more meyer spdwy super mod photos

chipmunk

Hummmm ........................... Very Interesting! Can it be that the 16 car is the 2nd incarnation of the famous #2 Roadster/Super modified? I've downloaded the pic, resized and enhanced it. I'm also going to post the pic on that other thread. Here it is.............Thanks Chipmunk! ................

post-3-1379429162.jpg

After revisiting this thread, I have concluded that this is indeed the 2 car. After further review, I believe that is Mr. White's trailer. The tire rack is gone but it looks to be Bill's trailer. Thought y'all should know this. :D:D

post-4772-1232919300.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

This really brings back memories. The last supermodifed race at Meyer Speedway was held in July or August of 79. I still have the race program from that day. The feature finish was 1) Ricky Otts 2) Leroy Halfin or Page Reynolds 3) Hugh Richards. Otts lapped the field up to 2nd place. Hugh Richards set quick time at 19.64. I think the track record was 19.45. That was the last race I ever attended at Meyer. :(

• 1 year later...

Wow....amazing thread!

I know its been a year since last post but I thought it might be well to keep it alive :D

No number car (I think) in post #63 then again in post #97 with the #21 (definantly)

The #21 Hite car (later to be the orange #24) was driven by Butch Harris but was owned by Carroll Cheek of Houston. I believe Rat Lane had a couple of rides in it also in the early days. Im proud to say I wrenched that car in its heyday (In my early teens).

Also to verify previous posts...even though post#97 shows the radiator over the right rear, you can imagine what a disaster that was. The radiator on that particular car was indeed moved to the nose and was mounted in a negative raked position matching the front lower frame rail, Im guessing about 30* forward at the top, with a raked screen to direct any track debris downward.

Just happen to be talking with my son about the ole Super days and found these pics and thread. Good times.

Shane Reves

Edited by DeadRoman

Hummmm ........................... Very Interesting! Can it be that the 16 car is the 2nd incarnation of the famous #2 Roadster/Super modified? I've downloaded the pic, resized and enhanced it. I'm also going to post the pic on that other thread. Here it is.............Thanks Chipmunk! ................

post-3-1379429273.jpg

After revisiting this thread, I have concluded that this is indeed the 2 car. After further review, I believe that is Mr. White's trailer. The tire rack is gone but it looks to be Bill's trailer. Thought y'all should know this. :D:D

Does anyone know who was driving that 16/2 car when this photo was taken, and perhaps, when was this taken? just curious!

• 11 months later...
No big deal, but the driver in the photo of Red Upton's 44 was Wayne McNally. He drove for Red that summer while Bill Hite built us the #20 rear engine car that we later sold to McLaren #13

Wayne McAnally who I saw racing at Devils Bowl as late as 1997 in that old Roadster sprint car of his

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anybody know anything about an Orange colored #22 super in late seventies? I was driving back to Austin in 79 or so, coming from TWS, and saw an orange supermod being towed on a trailer, heading out of austin on 290. Car was rear engined, had a large top wing, all orange, with black #22 on it. Maybe someone knows, I figured. FYI Austin was not racing supers at this time, and I think JFMS had already closed by this time.

• 1 year later...
Anybody know anything about an Orange colored #22 super in late seventies? I was driving back to Austin in 79 or so, coming from TWS, and saw an orange supermod being towed on a trailer, heading out of austin on 290. Car was rear engined, had a large top wing, all orange, with black #22 on it. Maybe someone knows, I figured. FYI Austin was not racing supers at this time, and I think JFMS had already closed by this time.

I believe your talking about the Orange #24 of Carroll Cheek. You pretty much decribed it to a tee.

Its the same car (I believe) in the post #97 marked as number 21. It was the only orange car in this area at that time. Shortly after that pic was taken Carroll fell in love with the orange Foyt was using at the time and repainted the car with it. Being friends with Foyt he spent a bit of time around that color. Most beautiful orange.....actual code name was Foyt Red

Does anybody remember Wayne McNally's purple rear engine car? Boy that was a beauty also.

Edited by DadRoman

• 1 year later...

The number 7 the man in the center is Fred Furlow the dude in front bending over is Billy Perran that car was bought from Wayne Nedicker. This is same car Red Upton and Sonny Upton took measurements from at Browning @furlow shop to build 44 only different roll cage and body different on 44 all running gear same on 7 and 44.And that man in center has white t shirt on.

Sonny, You are correct about the picture of the 7 car. It was owned at the time of the photo by Fred Furlow. The man in the cockpit is Bob Brown who was a a top notch machinist/engeineer back in the day and made a bunch of the customer parts for my Dads (Red Garner) Fred Furlow and Billy Perrins race cars. The man unstrapping the car on the right front is my Dad Red Garner and I do not se Billy Perrin in the picture. I am going to have to ask my Dad when this was and why he was working on Freds car on not his car. I do now that in this thread there is a picture of this car in all blue. You are correct is memory serves me right that this was originally the 99 of Wayne Niedeken Sr. By the way what happened to this car?

