more meyer spdwy super mod photos

chipmunk

:D:D:D Did you ever look at the headers on George Nash's 24 Modified? Those stubs came out about 4". George left them that way until he sold the car. He also won three Liberty Bell Races with those headers, lapping the field several times. I think he was driving Fred's car in his fourth win. The FE Fords didn't seem to mind the stubbys.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

curious does anyone have pics of Munson Stoddar's # 57 winged super the orange one? as a kid i used to call that car the heinz 57 car lol also how about some pics of Sonny Upton in the # 44 winged super?

Edited by chipmunk

Retrott,

It looks like the cage has brackets for a wing, but I simply don't know the answer regarding the question on the particular night this pic was taken.

Cutting Edge Racing,

I can remember one car in particular that ran no headers at all. The exhaust just exited the side of the heads. It didn't seem to slow the car down any though. :D

Mark and Chipmunk,

In Texas Racing History, Meyer Speedway 2005, Post #59, appears to be possibly from Jackson Motor Spdwy, and pictured is Munson Stodder III in the Stodder Racing Super with wing. Looks to me like the same car pictured in this section, but with wing added. If memory serves me correctly, the late Munson Stodder III's dad, Munson Stodder Jr passed away while this car was being built and near completion.

Also, as I understand, the number style was decided after observing a steak sauce bottle label while visiting a food establishment on Telephone Rd/Houston.

Edited by RETrott

JIM, YOU MIGHT WANT TO ASK DAD ABOUT THE HEADERS ON THE FALCON FENDERED CAR WHEN HE RAN THE HOLMAN MOODY 427 FORD BUT I BELIEVE THAT IS WHAT HM TOLD HIM TO RUN BACK THEN. I'M SURE DAD CAN GIVE THE REAL SCOOP. IT MIGHT HAVE EVEN BEEN LUTHERS IDEA TO RUN THE SHORT TUBES.

Great Supermodified Racecar pictures. The Winged Supermodified #44 Car, is I believe, the Red Upton owned/built car, but the driver may or may not be Sonny Upton. I recall that car being driven in at least one Meyer Spdwy/Houston event by Larry Schild. And, I believe it was driven by someone else in other events, after originally being driven by Sonny Upton. I am unaware why Sonny got "out of the seat". As drivers go, I always thought he was a good choice.

The pictures appear to be MS/Houston and JS/Jackson.

Edited by RETrott

If I'm not mistaken, I could be wrong, but I think the #121 Supermodified is a Bill Hite front/side engine creation, and the Supermodified with no visible number is a Bill Hite rear engine creation. Probably about '72, give or take a year or so. The #122 Supermodified is I believe the Hugh Richards driven car that would "turn and go" when exiting the turns at Meyer Spdwy/Houston. His best place to pass, and then carried the speed to the next turn exit.

RED GARNER MODIFIEDS

I will attempt to clean up some of the photos and enlarge without losing the qualityof these great shots reflecting back on a great piece of Meyer Speedway History.

Some of the originals were taken with less technology in camera terms compaired to todays. I can only enlarge with what is posted on this forum since I don't have the originals and or the size photo that is posted.

I will be editing some of these photos from time to time..

We hope all will enjoy this history.

-Randy

"RED"

post-8338-1215208115_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1215937550_thumb.jpg

post-8338-1215937595_thumb.jpg

Mark,

If I remember correctly, the drive-in, which I believe was known as The Winkler Drive-In, was actually on Winkler with a back entrance on the east side of Telephone Rd. The Tele-Wink Grill was/is on the west side of Telephone Rd, across from where the drive-in was. Also, Bill's Grill was on the east side of Telephone Rd, almost at the Winkler Dr intersection.

here are some more supers from Houston

[resized and reformated by Nick Holt, 6/27/08]

post-3-1214600070_thumb.jpg

THE RER ENGINE CAR IS BUTCH HARRIS AND THE DRIVER OF THE 44 WAS WAYNE NIEDEKEN. THESE 4 PICS WERE TAKEN IN 1973, THE 122 AND 121 HUGH RICHARDS AND RAT LANE WERE TAKEN AT MEYER AND THE 44 AND REAR ENGINE CAR WHICH WAS 24 WERE TAKEN AT MOBILE.

Larry,

It was my understanding that Upton took a job or either was transfered to Chicago,Ill. and therefore had to give up his seat..

Recently, I believe Chet Filip (sp) won a USAC Silver Crown Race at Richmond Spdwy/Virginia. Chet raced Supermodified Events at Meyer Spdwy/Houston on occasion, and I wonder if he ever drove the #121 Supermodified pictured with Rat Lane. I vaguely recall Chet racing a similiar car, with a full cast on his leg, I'm thinking left leg, at Meyer Spdwy/Houston, early '70s.

Chet did win at Richmond in late June of this year.

As for his Super, he owned a rear-engined Bill Hite Super that looked just like the #121 pictured. He raced it in the the mid to late 70's timeframe. I've seen pics of it; I will find them when I get to my home computer.

The last time I saw Chet's rear-engine super, it was in the back of his Dad's shop in San Angelo--Fillip Automotive. This was in the mid 90's. I heard it eventually became a display there, but I do not know the current fate of the car since Marv's passing a couple years ago.

But you can talk to Chet or Cory Fillip at Advanced Racing Suspensions in Indianapolis. ARS is their company. Chet may know if any other cars are out there.

Edited by txtom