Correct Procedure

UMSCHEIDRaceServices

At both tracks and/or any track in Texas for that matter what is the correct procedure for a drivers change (per the track rules)

Lets say I ran the heat race and broke, but was in a points battle what steps do I need to take to make sure I get points at the end of the night if I was to run a back up car or someone else’s cars for the main event?

Next scenario, what if I ran the heat race and decide to let someone else drive my car during the main event, who do I need to OK this with or tell about the driver change? Track owner(s)? Pit Steward? Head Scoring Person? Who is I charge of this?

Thanks in advance,

J.C

If you run any other car that you didn't run in the heat, or qualifying, you go to the rear. If you qualify, and someone else gets in the car, they start at the rear. If you qualify, and there was cars sent home, and you want someone else to drive, they can't, the next in line in qualifying does. That is how most short tracks around here work. We have had the issue with our car, blew a motor in the heat, ran home, got the other car, and started last. Hope this helps.

I am asking in reference to the races this past weekend at THR. A Grand Stock driver was Dqed becuase of an improper driver change. I was wondering why? And who are we supposed to let know if this was to happen again so that it is correct and the finishing order isnt effected after the fact.

J.C

The THR general rules don't address who should be notified of a driver change and only address driver/car changes in the event of a car breaking. I would assume that the pit steward (Ron) should be notified, but that's just my assumption. The rules don't specify it. Did I make your point for you J.C.? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

We were planning to address these questions at the drivers’ meetings this weekend, but we thought we would go ahead and address them here on LSS at this time also.

Since 2000, our race procedures have allowed only one driver per car per night. In that way, we try to ensure that only one driver gets the appropriate points for that night.

So, if one person drives the car in the heat race and then turns it over to a teammate or someone else for the feature race (usually so both drivers can have some “fun” for the night), only the driver who signed in and raced the heat will get points for the night.

We do make an exception, however, if a driver’s car breaks down for the night. In that situation, it becomes a change of car, not a change of driver. If a person’s car breaks down, he/she can ask another driver to use their car – either in a lower class or in the same class. In that way, the driver can try to maintain their points for the season, even if he/she has car problems that night.

Here’s an example of an acceptable car “switch:”

#35 John Williams & #89 Jimmy Smith both drive in the same class. John’s car (#35) breaks, and John asks Jimmy if he can drive his car (#89). Jimmy agrees to it. The race results would show John in the #89 (35) car with his finishing position, and Jimmy would be shown in the #35 (89) car with a DNS (Did Not Start).

Ron Abbey, who is the THR Pit Steward, should be the person to notify about the change. If Ron can’t be found, please notify another official in the pits, e.g., Mary Ann Naumann, David Mackey or Jack Sandefur. Since I’m usually in tower handling the scoring, it’s important that you make sure they communicate the change to me on the radio, especially since driver changes can affect lineups and points.

I hope this explanation helps everyone better understand our driver change procedures at THR.

Archived