do, it's just like everything else, " it's in discussion ". thanks, del :unsure:

Del were are you getting no one has over $3500 in a limited mod motor? you better go around and ask what it cost to build a good sport mod motor, try $5000-$6000..... The 602 motor is ok till you get on e-bay and buy new sealing head bolts and build you a stroker. LOL i was woundering the same about getting the track ready. seems to me you would be working on it to get it ready....

so how about it del,I hear a few people have snuck out to the track and said nothing has been done.the snack shack is falling apart,the bleechers rottedand the track hasent even been worked on.Dont get this wrong i want the track to open heck when wayne was going threw this mess i let him put one of those billboardes on my truck about Lampoo and the crap he did,I even mowed the place for wayne every saturday befor the races.I just wont to know the truth and am tired of the b s

Not taking up for anyone but the trcak has been worked on and I wouldn't mind taking some laps on it right now, I've been on it and have some pics of it. You can't see anything driving in front of the entrance....you have to actually go to the track to see that a little bit of work has been done. That being said, I believe that no one has stated that HRH will be opening up for business anytime soon. If it were February and the track was still in the shape it's in now then I too would start asking questions...But it wouldn't be on a public forum where at best you get 2nd hand knowledge. I would stop by and see what Wayne had on his mind as far as his plans for his track goes.

thank you wolfie, guy's, wayne has put way too much into getting this track back to where we could be racing again, he called just the other day and said he didn't want things to be in shambles when it reopens, he has people taking the old bleachers down to be replaced, he has broke the track and is reshaping it, and is repairing everything. this stuff takes time and money, wayne is still working a job beside trying to get things going. in my opinion, if anyone can get things done, it's wayne brown. he wants the best racing surface like it was before, those of you that ran hrh know that wayne does not shortcut, making his track the best.

i don't get motivated by rumores, i get motivated by action and wayne is in action, there are things that we are working on for you racers, it takes a lot of time, effort, and money to bring these things about. don't count anyone out untill you know.

kenny, that is exactly what i was refering to about a $3500. motor, there are none, limited modifieds are suppose to be ( limited ), thats why only money guy's can run them. the 602 crate is the cheapest option there is, and on the bolts, you are right, you can buy them on the internet, but when the track has a seal that goes under the head of the bolt with the name of the track on it, then thats hard to duplicate and if that seal has been broken, then the car is disqualified, no exceptions. also, there is only one builder picked by gm, that has the right to repair, rebuild, or inspect away from the track. penalty for an illegal motor, disqualification of all points, races, and money for the remainder of the year, who wants to sit out all season? not me!!! if everyone would look into options at the time our economy is not the best and think of other racers and not just thierself, then we can still have good old family racing.

i am working on sponsors thru the track for each class that we run to help out on purses, we want to do the best so that the racers are getting something back, most tracks only pay per car count and that usally is not much, we want to go above that and have sponsor involvement with the drivers, owners, and their families.

i like the input from you guy's, it won't be long before we have a meeting, please, just be patient, and no rules are in black and white untill we meet and decide, i have put a few options out there just for discussion, not permenant, thanks, del

• 2 weeks later...

Its great to hear that the hill will be open next year.I know I will be there. When is the meeting got the rules and classes to run. I have no objection to running alternate weeks as long as points dont combine. I cant always afford to race every weekend and dont want to be lose spots in points at one track just because I couldnt race at the other on our alternate week. I have a limited and our schedule has never given us a off week. Our class has better car count than the mods and draws the crowds along with the hobbystocks who also have a good car count. It is hard to race every week and do something with the family as well. Having alternate running weeks or being off gives people time to do with families or get their car back together if its gotten torn up. The econony is not as good and money is tight.

Also should look at rules from several tracks or tracks you think you will get cars from to establish your rules from and then stick with them,and not bend them. exspecially on the motor rule,there needs to be better teching done to catch the people that are cheating. Tire rule is another. the limiteds have 2 tire compounds now. the new compound is softer than other making cars faster but now people are spending more money on motors now that tey have more bite. myself I would use the tires that we ran before it puts the racing more dependent on drivers ability.Anyways that is just some food for thought. Please let me know when this meeting is,post it on the forum.

Archived