Memories of San Antonio Speedway

NickHolt

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Nick can tell us about what became of Robin McCall & Eddie B. that race there when the track was called Hwy-16 Raceway in 1980-1981 era.    I raced with them both a few  times around that time.    Boy oh Boy, they could get it done at that track for sure.  

that track is where  those two very good drivers & also Greg Davidson showed me how to "Diamond Arc the Turns There"  to help keep up the RPM's a little better.    the turns seemed to be very much steeper right in the center in the very early years to me.  in the early years that is how it was done there.  now in later years I think after the track surface settled in after several years of racing,  I believe the trend was maybe rim-riding style for the fastest way around.....

I can remember after a few seasons on from being new in 1977,   the racing surface kind of became kind of ripplely some what right in groove in those turns.   that was a little of pain to deal with.

had very good times at that race track for sure....all of the racers in that area were the best.....also the S.A area race fans sure did love their racing at Hwy-16 oval track,  but also the Drag strip that was right behind the front stretch grand stands as well.....

"we don't know what we got, Till its gone...put up & pave a parking lot....."

thanks SA Speedway for the good times in my life a very long time ago !!!!!!!!

Edited by metroracer

WE ran the arc in 06 tps race only cuz the car was tight in the heat race and no more practice .I ask the driver if he would throw something of his hint hint  out the window and try that diamond arc .boy he put a trust in me hoping I fixed that car other wise junk going home ..he pulled the dust off the walls up there and won the race ..you were right it helped with the rpms and that let him get a good run off the turn ...the next race everyone else moved up ....the other thing he told me going into those turns did not help his brakes all .they did not slow the car down with having to drive into the turns further ...scared him ..

Edited by HiTech

47 minutes ago, HiTech said:

...scared him ..

Rick Rapp used to say that if you didn't scare yourself at least once a lap, you weren't going fast enough... 

And yes, the fast way around SAS was to diamond turn 3-4 and do whatever it took to get through 1-2. A lot of wrecks coming off two with so many different lines being used to navigate and exit that turn.

well that s good to know rick was human .I only ran that one race in tps and I never got comfortable I scared myself every lap  in three and four  going in through or exit ..turn one I loved it turn two you better hit the exit right or spin or hit the wall that appeared  to come at you  but fun track ..had a fast car handle wise just rookie driver and a fuel issue .still finished third so wasn't all that bad I guess ...;;;

I know there or many drivers who have much larger scares than me . john Kelly  comes to mind didn't he land out in the parking lot .

Edited by HiTech

I know Greg Davidson sailed off turn 3 and bounced off a car or two. I have a picture somewhere of Eddie Bierswalle (know spelling cant be right) Late Model resting upside down on top of a MG.Was there when Joe Aramendia took flight between 1 and 2. Called in life flight helicopter which was the coolest thing. Aramendia was ok copter left without him. Man I miss that place!

Sitting in the spotters area eating a candy bar and having Steve G. yelling on the radio. Last race leading points had to finish....had a flat, didn't have time to put all the lug nuts on, so I said just put 2 on and lets go.  He yelled for the last 3 laps..."YOUR TRYING KILL ME".  

PS

Does anyone remember the "MOON" controversy from the grandstands one Friday night?  Mark might...haha

indeed, he was the first closely followed by the Palestine flash Pinky Pinkston if I remember correctly. Seems like after that is was a who's who of took that scary ride.

I'm getting older by the day and my memory is fading so if I can wrong hopefully someone will set me straight!

• 1 year later...

Hello all. My name is Gary. I was the Deputy who worked pit security starting with Joe Horn and for many years after. Thanks to all of you I also have fond memories of the track and devolved friendships over the years. Some of you sure made my Sat nights challenging !! Anyone have any idea what Frank Torres and Jim Phillips are up to ?

• 1 year later...
On 12/15/2017 at 10:23 AM, NowOnDirt said:

Sitting in the spotters area eating a candy bar and having Steve G. yelling on the radio. Last race leading points had to finish....had a flat, didn't have time to put all the lug nuts on, so I said just put 2 on and lets go.  He yelled for the last 3 laps..."YOUR TRYING KILL ME".  

PS

Does anyone remember the "MOON" controversy from the grandstands one Friday night?  Mark might...haha

Ok I have to know this Moon story! 

On 2/18/2021 at 3:10 PM, MDillner51 said:

Ok I have to know this Moon story! 

Is this the Matt Dillner?  You know San Antonio Speedway would be the perfect track for Lost Speedways. If you are adding it to Lost Speedways you need to talk to Nick Holt and Tom Taylor those two could tell you everything you need to know about that track.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I’m reaching out to all San Antonio Speedway race fans,X- track administration and drivers for anyone that can remember the motorcycle races that were held at San Antonio speedway back in 1979. I ran in the first motorcycle race held there and came in second place. It was more of a promotional thing where they were testing the waters for motorcycle racing at the track. Shortly after that I had to relocate up into the northeast part of the United States for job related reasons. I never did get to follow up on the progress of the motorcycle racing but the one thing that stays with me was going through the turns sideways at about 80+ and hitting the straights at about 140. Yes it’s been so many years ago and almost seems like a dream but It’s part of my past just like San Antonio speedway is to so many.

• 3 weeks later...

The moon story wouldn't be an exchange between I believe Chris Davidson and Mark Chrudimsky would it? Think the Davidson clan found out that night that Mark will pretty much do anything that was a good time. 

I remember another moon story from SAS too. Full moon racing was always weird and sometimes dangerous at SAS. One night in particular, there was an effort to bring in a crane, hoist a piece of wood or something to block the full moon from view. Believe it was the Howell group since they owned a crane service if memory serves correctly. 

On 9/7/2019 at 5:02 PM, Gdelv said:

Hello all. My name is Gary. I was the Deputy who worked pit security starting with Joe Horn and for many years after. Thanks to all of you I also have fond memories of the track and devolved friendships over the years. Some of you sure made my Sat nights challenging !! Anyone have any idea what Frank Torres and Jim Phillips are up to ?

Jim Phillips is still kicking and sends me a note on Messenger every now and then.  As mentioned, Frank passed on several years ago, but his kids are still very active in the dirt track scene.