Driver Search / Where are they?

Midget 85

LOOKING FOR INFO ON CLASSIC DRIVERS..

This will be a good thread for continued info on drivers as we hear of updates and or changes.

Eliminates searching all the threads to find info..

Please use this topic for all drivers and their updates as we move along. We will either move the other threads to this one or delete some of the older "Dead Threads" to keep our forum neat and up to date.

Midget 85

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim,

What year did you start at Meyer Speedway? Was it 63-64?

I don't think we've heard much about your racing days.

A lot of us would like to know..

M J is retired (more or less) and living on Lake Houston.

He is in his 80's now and moving kinda slow...was in hospital 3 weeks ago with kidney stone and doctors somehow managed to puncture a lung.

He's doing better and recovering at home... still floors some cars for some used car dealers on washington ave. Last race he went to was in San Antonio to watch sprinters run Hwy. 16 (SAS).

I won that night...led only last 2 laps...motor had bad valve springs.....Bill White was there and plenty of old war stories were told....Oh yeah the good ol' days.......denny

Jim's Info.

At Meyer.............Yes about 1964. I didn't run full seasons the first couple of years. We were on a two year driver limit but I actually got in part of a fourth season. We didn't win much but had more fun than the law allowed! My partner Jimmy Day (RIP) was a great guy and fun to be around. I had the privilege of helping George Nash on his Modified for awhile. Another fine human being with a huge knowledge of race cars, suspension and all it takes to win. Working with George is where I met Bill Mullins and Sonny Catchings. Bill took over the driving duty on my number 8 Bronco. The Bronco association politely asked me to quit driving considering the two year limit. :D I couldn't afford a modified and was content to help on George's car when I could. There's a lot more but this is the meat of it.

I'm sure when some of the other guys post, it will jog my memory to add more.

Thanks Denny,

Do keep us posted for all to know on MJ Burton.

Jim,

I was trying to remember you in the pits at Meyer Speedway but, I was more involved around 67-68 years I guess.

Was mainly out of town in the summer months making money to spend in those days.

Did'nt know you helped George Nash.

George and my dad used to work together way back in the early 50's at a steel fabrication and welding shop.

What were the rules with the FORD engines for the Bronco Division??

312 CI ? or 292..

We ran a 312 bored .060. Luther did a fantastic balance job on it. We ran an Isky track grind cam. The cam was hard face overlay, 505 T. Spicer rear end with 5.38 gears. All the rest was pretty generic. I was out there through 1970 or 71.

This is me back in the day:

http://www.svt-enthusiast.com/modules/gall...cs/scan0001_001

Great Shot Jim!

What about that right front hub assembly?

Remember all the unnecessary Ball Joints popping out of the Bronco's in those days and the rules wouldn't let you Beef'em up if I recall..

Tore up a lot of Frames and Fenders!

Just on the Chevys. The fords had a much larger ball joint. We could reenforce the lower control arm around the ball joint. This kept it from pulling out. it also kept the lower arm from flexing as much. Our right front hub was from a 3/4 ton Ford truck rear axle. Most guys ran Chevy hubs and we would have too. The Ford is just what we had on hand.

Here's a pic of the Ford lower ball joints. The threaded end is about 3/4" to 7/8" diameter.

http://www.svt-enthusiast.com/modules/gall...ford_ball_joint

Very Interesting indeed Jim,

Feel free to add more info on your memories at Meyer Speedway as we ask drivers to shed some experience on their racing days.

Ironic, their were very few Fords in the Bronco Division that I recall. That being yourself, Cronin, Withrow, and few others in those days.

I think after market parts for Fords weren't as available and then there were those already Die Hard Chevy fans..

Any other tricks you might have had up your sleeve or instances that would be notable to share?

On the 2 year driver limit..what the heck, you could have dyed your hair and gave a different drivers license..

Please share with us.. :D

And what happened to the Ready boys, Delbert and Melburn. I always enjoyed visiting with them and their dad. I think his name was Cleo but I always called him Mr. Ready. They had a yellow Chevy Bronco with red numbers, #44. Really nice guys.

Now that's another good one..

I only met these guys on occasion and do remember the Bronco you are referring to.

Wonder what happened to them?? Anyone know?

I do know that Mr. Ready asked me at one time if I wanted to buy his little white Midget sitting in his garage. I am still kicking myself for turning that down. That was a fine looking car. I'm not sure but I think it was a Kurtis.

Jim,

I think a lot of us kick ourselves for either letting go of some of our past cars or not buying some!

I can say I did the same thing.. :angry:

Paul Maire

OK, now here is another Bronco / Modified driver that hasn't been mentioned.

What happened to this guy?

He drove a 37 Chevy Modified Red #2 in 1967 after leaving the Bronco division. He used to pit by Jimmy Willis if I recall correctly.

He lived in Pasadena at one time but, don't know what happened to his car or himself after 1967.

Good lookin Modified as I recall..

Any scoop on this driver anyone?

Randy,

Among some '67/'68 Houston Bronco Stock Car pics in Texas Racing History is a black and yellow #21 Chevy, and I believe that is the Peanuts Jeffcoat Bronco. I have no other knowledge of him.

Paul Maire was an early Houston Bronco racer, and later raced Modifieds, and at one time, he was good friends with Harry Rushing.

Jim,

No kinship between Mel Newkirk's #2 Bronco and the pictured #21 Bronco, that I am fairly certain is the Peanuts Jeffcoat raced car from '67/'68. Once again, I'll mention that the #2 Car is pictured in late season '66, and it began racing as a '57 Chevy Late Model #4 Car that year, but after the Late Models were discontinued, the engine was swapped, the front clip replaced, and the tail fins trimmed to be legal as a Houston Bronco Stock Car. That body/frame only raced in '66, but it got around.

Larry,

I am sure you are correct and thanks for clearing the cob webs.

Peanut did drive the #21 Bronco and it was Yellow and Black as I recall.

For some reason I couldn't remember the number of that Bronco.

Thanks for clearing that up for us!

By the way..

Let's get info on Larry's Bronco years as well as Tracy's years posted on here.

Larry, care to tell us about your days at Meyer Speedway to get started?

Archived