Drivers From Big H

LINDAlou1001

What ever happened to the fan favorites,Howard Willis, Jim Chapman, Red Shanks, Gary Balock, Robbie Starnes, Bruce Vaughn, Bubba Walker, Crazy Copper, are these guys still racing some where or they even alive? Does any body have any pictures that they can post from period of time at BIG H this was when it was red dirt and Brad Pounds owned the track. The late 80s and early 90s was some of the best dirt racing I have ever seen.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ran into Brad Pounds at the post office a while back, he's still kicking, he got into buying salvage motorcycles, fixing them and re selling, blalock sold his place in pearland and has a shop in alvin, ole red shanks has a shop between pearland and alvin, they are mainly doing demo derby cars now, going to the high dollar shows

Howard is still racing and winning (mostly modifieds),

The last few weeks his strategy has been to win the feature in Baytown and then to go over to Battleground, start on the back of that feature, and win. Last year he raced at Edna some, not sure how often. He has been hitting all the local USMTS races, and a few SUPR latemodel races, although that may be ending after a nasty wreck in Louisiana.

Scotty, if you're looking for Big H pix, you might contact Gill or Judy Dudek who are doing the videos at HRP rght now. I helped him out a lot back in those days, he may still have old pix and/or videos laying around.

AHHHHHH....the Late Model days of Big H......Howard was still whipping everyone almost weekly....Robbie Starnes, Tim Sitton, Joe Sturdivant, Lawrence Mikulencak, Gary Rollo....and yes a very young David Starr.

COOL, I miss them days alot it was a show from the first heat race to the last feature Big H had it going on from stock cars with wings to late models that look like flying wings to the Texas super sprinters that kept everybody on there feet everybody felt like they got there moneys worth.

• 2 weeks later...
What ever happened to the fan favorites,Howard Willis, Jim Chapman, Red Shanks, Gary Balock, Robbie Starnes, Bruce Vaughn, Bubba Walker, Crazy Copper, are these guys still racing some where or they even alive? Does any body have any pictures that they can post from period of time at BIG H this was when it was red dirt and Brad Pounds owned the track. The late 80s and early 90s was some of the best dirt racing I have ever seen.

I was with the tssa in the late 80's. Deny Burton still has a shop on the West side of Houston for mainly drag cars. The Lewis's still race. Kent Jr is doing a great job with the ASCS this year. Saw Cooper earlier this year but I think he has turned the raines over to his kid kinda like the Kulhanaks. Would thing about coming back finally have some time if these tracks around here could stabilize sprint rules. 305's, 360's, ASCS rules makes it hard to come up with a good combo.

If anyone knows the where-a-bouts of champkrt's mind.......PLEASE pm him with it's location. :P:lol:

Eddie, I was around Houston tracks from 84 when I moved down to Texas....both Big H and Battleground and I don't recall either track having a clown at all. Of course back in those in those days I was still drinking(heavily) and self-medicating. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

champkart1 you are correct...David Kulhanak used to dress up as a clown....if my memory serves me correctly he only did that once at Big H...he was a regular attaction at the thrill show in the Astrodome...he also drove the #56 Texas Super Sprinter... sometimes called ole silver tooth..........he would run around the floor of the dome doing doughtnuts in the dirt ,in a go-kart, between acts...........Denny Burton hasn't built any drag cars in 10 years...he keeps up asphalt late models for T Wade Welch and still races occasionally...but he's "old" and slow........Gingerbreadman aka Denny Burton

Archived