Bud Shootout

RodneyRodriguez

not only was it great to get back to business but what a great job by "the old guard" ??

sure was cool to seeDJ get back ontrack. Texas Terry did a great job tonight !!

Mark Martin was there at end to, Ricky Rudd was fast in practice, sure would like to see one of these veterens win the 500.

Great to see Dale and the veterans run like they did.

On the subject of Daytona, as of today, they have a whopping 46 cars listed for a 43 car field. Talk about your anticlimatic 125 qualifiers, only 1 car in one of them, and 2 cars in the other, will not make the race.

We oughta start a little poll on which will be the first race this year with a short field. I'd bet no later than the 2nd race of the season.

Don't bet the farm. NASCAR generally has contract obligations to supply a full field of cars. You may see a few marginal teams get a shot at a race or two here and there, probably with a little $$$ incentive from NASCAR, but you aren't likely to see fewer than 43 cars on the line on Sunday.

TQ-

I agree about NASCAR maybe making some dollar deals with some teams; they are doing it right now to get the numbers up for Daytona. But I still think they will face a big problem keeping the car counts up this season.

Could be my "down on NASCAR" attitude coming through, also.

ATLANTA!!!!THEY ARE DOING IT RIGHT NOW IT'S EVIDENT...BUT BY ATLANTA IT MAY BE SHAMELESS...MORGAN SHEPPERD,LAKE SPEED,BENNY PARSONS WHEN IT'S NBS COVERAGE AND D.W. WHEN IT'S CBS...HELL NED JARRETT ISN'T TOO BUSY RIGHT NOW....'A.J.- GO WAKE UP CAL & BOBBY ,BRING DONNIE IF YOU CAN!!!!!!!IT'S GONNA HAPPEN....

Short car counts......unsponsored cars.........drivers without full time rides, Hmmmmmmmmmmm maybe some people had some insight of the impending doom....er payoff....er "whatever" system. Sounds to me like first of several steps downhill. Hopefully I'm wrong, but......... I'm concidering buying stock in Kleenex for the end of the season, anyone in with me?

I don't want my original post to start an argument, or sound like the sky is falling in on nascar, but there are too many red flags there--

Only 38 fully funded teams in Cup, and only 45 total at Daytona.

Let's see, just off the top of my head, here is a partial list of full-time 2003 teams without a deal for 2004-

#99 Burton. Plans for 14 races only unless a sponsor is found.

#14 Foyt. Plans for first 3 races only.

#7 Spencer. So far, only Daytona. Shop crew laid off this week.

#74 Raines. Suspended operations until sponsor is found.

#23 Blaney. Daytona only so far.

Let's not forget that no one has stepped forward to sponsor Elliots' part-time deal.

TQ mentioned Nascar obligations to have 43 cars Sunday. It is well known that Nascar will sometimes help a team out to fill a field, but will they do it all season long to insure a 43 car field? I think not. Asking 15 million dollar sponsorships is killing this sport, and it is gonna catch up sometime.

Not to mention the licensing of everything out there, and restrictions. Got a phone company and want to sponsor a car? Forget it, Nextel says no. AOL and Cingular are grandfathered as long as they stay with their current teams.

Let's not forget sponsor concerns about exposure in races 27 to 36.

T.V. cameras and media focus will be on that top ten deal, and everyone else is just field filler so it doesn't look like a 500 lap IROC race out there.

Like to build a model kit of your favorite driver? You will pay more for it, because everybody from the car manufacturer to the driver to even Goodyear want a piece of it. The newest kits from Revell have no Goodyear tire logos because of the amount of money Goodyear wanted. Even the box art had the logos air brushed out. Explain this to your 10 year old, then ask him to continue to be a fan of the sport.

A lot has been mentioned in the past about Nascar Saturday night races affecting attendance at short tracks. Let's see, Nascar has about 100 tracks in their series program. That leaves 800-900 tracks out there with no nascar affiliation. Wonder if Nascar would be doing all the Saturday night deals if 800-900 tracks were in their weekly series program? I doubt it.

All this is the reality of what this thing known as Nascar has become. You can't grow like this without bumps in the road, and Brian France is starting to drive over some of them. The question is whether he can fix it or not. Ya'll may or may not know this, but Brian France rarely attends a race. He is an "arm-chair' executive. How much can he learn about racer and team concerns when he isn't there? How much does he care?

Doesn't this forum board contain countless postings complaining about the lack of interaction with team and track owners? We may expect some of that at our level, but Nascar cup racing?

Some fans seem to have already responded. Was mentioned today that the 500, the biggest race of the season, is not close to a sell-out.HMMMMM.

Maybe some of us are down on France and nascar a little too quick, but I still say you better get ready for short fields of cars, and I stick to my original prediction that the first may be Rockingham. They don't have a full field of entries as of this writing.

just my nickle or so.........

Archived