Question for mechanics

thumper

Do any of you mini engine builders have experience with the multi layer steel head gaskets? Are they stronger than the old style?Cant seem to keep one sealed with the 15 to 1 CR.No reason to leak but at WOT,they let go.No signs of problems in the shop.No problems with the 10 to 1 motor but it will not keep up. Thanks.

Do any of you mini engine builders have experience with the multi layer steel head gaskets? Are they stronger than the old style?Cant seem to keep one sealed with the 15 to 1 CR.No reason to leak but at WOT,they let go.No signs of problems in the shop.No problems with the 10 to 1 motor but it will not keep up. Thanks.

i havent heard any good things aboult that typ of gasket ..we run felpro and have had no problems with them and we are darn near compression wise ... are you losing torque on your head bolts ...is it studed ....along time ago pops went with copper ..cuz he could not keep head gaskets if i remember right .but in order to use that typ .he had to o.ring the block and head ..but never lost another .and was able to reuse it ...dont know i hit on anything but thats all i can come up with ..maybe sergio and the merrels will know that answer ..

I am using diesel head bolts that do not strech.No room for O rings,not much else available.I just talked to an american engine rebuilder and he said all cars went to the multilayer steel gasket and they do not have as much gasket failier as the old asbestos gasket.The diesel used the asbestos gasket with 22 to one CR.The steel gasket came out on 96 for the VW.The asbestos gasket was discontiuned.

Right now I am getting my head welded at some of the water ports that eroded by water.This is not where the gasket failed.It will be blade cut again.Does Fel Pro make a racing head gasket for the VW? Or Victor Rentz?

I am using diesel head bolts that do not strech.No room for O rings,not much else available.I just talked to an american engine rebuilder and he said all cars went to the multilayer steel gasket and they do not have as much gasket failier as the old asbestos gasket.The diesel used the asbestos gasket with 22 to one CR.The steel gasket came out on 96 for the VW.The asbestos gasket was discontiuned.

Right now I am getting my head welded at some of the water ports that eroded by water.This is not where the gasket failed.It will be blade cut again.Does Fel Pro make a racing head gasket for the VW? Or Victor Rentz?

i suppose you have a 1.8 motor .... fel pro sales a head gasket .we run felpro over the counter gaskets ..buy at your local auto parts store ........ 1.8 gasket number .. 9090.pt........

I have seen several neons with head gasket problems (including my street neon) because one of the head bolts bottomed out in the block from the factory. after that fix I have never had any problems with a mls gasket. I know its not a vw but I thought I would throw that one out there.

I've had good luck with them at 13:1, just make sure the mating surfaces of the block and head are true and clean... I use studs on mine to avoid bottoming out bolts, and after bringing the engine up to operating temp the first time I let it cool to ambient temp and barely break loose, then re-torque the nuts one at a time in the proper torque sequence.

Do you keep having problems at the same point of the gasket?

I don't know if SCE makes a head gasket for your engine, But thier ICS Titan is designed to be used in high compression engines with out o-rings. ( word of caution if you haven't dealt with them.... it can sometimes take so long to get a gasket from those people it'll drive you up the wall!! )

Archived