big dog shootout

ups88john

Sorry Big John,

All I have is the entry list.

I still have the Turkey Shoot out results if you want those.

Why dont' you try sending Owen a PM, if he doesn't have them he can get in touch with Wayne. Cause I bet he will have them.

Damn big john, you been sleeping since then or what? LMAO

Here ya go!

Big Dog Shootout Thunder Hill Raceway 11-1-02/11-23-02

By J M Hallas

Battle down to the final laps

Kyle Texas. Finally after a three week wait the final night of the Big Dog Shootout was completed. The race, originally scheduled for Nov. 1st and 2nd was only able to complete the Fri. Night portion of the show. Due to scheduling conflicts with other big shows, the race was rescheduled for Nov. 23rd. Even with a small car count, the finale was one of the best shows, with the finish undecided till the final laps.

Fri. Nov. 1st The A-qualifier would set up the inside row for the big $5,000 to win A-main. In the A-qualifier it was Steve Miller driving the Trucksource.net/Nelson Auto Group/Pflugerville Machine/Hughes Chassis to the win ahead of Kenny Gaddis, John Hieneman, Chris Swenson, Joey Hieneman, George White, Howard Willis, Jerry Schild, Austin Carter, Sean Jones, Troy Taylor, Charles Nelson, Henry Witt, Ray Doyon, Paul White, Curt Clegg, David Machen, James Cole, Billy Johanneck, Don Banker, Corey O’Brien, JR Fanelli, David Sevilla and Terry Brooks. Gaddis, Miller, Doyon, Jn. Hieneman, B. Johanneck and Jerry Schild took heat wins, while Jy. Hieneman and Swenson took the B-main honors.

The top twelve finishers from the A-qualifier would transfer directly to the Big Dog Shootout. Three drivers failed to make the return trip for the final night due to other commitments. Willis, Gaddis and Taylor were the no-shows, moving Witt, Doyon and 2001 Silver Bullet Champ, P. White into transfer spots.

The start of Sat. Nov. 23rd events would see Steve Johanneck, Cole, Chris Davidson, in a borrowed car after his was destroyed by Brandon Berryman in the earlier show and Wayne Brooks, fresh off his $5,000 payday at Bellmead’s Big Money Blowout win taking the heat races. In the B-qualifier S. Johanneck took the lead from the pole and began to pull away from the field. Brooks, Cole and Davidson had a good battle going for second while Barry Codling and Lawrence Mikulencak made their way up through the field from their mid pack starts using the high groove.

At halfway S. Johanneck held a good lead over Brooks, Cole, Davidson and Codling. S. Johanneck’s lead was erased after Sevilla spun and was collected by O’Brien and Roger Williams. S. Johanneck got a slight lead back on the restart until Mikulencak blew a motor and erupted in flames while battling for seventh. S. Johanneck again took off on the restart leaving Cole and Davidson to fight it out for third.. When the checkers flew it was S. Johanneck in the Litchfield Auto Body/American Roto Tools/Rhino Roto Mouldings/Harris Chassis with the win putting him on the outside front row for the Big Dog finals.

S. Johanneck, Brooks, Cole, Davidson, Codling, Keith Sandefur, Banker, Larry Smith, GW Egbert, Kenny Stone, Chris Snocker and Eddy Ross all made the transfer to the A-main.

24 cars started the 100 lap, $5,000 to win A-main with Miller and S. Johanneck on the front row. Miller grabbed the lead while S. Johanneck got hung on the tricky outside groove and fell back to fourth. The yellow flew early on lap 3 when Codling and Schild made contact causing Codling to spin. Two time past IMCA National Champ, Witt suffered a flat tire on the restart after the pack stacked up and he ran into the back of another car. The caution came out again a couple laps later when Nelson stopped on track.. Lap 15 saw Banker and Sandefur get together with Banker spinning off the track. After the restart, the top six began pull away as everyone up front stayed in line and saved their tires for the end. While Jn. Hieneman and Miller bumped for the lead, Swenson moved around Jn. Hieneman for second only to have a caution come out for a spin by Snocker, and put him back in third. During the yellow, Minn. driver, S. Johanneck was forced to the infield with smoke coming from his car. Sandefur would bring out another caution for a solo spin on lap 38. Just before the mid point of the race Banker and Doyon made contact, sending Banker for a loop. A mid race caution was thrown to refuel with the top five being Miller, Jn. Hieneman, Swenson, Jy. Hieneman and Cole.

