San Antonio Speedway Lease Option

becka29

Where's Terry (TD)? Get him and Rick teamed up again along with Debbie and the old SAS staff and make SAS happen

again. Maybe with a good enough fight the City will re-zone and SAS can be back in business. I know this is wishful thinking

but I would put a car back on that track in a heart beat!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at Toyota not all that long ago and in there meeting room there is a show car or two from the NASCAR series they are supporting... Was surprised to see them, but at least that's a good sign.

Nick

There is a TRD facility not far from Irwindale. I had said to a buddy of mine several months before I read about the Irwindale deal that Toyota should be approached about SAS. Not as a test track because that would be a joke. No offense to SAS. But, I knew Toyota had a test track and 1/2 banked track isn't what they need.

I have made several phone calls. Do we know actual lease/sale pricing? Do we know for sure how much land? Also, does anyone have a contact for the City to find out for sure what needs to be done for all the Code issues?

Just got some email info on the S/A track location from Ty Bragg.

Asking price for the track and 60 acres is only $2.50 per sq ft.

Lets see 1 ac=43560 sq ft X $2.50= $108,900 per ac X 60= $6,534,000

At $1.00 ea we need 6,534,000 people (one share)

At $10.00 ea we need 653,400 people (ten shares)

At $100 ea we need 65,340 people (one hundred shares)

At $1000 ea we need 6,534 people (one thousand shares)

At $10,000 ea we need 653.4 people (ten thousand shares)

I'm good for 1,000 shares!!! Only 6,533,000 shares to go!!!!

We own a small carlot on the NW side and while we don't have overflowing bank accounts we would lend a hand however possible and bring as many people as we could to help out with cleanup and whatever...how about parking a few Toyotas in front of the track with a banner across the front of them that says "San Antonio Racers Support Toyota, Does Toyota Want to Support San Antonio Racers?" Just a though, positive media attention couldn't make things any worse and at this point Toyota is one of the only manufacturers making any kind of headway in the market. While "American" manufacturers are dredged down in their issues Toyota is employing American workers in OUR state and from OUR neighborhoods and supporting us. Also...a full field of "Camry" late models running around a down-home local track due to the generosity of Toyota...sounds like positive national news to me? It would be very easy to take someones latemodel, stab a "Camry" sticker on the front of it, park it in front of the track and invite some media? There is no mistaking here, we need them not the other way around, all you have to do is pull one purse (or heart) string far enough up the line and this could work. We know a local banner guy that loves fun pro-bono work...a group of cars running around town with "Toyota supports San Antonio Tradition" on their back windows? Anyone game?

They are also open to a long term lease. They want to do something with this land. They have 240+ acres they are trying to sale or lease. They are talking with the City of Poteet about selling the grandstands. They need to generate some money.They are open to proposals. If anyone is SERIOUS about this then please submit a proposal. I've talked with Mr Bragg a few times and he has been very helpful. They have hired a company that tested the soil and nothing has to be removed. Thats good. I told him that we would really like to work something out later in the year to have a race or two and that we had lots of people to volunteer. He stated that something could be worked out for special events. Those of you that have a better understanding of these type things than me, please put pencil to paper and see what comes up. If you dont want to talk to Mr Bragg please feel free to contact me and I will talk with him. I am with the understanding that they need to generate some cash as soon as possible. Times are hard so I'm sure they are just like the rest of us when it comes to $. Wish I had more info for you guys. If you need more info please let me know and I will find out.

Thanks

PAPA

We own a small carlot on the NW side and while we don't have overflowing bank accounts we would lend a hand however possible and bring as many people as we could to help out with cleanup and whatever...how about parking a few Toyotas in front of the track with a banner across the front of them that says "San Antonio Racers Support Toyota, Does Toyota Want to Support San Antonio Racers?" Just a though, positive media attention couldn't make things any worse and at this point Toyota is one of the only manufacturers making any kind of headway in the market. While "American" manufacturers are dredged down in their issues Toyota is employing American workers in OUR state and from OUR neighborhoods and supporting us. Also...a full field of "Camry" late models running around a down-home local track due to the generosity of Toyota...sounds like positive national news to me? It would be very easy to take someones latemodel, stab a "Camry" sticker on the front of it, park it in front of the track and invite some media? There is no mistaking here, we need them not the other way around, all you have to do is pull one purse (or heart) string far enough up the line and this could work. We know a local banner guy that loves fun pro-bono work...a group of cars running around town with "Toyota supports San Antonio Tradition" on their back windows? Anyone game?

We looked at running a Toyota body on our Pro Truck for that very reason and could not find a body manufactor that makes one for that truck.

