Driver Search / Where are they?

Midget 85

Randy,

My brother, Tracy Trotter, began racing at the end of '62 when a new, but as yet unnamed Stock Car class was introduced, driving a '55 Ford Junklane Sedan. He ran partial seasons in '63 & '64 driving the #14 & #35 Studebaker Bronco Stocks and raced the full '65 season in 3 different '56 Chevy Broncos. His best points finish was 4th ('65), best A Feature finish was 2nd, and best Heat finish was 1st. In '66 thru '68, he raced Stock Cars occasionally in South Texas. In '69 & '70, he raced partial seasons in NASCAR Late Model Sportsman events at Meyer Spdwy/Houston, with a best A Feature finish of 4th and at least 1 Heat win. After 13 yrs not racing, he ran a few Bomber races in '84 at Battleground Spdwy/Highlands, winning his only A Feature. In '85, he ran about 1/2 season in Super Stock Cars, beginning at Battleground Spdwy and finishing at San Antonio (Hwy 16) Spdwy/San Antonio, with best A Feature finish of 3rd and best Heat finish of 1st that year. When not competing, Tracy spent several race seasons as a race official/tech inspector at Meyer Spdwy and Battleground Spdwy.

Myself, Larry Trotter, began racing Bronco Stocks at Meyer Spdwy/Houston in '66, driving a purchased at least 1 full season raced '55 Chevy Bronco. Raced full season, finished 9th in season point standings, had a best A Feature finish of 4th, and best Heat finish of 1st. The car was sold, and a hybrid with an unraced '55 Chevy body/frame and a roll cage & front hub assembly from a previously raced Bronco, and engine/drive train/Pontiac rearend/axle from another previously raced Bronco was put together for the last 1/2 half of '67. Also had the good fortune in '67 to drive Bubba Remling's #17 Pontiac Bronco in 1 event, and Jim Koehn's #8 Ford Bronco in at least 1 A Feature. Best '67 finish was 2nd in a B Feature in the Larry Trotter/Tommy Smith (aka T Tommy Tucker) co-owned #9 Car. The '67 #9 Bronco was sold to Gary Smith and raced in '68 as the #99 Car. I feel as though we brought under funded racing to a new level in that era. Sorry for the long response, I just didn't want to leave any turn unstoned.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Larry,

Interesting..

The Bubba Remling Pontiac Bronco, was that a brown painted Bronco that got upside down in turn 2 in 67 or 68?

I was thinking there was one Pontiac Hardtop I can recall but, thought it was #16.

Could have been another car all together I am thinking of. <_<

Anyway, thanks for sharing and let's get some photos up if we can if they haven't been posted already..

The Bubba Remling Number 17 Bronco was originally Jimmie Day's car. He was my partner in our salvage yard and in racing. Jimmie sold the Pontiac to Bubba at some point. I bet that car weighed 5000#. I don't remember what Bubba did with the Pontiac. Bubba was lots of fun and we all had some good times together.

Jim,

I was driving the Bubba Remling #17 Pontiac Bronco Stock Car at the beginning of '67, and had a turn 4 crash on the open practice day a week before the season opened. The Lee Hutchinson #90 Chevy Bronco came up behind me at the end of the back straightaway and attempted to pass entering turn 3, and when the red reflection disappeared in my mirror, I knew I was in trouble. Although a little shy on straightaway speed, I was carrying into the turns pretty well, and I don't think Lee realized that. When the #90 Car front end washed out, the impact blewout the LF tire on the #17 Car, and hello wall. I remember seeing the #90 Car in the air and on it's nose soon after impact. I was, of course, unhappy with Lee, but it was an accident, and thankfully we became friends and had a few(?) beers together later on. Lee passed away in the early 70s from Leukemia. The Pontiac front end damage was repaired, but the crankshaft broke the 1st night in the heat race. After that, I believe the car went to the salvage yard, and Bubba either loaned or gave me the rearend/axle and 5:86 gear as a spare. In about '77, I believe after celebrating his wife's birthday, Bubba Remling and his wife were both killed in a highway crash on Almeda Rd (FM 521), when an appraching vehicle crossed the center line.

