TSRS announces new 2004 race date

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TSRS announces new race date at meeting

The Texas Super Racing Series (TSRS) announced Saturday (Jan. 10) has added one race to its 2004 schedule and dropped one date off its schedule.

TSRS founder/owner Mary Ann Naumann announced the series will run at Texas Motor Speedway on November 6, along with the ARTS trucks series. Naumann also announced that the scheduled May 8th race at San Antonio Speedway had been cancelled.

The meeting was the first registration meeting for TSRS and it was held at the Texas Events Center in Kyle, which sits right in front of Thunder Hill Raceway off IH-35.

Naumann started the meeting by introducing the 2004 TSRS officials and staff, including H.E. Naumann; Jack Sandefur, Director of Tech; Lisa Painter, Director of Public Relations; Moe Van Kirk, TSRS Flagman; Wynn Wilkerson, TSRS Race Director; Bob Bolin, Assistant Race Director; Mark Pervonick, Assistant Flagman; Amanda Neer, TSRS Pit Steward; Dee Jacob, Assistant Tech Inspector; Paula Neer, Assistant Scoring Director; Mickey McKim, TSRS race day official; Kim McKim, Frankie Wallace and Dean Sandefur, TSRS Staff Assistants; Christy Ganem, TSRS Merchandising Director; Chuck Licata, TSRS Director of Media; and, Jeff Garvin, TSRS Photographer.

Naumann then announced the new racing date for the series. Naumann continued by going over TSRS by-laws and procedures. TSRS Director of Tech Jack Sandefur went over the rules and fielded questions. Licata announced he was resigning as TSRS Series Announcer to concentrate on his new duties as Media Director. Other officials and sponsors then spoke to the crowd of about 150 people, which included 28 TSRS drivers, including 5 new series drivers.

Nick,

Stacy Tiemann will again be the TSRS Scoring Director for 2004. The only reason she wasn't listed in the press release was because she wasn't able to attend last night's meeting... ;)

I'll never forget the first time I tried to set up an oval LM for the TWS road course. Lots to learn boys and girls. Let me give you a hint -- figure out which corner you can make up the most time (the most critical corner) and set up for that one. And don't forget to hook up both ends of the the sway bar!

Nick Holt

Let me give you a hint -- figure out which corner you can make up the most time (the most critical corner) and set up for that one.

Nick Holt

Nick, you are right. Guys take some advise from a guy who has raced there in the SCCA. There are 2 real critical corners on the TMS roadcourse. The one that gets you off the oval and into the road course, and the one that gets you out of the road course.

The turn into the road course is a very high speed entry, severe braking, 2nd gear, 180 degree left hander, slightly downhill. You will have a very fast approach to this one and good brakes are mandatory. The road course is not that challenging, but it does have one difficult double apex corner that you need to hit right to keep your speed up for the "S" curves which follow.

The exit from the road course I think is more critical because it can have serious effects on your overall speed for the really fast portion of the oval. This turn is either a second or third gear corner depending on your gear ratios in the transmission and rear end. I would set up the gearing for this corner and set it up for a mid RPM, good torque range, 2nd gear corner. The turn is 180 degrees left hander, slightly uphill to get on the back straight banking. Hit this corner right each lap and your lap times and overall speed will be good.

Good luck.

If that's the course, then it's pretty much like a short oval suspension set up.. just tune for turn 7 and let the rest take care of themselves.. the three minor right handers can basically be ignored except you have to have both ends of the sway bar hooked up... and maybe a little less pos camber on the LF.

Nick Holt

Question for road course at TMS,

How many gear changes per lap? Can you just gear back an forth between 3rd and 4th? or is there a slow enough corner to force you down to 2nd? What might the top speed be on this road course? Does anyone want to share a guess a what rear end gear ratio might be needed for this track configuration?

Just curious.

Thanks,

Mel

Nick, you'd think that the right handers weren't important, but the 5a-5b-6 section of the course is pretty important also. If you can get through those sections wide-open (in a truck anyway) you've got a lot of your competition beat. As you said though, getting off turn 7 is very important because of the very long straight. You can also go into turn 1 wide open if your truck is set up right.

As far as speeds, the truck ran well over 100mph at the end of that straight. I think the pole was around 41-42 seconds, and romco was much faster than that. I basically shifted at the 2 hairpin corners, from 3rd to 2nd in the trucks. We geared in the 4.10 final drive range, but I'm sure the TSRS will certainly be different.

When I drove the roadrace car there, the race direction was clockwise...the dang thing was nearly all rights but it was the course shown on the diagram above. It did not get onto the 1.5 oval. It was really strange to have to look across the dash(to the right) all day. Also strange to not be able to see the inside radius of the turn. I used 3 gears(of 5) , the car probably weighed 2500, had 300 hp (maybe) and had good brakes.

Jay

Archived