more meyer spdwy super mod photos

chipmunk

well guys just to let you know the pic of the #9 pancho car with john driving. on the back of the pic is written ( #9 pancho's car john mclearn driving meyer speedway 4-14-73) thats what is written on the back.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chipmunk....maybe what is written on back of picture...but 110% sure that is not meyer speedway....Larry ,Lippy aka David Watkins...legend in his own mind....Grandpa was Jack Watkins #22 winged modified...red and white ....Always fast(jack).....I think I remember Jack being a roofer. Lippy later changed his # to 38 when he ran sprints and midgets at Big H.

Edited by GINGERBREADMAN

I want you to pay very close attention to this next picture. This Is Pancho's car at JIS, note the catch fence in the background as well as the pit wall entrance.

9-Paige20Reynolds-Pancho20Lockli-1.jpg

Paige Reynolds was driving the car on this day

Here is another picture, more that likely 1973 of Pancho's car when Johnny McLaren was driving it. Could even be the same day as the other photo.

9-John20McLaren-Pancho20Locklin20ow.jpg

48-Jerry20Bennett-Memphis20TN-Hobby.jpg

Here's one of a Late Model just to reference the fence and stands at JIS

SONATA_VOLUME-236.jpg

Now this shot is coming out of turn 4 coming down the front stretch at Meyers, note the distinct difference, and the background. no trees what so ever, never were back then. Pit road had a Armco guardrail not a concrete wall

SONATA_VOLUME-255.jpg

Edited by mfbarnes

• 2 weeks later...

When you mentioned John working on J C's Modified some of the cobwebs cleared. I seem to recall Blackie Lothringer driving for them at Meyer Spdwy. Was that the same car that Blackie was driving in 9/'66 when the races were filmed? I believe it was # 98, late '30s modified coupe body.

• 2 weeks later...

It may have been the first one he drove, but I'm thinking it was owned by someone else. I don't know if it was reskinned or a new build, but as for Charlie, he was known to check out anything Larry or Jerry drove in those days before they got in the car. This picture appears to be '68. The Schild team built a Modified Stock Car that year, but it was not completed until mid/late season. The new car was a late '30s/'40s modified sedan bodied/framed car, one of the last specifically built Houston Modified Stock Cars of that era.

• 5 months later...

The #55 Modified Car pictured in post # 1 is hard to see, but am I seeing a car similiar in appearance to the Falcon Fender bodied Modified Car #3 that was raced in the late '60s at Meyer Spdwy/Houston? If not mistaken, I could be wrong, but I am curious.

HEY GUYS THE TRACK SHOWING THE SUPERS COMING OFF OF TURN FOUR IS JACKSON MS. THE ONLY FENCE WAS ON THE FRONT STRETCH. BATON ROUGE (PELICAN SPWY) HAD A FENCE ALL THE WAY AROUND IT. WE USED TO RACE AT JACKSON, MOBILE AND PENSICOLA AND ALL 3 TRACKS AT THE TIME HAD A CONCRETE WALL PROTECTING THE FRONT STRETCH.

Edited by Midget 85

RED'S 4 FALCON FENERED 3 SUPER WITH BILLY PERRIN DRIVING. NOTICE THE ENGINE DIFFERENCE. ONE THE FEATURE WITH THE BIG BLOCK FORD THE LAST RACE BEFORE MID SEASON AT MEYER AND THEY HAD A WEEK OFF. THE 427 HAD TO BE SENT BACK TO HOLMAN MODDY FOR REBUILD AND DAD DID NOT HAVE A BACK UP AND THEY WERE LEADING THE POINTS. FRED FURLOW WHO OWNED THE 7 MODIFIED DRIVEN BY BILL BLUMRICK LET RED BORROW THE SMALL BLOCK 331 CHEVY BECAUSE HEIS #7 HAD BEEN DESTROYED IN A WRECK AND HE HAD NO BACK UP CAR. THE ACTUAL REPLACEMENT FOR THE OLD MOD OF FREDS WAS IN A PREV. POST (YELLOW 7 WITH BLACK WING) THAT IS THE CAR THAT FRED BOUGHT TO REPLACE THE OLD MODIFIED. ANYWAY THE SBC THAT FRED LOANED TO DAD (RED GARNER) STAYED IN THE CAR THE REST OF THE SEASON AND DAD STAYED WITH SBC'S FROM THEN ON. BY THE WAY THIS CAR ONE ALL BUT MAYBE 5 FEATURES IN 68 WITH BILLY PERRIN DRIVING BEFORE DAD GAVE IT HIS BROTHER AND BUILT THE WINGED SUPER 3.

post-3-1213730122_thumb.jpg

post-3-1213730133_thumb.jpg

can you name all the drivers in this shot. The 3, 122, 24, 2 and 9 cars are not in this picture becuase they are past the camera already in turn 1. I had the other pic but cannot find it. I remember it because those 5 cars ran away and lapped the field in this race. The FINISHING ORDER was the 24, 3, 122, 9, 2 and 13 based on the top six finish on back of the picture. 24 BUTCH HARRIS, 3 DON STODDER, 122 HUGH RICHARDS, 9 RONNIE CHUMLEY, 2 LEROY HALFIN AND 13 JOHN MCCLARREN. THE GOOD OL DAYS.

post-8338-1215481819_thumb.jpg

Edited by Midget 85

JIM IT SOMEWHERE BETWEEN 72 AND 75 I CANT MAKE IT OUT ON THE PICTURE BACK. LOOK AT THE DIFFERENCE IN THE SPRINT WINGS VS. THE SUPER WINGS. THE GUARDRAIL AT MEYER SURE WAS DANGEROUS BACK IN THOSE DAYS. IT WAS LIKE A CAN OPENER. WOW.

I noticed the parking lot but i didnt think twice about it cause when the supers were racing the lot was always full and so was the back straight away stands. That pic shows off turn 3 and 4 heck if they could see the front stretch parking lot it was full. When the supers left meyer crowd count went down and those new apartments they built didnt help.Jeez People these days, racetrack nearby move in then complain,airport nearby move in then complain,railroad track nearby move in then complain, sound like a recording, it is if it was there way before the public they will find a way to destroy it..... I bet some of the complaints of noise came from the apts. And came from people that was'nt even alive when meyer was built,I lived off Hiram Clarke and when we could'nt be at the races i'd stand outside to hear the cars and were like 3 miles away and lucky are street was at the end of a power line clearing that went from the turn 1 and 2 corner so i could hear the cars get off the gas and back on it.Today i'd rater hear horsepower over boom boom music any day................P.S. god bless the drivers that graced Meyer Speedway to make it what it was, and for the great memories and friendships we will always carry with us wether close or far we will never forget!!!!!!!!!!!