Cuddihay Speedway

hotstock74

Half Mile Dirt Track and I believe it's "Cuddihy", I may be wrong.

CuddihyTXTerry1975.jpg

The Ice Man highschooler on a Friday night.......

CuddihyTXTerryCar1975.jpg

This car won many many races in the neck of the woods.

Edited by mfbarnes

My history on Cuddihy is as follows:

The 3/8ths mile dirt oval was open from June, 1969 to 1975. It was situated North/South.

A dragstrip was immediately west of the oval, running the same North/South, and it was one of the taxiways from the days of Cuddihy Naval Field.

There was also a 2.2 mile road course that encompassed the runways and taxiways, but it only ran about the first year or so, 1969.

There is still evidence of the oval, which was southwest of the intersection of Old Brownsville Road (665) and FM 763. If you turn south on 763, you can see a very small lake on the right next to a mound of dirt. That lake is over the southern turns of the track.

If you pull up a satellite image of Cuddihy field, you can see the taxiway that served as the drag strip, and also the outline of the oval. It is all within a stone's throw of STS Speedway.

Where you been Mark?

Dubai, currently. Was in Mosul Iraq with very limited Internet access, working, fell into a contract over here, that was two good to turn down. But I now have all the modern bells and whistles here in Dubai. It's 5 AM and I am getting ready to push off TGIF.

• 1 month later...

Yes Sir that is the one and only Texas Terry, in a car his dad built and maintained. That car won a lot of trophies.

Hello from Mosul, Iraq all. Can't wait to be back in the Lone Star State. It is hot as Hades today 103° in the shade, and there ain't no shade. Somebody took all the trees.

TERRY ALONG WITH OTHER DRIVERS WOULD RACE CUDDIHY ON FRIDAY NIGHT .AND RACE AT CC ON SATERDAY NIGHT .. NEVER REALLY WENT TO THAT TRACK TO SEE A RACE ..TO FAR TO WALK FROM MY HOUSE ... BUT DID GET RIDES OUT TO A COUPLE OF DRAG RACES .. SAW ..HELL ON WHEELS .PATTY WAGON RACE THERE ..

Edited by oldtimer

• 1 year later...
Yes Sir that is the one and only Texas Terry, in a car his dad built and maintained. That car won a lot of trophies.

Hello from Mosul, Iraq all. Can't wait to be back in the Lone Star State. It is hot as Hades today 103° in the shade, and there ain't no shade. Somebody took all the trees.

you be safe over there.

• 6 years later...

Cuddihy Raceway was a 3/8ths mile, high banked, "D" shaped oval. I have a fantastic "panoramic" picture of the entire racetrack but give me a few days to get it posted here. We've had a waterline burst under the slab and jackhammers and everything else going on.....it'll take a bit to get things back to a dust free environment :-)

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Hey HiTech my dad took me and two of my brothers to the dragrace you mentioned that had the army sponsored wheel stander tank "Hell on Wheels". They built it up for a week are longer prior to the race on radio making it sound like the tank was coming to Corpus to whoop up on the local driven Paddy Wagon, well there sure as heck was a a** whooping handed out as the Paddy Wagon won all three of their match races. In the early 70's this area had some of the best wheel standers in the country Paddy Wagon, Rare Bear, Fugititve, Daffy Duck I think I'm forgetting a couple. Besides those two wheel standers racing that day there were jet cars, dragsters and I think some funny cars also I can only remember a couple of them by name the USA-1 & Maxi Taxi were here and  pretty sure the Traveling Texan and Green Mamba both raced that day, dad took pictures we had put on slides I will try and hunt them up. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2023 at 6:58 AM, dragracerkma said:

Hey HiTech my dad took me and two of my brothers to the dragrace you mentioned that had the army sponsored wheel stander tank "Hell on Wheels". They built it up for a week are longer prior to the race on radio making it sound like the tank was coming to Corpus to whoop up on the local driven Paddy Wagon, well there sure as heck was a a** whooping handed out as the Paddy Wagon won all three of their match races. In the early 70's this area had some of the best wheel standers in the country Paddy Wagon, Rare Bear, Fugititve, Daffy Duck I think I'm forgetting a couple. Besides those two wheel standers racing that day there were jet cars, dragsters and I think some funny cars also I can only remember a couple of them by name the USA-1 & Maxi Taxi were here and  pretty sure the Traveling Texan and Green Mamba both raced that day, dad took pictures we had put on slides I will try and hunt them up. 

if u see a blured pic it was most likely me ruining  the shot .. yeps  got to see all those  wheel standers run .. i like that  tank on wheels ..

On 4/23/2009 at 10:39 AM, mfbarnes said:

Half Mile Dirt Track and I believe it's "Cuddihy", I may be wrong.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l222/mfbarnes62/Racing/CuddihyTXTerry1975.jpg

The Ice Man highschooler on a Friday night.......

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l222/mfbarnes62/Racing/CuddihyTXTerryCar1975.jpg

This car won many many races in the neck of the woods.

Unfortunately, when folks post a link to the photos they are posting (rather than the actual photo file), if the link goes away for whatever reason, the pic will no longer be displayed in the post.