Playland Park

wayne

4PROP, I believe you are right. I was also there. I had been at the park on the previous Thursday and spoke with Joe. We would see Sam occasionally and speak to him when we were out there. Both very nice guys. It looked like Joe got tangled up in the portable gate when Blackie's car hit it. Very sad.................................

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goodness, you are the only one I recall to mention that triangler barrier in the middle of the walkway. Actually it was Sam that was intangled in it with a serious head injury. Joe went flat to the ground and died instantly with eyes open. The Bowers boy had just stepped around me when I hesitated a moment at the seat cushion rental stand. I lost sight of him immediately after impact so he must have ended up in the parking lot fence or under Blackie's car. That's about as graphic as I care to be. It was certainly not a pleasant experience but unfortunately etched clearly in memory. (No delete key for that! Right 57?)

Small world; Luis Slusky's son was 2 years old at the time his uncle Sam died. I met him about a year ago when he became my cardiologists. I can tell you for certain, this event was very hard on the Slusky family. I'll mention no name because I am positive they prefer to remain private and not revisit the incident.

• 1 month later...
Close, Billy Griswold in the lead. That's where he stayed most of the time. That 302 Jimmy would fly. Thanks for your efforts with old pics.

jakdad yes it was fast, even without the addition of the Fisher Head. then it was really fast

Cates Modified

Well guys..

To add a little more mystery to the Cates # 1 Modified, I do believe Charlie Schild even drove this car briefly at Playland if I recall. :huh:

Not for certain but almost certain.

Midget you are right Charles Ray did drive for Bud&Sam Cates some at Playland but mostly at Meyer, Sam's daughter Carol is my sister-in-law

Just wondering if anyone might remember this car. As I mentioned before my dad had a track in willis in the 50's. I remember going with him to buy cars I think around channelview. HE BOUGHT 2 STOCK CARS (#95 AND #96) 39-40 FORDS AND A MODIFIED #96. iT HAD doodlebug WROTE ON IT. I remember he ask the guy where the motor to the modified was and he open the garage and there sat a really nice roadster. he told my dad lets go and cranked it up. it was a sure nuff flat head my uncle had a new tbird 57 and i rember watching those little tail lights disappear as we tried to keep up.He pulled the flathead and my dad picked them up that week. My Dad always complained because they took two cars to make one. a 32 roadster and a 34 3 window top.i think he still has it out back. Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

It certainly caught a lot of attention on the track!

The twin pipes blowing out a flame going into the turns and made a great exhibition for the spectators! :rolleyes:

Cecil Elliot was very nice to me when I had a chance to speak with him.

• 1 year later...

Playland Park memories

Here's a photo sent from Jim.

Billy Griswold in the 9 Modified which appears to be a 34 Plymouth 5 window in the photo below.

Playland Park 1950's

post-8338-1283301982.jpg

More..

Early 32 Fords were candidates for future modifieds.

Below an interesting article provided by Jim. Maybe he can give us additional information.

post-8338-1283342788.jpg

Do we know what year that was Griswold?

I remember Tony flipping an old 31 Ford on the backstretch around 1959. It was Red however.

• 1 month later...

I SURE DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING BUT I HAVE SOME NEW PIC'S OF MY UNCLE CECIL. HIS DAUGHTER GAVE THEM TO ME LAST WEEK. NOTICE THE FISHER HEAD. THATS THE MIDGET UNCLE CECIL WAS KILLED IN. I HAVE MORE BUT WILL WAIT AND SEE IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED. JIMMY

post-3-1288017452.jpg

post-3-1288017242.jpg

post-3-1288017254.jpg

post-3-1288017246.jpg

post-3-1288017260.jpg

Pics of the '32 Coupe #106 mentioned earlier in this thread can be seen in one of Txtom's pic collections. There are also later pics of the car after the coupe body was removed and replaced with a T-bucket.

Go to any of Txtom's posts. At the bottom, click on ............... racing pics ................. that will link you to his collections. Pics of the car are in the "Bush Family Collection."

The car would eventually be destroyed in a spectacular double end or end flip through the infield at Austin Speed-O-Rama. Johnny Doyle was injured in that crash, but would return later in the season.

Jimmy,

Great job with the photos!

You have posted them in the right album as well.

The midget you were referring to above is the same midget I got to sit in as Cecil was headed to Dallas that weekend. We ran across him in Buffalo Texas if I recall at a gas station as we were returning back from Dallas for the 1/4 midget races.

He was nice enough to let me sit in it..

Monday morning we read the news of Cecil's fate. He was one of my favorites.

More photos please

GEORGE NASH AND BILL CHILDER MAYBE THE ONLY TWO LEFT IN THAT PICTURE.

post-3-1288273599.jpg

post-3-1288273609.jpg

Willie Williams, Bill Childress, George Nash on the far right

post-3-1288273614.jpg

post-3-1288273620.jpg

Looks like Norman Pierce on the left..not sure on the right

post-3-1288273626.jpg

Billy Wade - Cecil Elliott

post-3-1288273637.jpg

Billy Griswold on the right

post-3-1288273654.jpg

Far Right Buddy Rackley

post-3-1288273664.jpg

Thanks Jimmy, Awesome pics!!!

Absolutely awesome Jakdad. The way I remember it, after Cecil Elliot's accident, Lloyd Ruby drove for Ebb Rose in some Midget Races, including the '58 Cecil Elliot Memorial 100 Lap Event, which Lloyd Ruby won.

Archived