After the fuel stop the real race started, this time the top 13 all hung together. On lap 62 Swenson moved up to the high side getting around Jn. Hieneman and challenging Miller for the lead. Miller made contact with both Swenson and Jn. Hieneman and spun, collecting Davidson who flew off turn two. On the restart Swenson’s lead was short-lived as he slid high on cool tires allowing Jn. Hieneman to get back by. Miller, who restarted at the tail slowed and waited on the leaders, then stacked them up with a blocking maneuver. Fortunately a caution for Codling came, who stopped with a flat, and Miller was black flagged.

Jn. Hieneman and Swenson started to get a lead while Cole and Jy. Hieneman battled for third. Once getting around Jy. Hieneman, Cole quickly ran down the lead duo. 2002 TAMS series champ, Jn. Hieneman’s chances of being Big Dog came to an end when he ran over some debris and knocked a hole in the radiator &/or oil pan. The final 20 laps were a shootout, as Swenson assumed the lead after Jn. Hieneman’s trouble. But Cole was able to get past Swenson on lap 81 for the lead. Swenson tried the high side several times unsuccessfully as the lead duo pulled away. In the last 10 laps, Swenson and Cole ran door to door, swapping paint and doughnuts with Swenson edging ahead one lap and Cole getting it back the next. The leaders then approached an eight car pack running for 11th on back. Cole got hung up slightly by slower traffic and that was all the room Swenson needed as he shot by Cole with two to go. Swenson held off Cole on the final lap to put his Gain/Synergyn/A+ Plus Cash/ B&A Automotive/Swenson Chassis in the winners circle to pocket the $5,000 check.

Swenson, Cole, Brooks, Banker, Stone, P. White, Schild, Ross, Davidson,

Nelson, Doyon, Codling, Witt, Jy. Hieneman, Snocker, Sandefur, Smith. Jn. Hieneman, Miller, Egbert, S. Johanneck, Carter and Jones. George White--finished fourth but was DQ'ed for being 20#’s light.

2002 Big Dog Shootout results:

1. #48 - Chris Swenson - Comfort TX - 100 laps

2. #14 - James Cole - San Antonio TX - 100 laps

3. #UF0 - Wayne Brooks - Bald Knob AR - 100 laps

4. #37 - Don Banker - Austin TX - 100 laps

5. #31 - Kenny Stone - Troy TX - 100 laps

6. #1X - Paul White - Temple TX - 100 laps

7. #5 - Jerry Schild - Katy TX - 100 laps

8. #351 - Eddy Ross - Corpus Christi - 100 laps

9. #15 - Chris Davidson - Houston TX - 100 laps

10. #03 - Charles Nelson - Austin TX - 100 laps

11. #9 - Ray Doyon - Natalia TX - 100 laps

12. #8 - Barry Codling - Poth TX - 100 laps

13. #701 - Henry Witt Jr. - Waco TX - 100 laps

14. #4 - Joey Heinaman - Corpus Christi - 99 laps

15. #7 - Chris Snocker - San Antonio TX - 99 laps

16. #44 - Keith Sandefur - New Braunfels TX - 96 laps

17. #17 - Larry Smith - Corpus Christi TX - 94 laps

18. #41 - John Heinaman - Corpus Christi TX - 79 laps

19. #81 - Steve Miller - Austin TX - 68 laps

20. #717 - G. W. Egbert - Salado TX - 58 laps

21. #1 - Steve Johanneck - Litchfield MN - 28 laps

22. #71 - Austin Carter - Harlingen TX - 28 laps

23. #51 - Sean Jones - Irving TX - 2 laps

24. #181 - George White - Corpus Christi

• 8 years later...