We approached toyota before and got a very cold shoulder. Pretty much told us we are all dumb redneck americans that dont understand marketing, and that they dont sponsor racing for racing, they sponsor racing to sell cars with the main purpose being to buyout everyone else so they have the most cars. they said "Impression was greater than fact" that was a qoute I wont forget. I wouldnt bother trying to get any turd support. Besides I got a buddy who bought a turd and its a blast refering to him as a turd driver. :lol:

We approached toyota before and got a very cold shoulder. Pretty much told us we are all dumb redneck americans that dont understand marketing, and that they dont sponsor racing for racing, they sponsor racing to sell cars with the main purpose being to buyout everyone else so they have the most cars. they said "Impression was greater than fact" that was a qoute I wont forget. I wouldnt bother trying to get any turd support. Besides I got a buddy who bought a turd and its a blast refering to him as a turd driver. :lol:

refering to a turd driver ..funny ...as for support towards toyota ..the are biteing the hand that feeds them ..just keep up those thoughts and beliefs and follow chevy and dodge down the same road ... that way of thinking .we want to sell cars but dont have time for racers for they dont understand marketing. just shows thier stupid side ..

thanks to "cash for clunks",the #1 seller from that deal is toyota.maybe the government shouldnt of took out that "must buy american only cars provision".but since they did,the top 4 out of 5 sellers on the "clunk " deal are toyota and honda cars with the only american being ford.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first time to post on the forum so I am sorry if I screw this up Nick. I just thought I'd drop a note or thought about the SAS facility. I too have very fond memories of the races held there while crewing for a TSRS late model and thought the place was fantastic and full of energy.

In this topic there has been ideas after ideas and yes a good place to start is to form some sort of committee, for lack of a better term, to figure out if all this can be done and mind you I can only imagine the amount of unpaid time and effort that would take.

The other resonding note in this thread is the topic of money. I always take the approach of stick to what you know works, with that said once this "committee" is formed look at what the other tracks have done in terms of sponsors. I have a good working relationship with the parent company of Fiesta. Fiesta is on its own when it comes to what they do and how they do it. I bring this up because Fiesta is very out front in charity and more recently HMP. Fiesta's market concentration is huge in SA. Just a thought.

One thing that people don't understand or know is why Toyota picked the location they picked. That is the #1 county in the nation for selling pick up trucks. Not a coincidence for sure. The bottom line is that they were offered tax breaks to bring their plant there as well it being a right to work state and no unions. It isn't a matter of San Antonio supporting Toyota or vice versa. It is a matter of total dollars. That plant as of January has lost over 7 billion dollars on the Tundra. They have reduced production to nil and if it hasn't already happened or in the works, there is talks of moving the Tacoma line to the SA plant. Toyota made a big gamble that their entry into the American truck market would be easier than it was. To their disappointment it wasn't. Currently they are losing money as fast as any manufacturer regardless of nationality. Feel free to talk to Toyota, but do your homework before you do.

:D Couldn't hurt San Antonio to have the Tacoma line moved down here. That's the first positive coming out of the plant as of late. I know some folks that were directly affected by the slow down. JMO Lenny66 B)

It costs more than a few yen to rip out one production line, install another and re-train employees. Lots of things to consider when making such an expensive decision. What happens if the price of fuel drops and full-size pickups become all the rage again? Or what if they had waited a few more months to give GM and Ford a chance to "give up" first and then dominate whatever is left of the market?

Overall, I think Toyota has been good for San Antonio. Just a shame what happened to SAS in the process.

There are two ways that SAS could be re-born:

1) If a not-for-profit organization were formed with a board of directors who shared a common vision and put aside their personal agendas were formed. That board would be faced with monumental challenges, not the least of which would be to raise sufficient capital to purchase the overpriced property and rebuild the entire infrastructure (except the racing surface). A full-time track manager would be needed to carry out the wishes of the board and

2) If a person with several million dollars to burn wanted to invest in a venture that could never possibly recoup the initial investment and hired a competent person (can anyone say Rick Day?) to oversee the project.

Finding volunteer labor and donated materials is possible for a day or two, but asking folks to spend significant time, money and expertise over a several year period is overly optimistic.

Nick

The Tundra plant was built with expansion in mind. It was built as a self serving facility with space for vendors on site, thus there isn't a need for off site warehousing. i.e. property that used to be Alamo Dragway. I believe but could be wrong that this is the first plant where Toyota had planned to do everything onsite. Also, I believe Toyota had considered bringing the Sienna Mini Van to S.A. plant prior to talking about Tacoma.

The Tundra plant was built with expansion in mind. It was built as a self serving facility with space for vendors on site, thus there isn't a need for off site warehousing. i.e. property that used to be Alamo Dragway. I believe but could be wrong that this is the first plant where Toyota had planned to do everything onsite. Also, I believe Toyota had considered bringing the Sienna Mini Van to S.A. plant prior to talking about Tacoma.

I thought it was the Seqouia(sp) they had in mind. I also thought it had the same frame and sub frame as the Tundra.

• 2 weeks later...

Growing up my buddies parents owned property on Bulverde Road here in S.A. it was an up and coming area between Briarwick and Green Springs Valley. They just knew they could get great monies for it if they just held out. At one point they were offered 1.2 million and turned it down wanting 3.2 million and again they just knew they would get it. Finally the day came where they realize they werent going to get 3 million and had to settle for what was then the high offer of $380,000 (Three Hundred and Eighty Thousand) His dad told Us later that he had gotten greedy and wished he had of taken the 1.2 million.

There are a lot of good memories at SAS.

Wishing the family the best in selling it....

Archived