Well boys and girls here it is,

rebelracewriter

link here

Call it what you like, it still stinks! Especially if one driver is good enough to go into the final ten races with a huge points lead, let's say 345. He then becomes only five points ahead in race #27. What a joke! Why don't they just pick whoever the current "Golden Boy" is, crown him champ in Daytona and forget even racing at all. I've got a slew of four-letter explitives, but I'll save Nick the headaches. LOL

If I understand it correctly,

The new points systems will benefit everyone within 400 points of the leader after race 26. The leader is the only driver that will be the big looser (in points that is).

Although I don't agree with the new system,(I like the idea of rewarding consistency for the whole season), it will make a bunch of "big-time" car owners happy as their teams will still be in the championship chase.

OK here goes, After race 26 in 2003 this was the points:

After: Chevy Monte Carlo 400

Rank Driver Behind

1. Sterling Marlin Leader

2. Mark Martin -9

3. Jimmie Johnson -72

4. Jeff Gordon -82

5. Tony Stewart -118

6. Rusty Wallace -146

7. Bill Elliott -184

8. Matt Kenseth -248

9. Ricky Rudd -248

10. Ryan Newman -271

Sorry, only shows top 10,but all these guys will be within 50 points of the leader and drop 5 more points down until 400 points out. Oh yeah, the guy that is 401 back won't be too happy either.

After race 26 I think a lot of drivers that are 400pts or more behind will be let go, in favor of getting a new driver & crew aquainted ?sp? and geared up for the next season.

I guess it will keep a lot of "big time" sponsors involved and spending money also.

If it ain't broke why fix it? :blink:

I think the racing will be pretty much the same, the best teams running for the championship.

I'm sure we'll all still watch!

Mel

I know I am in the minority but I like this new system

SFRebel,

You're so far in the minority that you're the ONLY PERSON I have seen who likes the new system... :P:lol::lol::lol: (that's a joke, SFR, don't take it personally)... :D

This is a horrible system. How can you not call 26-10 a Playoff, when it IS a PLAYOFF! Good lord..I can't wait to get on the air and rant and rave about THIS one!

I like the new system, It will be exciting not knowing that someone will have to finish 36th or better the last 4 races to clinch the championship, and you better believe that everybody is going to be busting their ass to run at the front of the pack. The only thing I would like to see is have the Bristol night race as the grand finale, because anything can happen.

Nice pick up Jason! Now I hate it even more. :angry:

Is there any way to keep this thread alive till the end of the season? That way when the "likers" have their favorite driver(s) get screwed by the new "WHATEVER system", we can point out how much they liked it in the beginning and say "I told ya so". LMAO

Chuckie, I guess you and I are the minority NASCAR purists now.

Racing is entertainment, sfrebel, and it's an entertainment business. Forgetting that is what keeps us getting into trouble. No, as I've said before, NASCAR doesn't offer the best racing. But they do have identifiable, promotable stars, just as does every other successful sport. Caring whether or not JG beats Smoke is what keeps people turned on, tuned in and buying tickets.

How excited are they going to get about Joe Smith and John Doe?

Not very.

Hey,

I wonder if San Antonio Speedway will adopt this new method of determining a champion....LOL

But seriously, the points in 2003 was the same at SAS as it was in Winston Cup. Will SAS have more points for winning races in 2004?

Last year the points went down to the last night with 3 or 4 drivers capable of taking home the prize. I hope it stays the same as last year.

Mel

Tell me, what happens if you get Harvick and Rudd 5 points apart going to Homestead and both qualifiy in the top 5, both run up front all day, caution with 20 to go, Rudd beats Harvick out of the pits, now running 1 & 2. Green drops and both pull out to a 2 second lead running nose to tail. Harvick tries to go low Rudd cuts him off. Harvick regroups, makes another run, Rudd comes down to block, Harvick punts him on last lap. Who wins the title? Will NASCAR penalize Harvick for rough driving Or turn there head and say it was a racing incident? You then have a tainted Champion no matter what NASCAR does. My question is did they create a way to control who they want to be champ from the top 10 in points?

Just using Harvick and Rudd as an example. Could be any drivers on any race track anywhere. Also what happens when team car takes out another driver in the top 10?

You then have a tainted Champion no matter what NASCAR does
Every champion after last year should have an * beside his name!

My question is did they create a way to control who they want to be champ from the top 10 in points?
My opinion, YES!

Here's the scenerio I'm looking for; The current "Golden Boy" ends race #26 with an insurmountable lead, with the 10th place driver, a relative nobody with no wins and mathematically eliminated under the past system.

In the final 10 races the top five beat each other to death suffering DNF's, while my nobody earns top fives. At seasons end Mr. Nobody walks away with the title, still having never earned a win.

Then let's see NASCAR backstroke out of that. :o And oh the crying from the masses! :P:lol::D:P:lol::D

Reb,

Let's just hope "Mr. Nobody" isn't some putz like Jimmy Spencer...no wait--he couldn't make the Top 10 after 26 races even if he cheated and beat up Kurt Busch with a whipping stick! :P

All this math stuff is making my brain hurt. Why couldn't they just make winning a race worth 25 points ? Now I'm going to have to get H&R Block to tell me who won the Nextel cup.

Archived