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys, The #9 car pictured on post #29 of this thread is the last of 4 cars I built. George Nash had been driving for Poncho Locklan and went over the wall and flipped end over end down the back stretch between the fence and the back stretch bleaches at Meyers destroying the car they had been running. I had been running a small block chevy with no quick change on dirt and sold the car less engine to Poncho. He took his big block and other running gear from the wrecked car and put in it. That is when John McClaren started driving for him. There was a Super Modified Nationals race scheduled in Miami, Fl and Poncho ask me if I would go with him to the nationals and help set the car up which I did. There were over a couple hundred car from all over the country. Johnny piloted the #9 to a 4th place finish. Several years later Page Reynolds drove it at a big race on the high banks at Mobil, AL and lapped the field setting a track record that stood for several years.

post-15749-0-25194000-1419556718_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A friend and I are having a discussion on the history of some of old supermodifieds that ran in Mississippi. I have a few questions if anyone can answer them. My father co-owned the #99 that Ikey Jerome drove in the 60's-70's and Dad and the co-owners were friends with Mr. Fred Furlow. I believe Mr. Furlow bought the last Wayne Niedecken #99 supermodified roadster. Whatever happened to that car? Also, Mr. Fred bought the #45 super from Jackson and Ival Cooper and Bill White drove it for him still painted as the #45. There's a picture of that car on your site. There is also another picture of a #7 supermodified, white with Mr. Fred and 4 girls in front of the car. That car, like the #45, was built by Andy Anderson who built a number of the late 60's supermodifieds that raced in Jackson, Mobile, Pensacola. My memory is that the white #7 was not the #45 repainted but instead that #7 car was originally the last #27 that Gene Tapia raced. Does anyone on here have any knowledge about the history of these cars owned by Mr. Furlow.

I believe Mr. Furlow bought the last Wayne Niedecken #99 supermodified roadster. Whatever happened to that car?

Mike, There is one of Wayne's old Supers in the Pensacola/Mobile area.I would guess this is the car you are asking about. It was restored some time back, and while I do not know the present owner, I am friends with Wayne's daughter Waynetta and his son Junior, and they know all about it. I can get with her about it's current status and post it here. I do know from talking with Waynetta that it has changed hands a time or two.

When I get home from work, I can post a pic of the car with Waynetta and Wayne JR posing beside it.

A friend and I are having a discussion on the history of some of old supermodifieds that ran in Mississippi. I have a few questions if anyone can answer them. My father co-owned the #99 that Ikey Jerome drove in the 60's-70's and Dad and the co-owners were friends with Mr. Fred Furlow. I believe Mr. Furlow bought the last Wayne Niedecken #99 supermodified roadster. Whatever happened to that car? Also, Mr. Fred bought the #45 super from Jackson and Ival Cooper and Bill White drove it for him still painted as the #45. There's a picture of that car on your site. There is also another picture of a #7 supermodified, white with Mr. Fred and 4 girls in front of the car. That car, like the #45, was built by Andy Anderson who built a number of the late 60's supermodifieds that raced in Jackson, Mobile, Pensacola. My memory is that the white #7 was not the #45 repainted but instead that #7 car was originally the last #27 that Gene Tapia raced. Does anyone on here have any knowledge about the history of these cars owned by Mr. Furlow.

Mike, As for the #7 white Super that you ask about. This car was bought by Fred and driven by Bill Blumrick and Bill White back in the day. My Dad was real good friends with Fred and Dad and I often went by Mr. Furlows plumbing shop where he kept and worked on his cars. The 7 car was stolen from the plumbing co early one Suday morning asI remember and the car was found cut to pieces for scrap not long thereafter. Mr Furlow then purchased the Orange 45 car and Bill White and Ival cooper drove teh car from there. As to the whereabouts of the 45 car I do not have a cue what happened and I ask my Dad and he does not know either. My Dad owns the 3 SUper that ran a Meyer, Jackson, Mobile, Pcola, Baton Rouge and SAn Antonio from 69 to 77. I am currently restoring this car and sure would like to find some others like the 45 and the old yellow super that XClay reeves owned and Hugh Richards drove but I heard in one post that that car destroyed in Florida in a big race in the late 70s. if you go to the Mrs.Chicken site you will se the old 44 car that is the sister car to the 45 and they may have some info. My Dad was good friends with Ikey back in the day when they raced together and I was wondering if he is still alive and if he still had the old hite car.