John Heinaman had the lead I think before he ran over a muffler that took out the oil filter and yes he had f-53 on the right and the 970 on the left side so you are right on Poorboy. The tires were interesting allowed for different motor combinations the f-53 seemed to be the best but the big motors on the threaded tire were tough, Jack Sandefur did the majority of the tech for us and me and Wayne helped when needed, we had a 129 people pay to watch that show so it was a rough one but we all survived. Wayne Brooks put on a show running the ar g60 and Steve miller led for a long time on the g-60 so the tire combinations worked good.

Thought I would add in some details.

Owen

Would it be safe to say that each tire had advantages and disadvantages?

F53 -Soft but fell off fast

G60 -hard but didn't fall off as bad

970 -soft but not as wide of tread

Actually you're some what backward on your acessment. The 970 is a harder compound than the F53, but the 970 is 1" wider than the F53. Because the F53 is softer, it comes in faster, but is gone after 1, maybe 2 races. If you can get the 970 hot enough, it comes in good and lasts about double the laps. We never ran the G60, but I remember it being real good for about 15 laps and then going away real fast.

SAS was fast enough that we blistered F53's a couple of times. It always happened at about 75 - 85 laps in when we had long green runs.

The worst tire we ever ran was the AM Racer asphalt slick. It not only blistered, but came apart in big chunks.

John Heinaman had the lead I think before he ran over a muffler that took out the oil filter and yes he had f-53 on the right and the 970 on the left side so you are right on Poorboy. The tires were interesting allowed for different motor combinations the f-53 seemed to be the best but the big motors on the threaded tire were tough, Jack Sandefur did the majority of the tech for us and me and Wayne helped when needed, we had a 129 people pay to watch that show so it was a rough one but we all survived. Wayne Brooks put on a show running the ar g60 and Steve miller led for a long time on the g-60 so the tire combinations worked good.

Thought I would add in some details.

Owen

Owen, now that you mention it, I do remember Jack and his carb gauges.

Lawrence M and Newton B ran big motors and they were really hard to get around at SAS, but those motors didn't help much at HMP, THR, CCS and RRS. But, it was really nice to have rules that would let you run pretty much anything you had.

Would it be safe to say that each tire had advantages and disadvantages?

F53 -Soft but fell off fast

G60 -hard but didn't fall off as bad

970 -soft but not as wide of tread

The worst tire we ever ran was the AM Racer asphalt slick. It not only blistered, but came apart in big chunks.

That was IF you got some to hold air long enough.

Actually you're some what backward on your acessment. The 970 is a harder compound than the F53, but the 970 is 1" wider than the F53. Because the F53 is softer, it comes in faster, but is gone after 1, maybe 2 races. If you can get the 970 hot enough, it comes in good and lasts about double the laps. We never ran the G60, but I remember it being real good for about 15 laps and then going away real fast.

SAS was fast enough that we blistered F53's a couple of times. It always happened at about 75 - 85 laps in when we had long green runs.

Thanks for the tire expertise. Ya'll running SAS?

Cory

You're right about that. You had to set the tire pressures during line up they leaked down so fast.

Poorby

Lawrence was fast on any track. I think he was the only driver to win on 970's at any track other than SAS.

RussWheeler_18

I attended a Hoosier training class once so that makes me an expert. LOL :unsure::lol:

We are going to run a mod at SAS. Unfortunately our engine builder (Burlington Performance) will be going in the hospital for major surgery and won't be able to complete our built motor, so we will have to run our crate. I think the unlimiteds will have a advantage on the 1/2 mile.

Archived