WHY HOOSIERS?

kelyd13

I WAS CURIOUS TO KNOW WHY YOU CAN ONLY USE HOOSIER TIRES AT SAN ANTONIO SPEEDWAY???? I FEEL THE DRIVER SHOULD BE ABLE TO MAKE HIS/HER OWN DECISION OF WHAT BRAND OF RACING TIRE SHOULD BE USED. I DON'T KNOW A WHOLE LOT ABOUT THE DIFFERENCE IN RACING TIRES BUT I DO KNOW THAT THERE ARE OTHER BRANDS SUCH AS GOODYEAR AND FIRESTONE. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE FILL ME IN AND GIVE ME A "CRASH" COURSE ON WHY HOOSIERS ARE USED? THANKS.

Tires at SAS make a big difference. With everyone running the same tire just puting on new tires make a huge difference in a LMS cars lap time Like pacecar said in another thread the less heat cycles on a tire the faster it is. Just think if you could choose between tire manufactures and tire compounds there would be a huge amount of finger pointing in reguard to someone having a unfair advantage because of the tires they have.I have seen some guys run dirt tires on their asphalt cars and get better performance out of the tires resulting in faster lap time,but had to put new tires on their cars every week because the dirt tire was completely worn out where the guys running the asphalt tires could run the left sides for two weeks.The trade of was saving dollars cost you speed and positions on the race track.My experance is mainly on a 1/2 mile track and may be different on 1/4 or 3/8 mile track.

Oh by the way the rules at SAS tells you what tire you have to run and where you have to purchsce them as well.This is a good thing because it takes the tire question out of the formula and the guys at Oval Components will help the out of towners with there tire purchaces.Its a good deal for everyone

To add to Jim's comments--

A few other factors

1. A common tire reduces racer's costs. The old timers on this board will remember the early days when, on any night, cars had Firestones, Goodyears, McCrearys, or Track Treads on their car, and some compounds were so soft, they'd go through 6-8 tires in one night. I wish I had a dollar for every tire I mounted up for Freddy Fryar alone.

2. A common tire reduces dealer's loss. A dealer has 100 Firestones on his trailer. Someone brings a new Goodyear compound that's a tenth faster. Try eating Firestone stew over the winter because you can't unload them.

3. Sometimes, but not always, a tire deal like Hoosier has includes some money in the points fund. Varies by track and series.

4. Mixing the different compounds of the tires would make the track just plain frightening for the racers, especially in faster classes like ROMCO. Ask a ROMCO racer about going out on a track with a lot of Hoosier rubber on it. ROMCO runs American Racer. It's like ice-skating out there. Especially if you have those old gumball tires from the 70's early 80's.

Hoosier is the most commonly available tire in short-track racing at this time.

Goodyear is severely lacking in options for our racing; would probably be a compound they use in Busch North or something like that. Firestone is about non-existant for our racing.

Once I read a article about chassis set up and the first thing the write said was "know your tires" and I thought I undestood what he was talking about, man was I ever wrong.I had won races in a couple of divisions and had been fairly sucessful at a couple of different tracks thinking I had it all together. I then decided to move up to a late model car and have had to start learning all over again rethinking and reengineering almost everything I thought I knew.I've spent a lot of my money and time making decisions based on what I thought I knew about tires.Not knowing the tires you run can costa racer a lot more than money and labor It can cost you confidence and the respect of the driver you race against . I am still learning so the best advice I can give you is "know your tires"

Archived