Randy,

I don't recall the turn 2 accident you referenced, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Bubba Remling Pontiac Bronco which was white and reddish brown as I recall, and #17. If/when viewing the 9/25/'66 filmed Meyer Spdwy/Houston events, Bubba ran the heat race and feature race that day, and is shown in a spinout in the heat race. And, as I just posted, after a broken engine/crankshaft the 1st race of '67, that #17 Bronco, to my knowledge, never was raced again as a Bronco Stock Car.

Yes, they both died in that wreck. Bubba was known to frequent the establishments on Almeda road. Not sure who crossed the line but both of those little kids were left with Bubba's ageing parents last I heard. I never knew if Bubba had brothers or sisters but I think he was an only child. Sorry, it's really a sad story...............................

Right car, wrong driver. Mike drove the 24, Phils brother.

Speaking of Phil, he did pretty well in this race.

RESULTS: American Road 250- Virginia International Raceway -April 1, 1962

1-Curtis Turner (1962 Ford)

2-Bob Welborn (1962 Pontiac)

3- Dick Hutcherson (1962 Ford)

4-Jim Washburn (1961 Ford)

5- Iggy Katona (1962 Ford)

6- Clyde Parker (1961 Chevrolet)

7- Phil Cronin (1961 Ford)

8- Dick Freeman (1961 Chevrolet)

9- Curley Mills (1960 Ford)

10- Bob Bachler (1961 Ford)

11- Harold Smith (1962 Ford)

12- Ernie Derr (1962 Pontiac)

13- Jack Price (1961 Plymouth)

14- Harlan Richardson (1962 Ford)

15- Harold Dunlaw (1960 Ford)

Not bad for one of us Houston boys........................

Our friend Harlan Richardson. I failed to show him in the earlier post. I imagine that he and Phil shared expenses on that trip. He brought a wild looking modified to Playland that Jim White had built for him. The steering sat straight up. Harlan looked like a bus driver in there. Tragically, Harlan lost his life in a highway accident.

When the midgets came to town, Harlan always had 4 or 5 of them for the weekend at his dad's shop. The guys would do the last minute repairs there before going to the track. It was a nice deal for them because their cars and equipment were locked up at night instead of sitting on a trailer in a motel parking lot. And Harlan usually got a ride out of the deal..............................

• 3 weeks later...

Where is David Tennison :huh:

I have heard that David is still around somewhere but, not sure.

I recall the Hovas Furniture sponsorship on the Blue and White 55' Chevy at Meyer Speedway

Wasn't their shop located on West Gray Street in the 60's?

Maybe not, I could have slept some since then..

Question Jim,

Who made it first to turn one in this shot ??...

Well, with all due modesty, we were in the process of making the pass as can be seen in pic. Going into the turn, if you can take away the "white line" groove, you could usually make the pass. I don't think David's car was working all that well on this night. Otherwise we might have been wheel to wheel for a few laps......

Thanks Larry,

It's good to know I haven't lost all my memory.

I thought it was near downtown but, ..it's been awhile.. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Where is Walter Ballard?

Last I heard of Walter Ballard and his brothers was when they went NASCAR in the 70's.

Does anyone know what happened to him or his brothers?

If I recall correctly, Walter used to be part of the pit crew for George Nash..

• 2 weeks later...

Walter Ballard Modified

Jim,

You had mentioned in a previous post confirming that Walter Ballard's Modified was built from an old 48 Ford sedan and that Sonny was involved with building that car.

Maybe Sonny can recall the deminsions used in sectioning the body of that old 48 Ford. I know it's been a some time since the saws were out on the modified but, through curiosity he might recall the sectioning and width narrow figures on the body?

-Randy

Hi Randy,

I talked to Sonny this morning. He said he didn't remember the exact dimensions of the cuts. Some of that was in progress when he started working on it. He said he knew it was sectioned lengthwise on the roof as well as a cross section. The sides of the body also had some out of there. He said when they finished, it looked like the Volvos of that era. He then laughed and said, "I don't know why we didn't just get a Volvo! Would sure have saved a lot of work". He did tell me that Walter had some heart problems and was involved in a bad motorcycle wreck but has since recovered. If I hear anymore, I'll pass it on..................

• 2 months later...

Joe Plowman

" The Galveston Gambler"

Does anybody know what happened to Joe Plowman?

Is he still living in Galveston -Texas City area?

post-8338-1229835141.jpg

This 67 Modified was one of my favorites that he drove..

Unfortunately, the 37 Chevy Coupe was cut up after the 67 season..

Archived