Virus problems

quadsquad

Is anyone else experiencing a large number of virus problems? Every time I visit this site, my virus screener starts pinballing. It may be a coincidence, but is there any way for the moderators or site owners to have a scan run to see if the problems are originating here? Thanks. Sure would appreciate it.

As far as I can tell, TXSZ is clean.

But there are some pretty crafty bad guys out there these days, so one can never be too careful. Sooo... can you give me any more information about the sorts of virus problems you are experiencing? Like the name of the virus that your anti virus software is detecting... Or the IP address that your AV software is reporting as offending IP addresses?

Thanks.

Nick Holt

A port scan is a series of messages sent by someone attempting to break into a computer to learn which computer network services, each associated with a "well-known" port number, the computer provides. Port scanning, a favorite approach of computer cracker, gives the assailant an idea where to probe for weaknesses. Essentially, a port scan consists of sending a message to each port, one at a time. The kind of response received indicates whether the port is used and can therefore be probed for weakness.

Types of port scans include:

vanilla - An attempt to connect to all ports (there are 65,536)

Strobe - An attempt to connect to only selected ports (typically, under 20)

Stealth scan - Several techniques for scanning that attempt to prevent the request for connection being logged

FTP Bounce Scan - Attempts that are directed through an File Transfer Protocol server to disguise the cracker's location

Fragmented Packets - Scans by sending packet fragments that can get through simple packet filters in a firewall

UDP - Scans for open User Datagram Protocol ports

Sweep - Scans the same port on a number of computers

Above information was provided by searchsecurity.techtarget.com

A good firewall detects port scans and blocks attempts to gain access to your computer through a vunerable port.

Hope this answers your question.

Nick

Budman,

If you are running Windows, any version, Windows Defender can protect you from this happening. And the really neat part of Windows Defender is that it is free. There are a few other free firewalls out there so you just have to shop for one. Believe me they are worth any money you may spend on one but I have been well protected by the Windows Defender. I have never received any type of warning using the TXSZ site and I agree when Nick says it is clean.

Dano :D

Budman,

If you are running Windows, any version, Windows Defender can protect you from this happening. And the really neat part of Windows Defender is that it is free. There are a few other free firewalls out there so you just have to shop for one. Believe me they are worth any money you may spend on one but I have been well protected by the Windows Defender. I have never received any type of warning using the TXSZ site and I agree when Nick says it is clean.

Dano :D

I use ZoneAlarm on all my home computers. It's free. They do have a version with some extra bells and whistles that you can purchase, but I have found the freebie works just fine.

And, as I have mentioned in other threads, I do take the time to carefully screen all TXSZ registrations by hand for comment spammers and any malicious bots.

Nick

Nick, I use the Zone Alarm also right along with Windows Defender. Learned long ago that layered protection on computers pays off in the long run. I'm also sure Nick that your scrutiny of this site keeps it free of the spammers and dreaded viruses.....See you at the Enduro in March.

OK, what's popping up is WIN32.MATCASH.BP, WIN32/SECDROP.OF, WIN32/CLspringHJ, WIN32/ZQUEST.h

and WIN32/MATCASH.Z I've got my security settings pretty high, about a notch above "paranoid," so these could be reactions to cookie generators, but they're being id'd as viruses. So,

can somebody whose a lot sharper on these electronic dingus' tell me what it is I'm looking at? I have to say you folks got right on it, and I really appreciate the concern. Thanks.

OK, what's popping up is WIN32.MATCASH.BP, WIN32/SECDROP.OF, WIN32/CLspringHJ, WIN32/ZQUEST.h

and WIN32/MATCASH.Z I've got my security settings pretty high, about a notch above "paranoid," so these could be reactions to cookie generators, but they're being id'd as viruses. So,

can somebody whose a lot sharper on these electronic dingus' tell me what it is I'm looking at? I have to say you folks got right on it, and I really appreciate the concern. Thanks.

Sounds like your computer is infected with one, or more Trojans in the form of spyware. Unless I'm mistaken, you have the trojan called Matcash, and maybe a couple more. You will need to get that removed from your system ASAP.

Google the word Matcash and you will see many different tools to remove this and other spyware.

Nick

Yes, I use Ad-Aware and it is one of the best.

Nick

Downloaded from www.superantispyware.com this evening and ran the free version. Over 300 hits, mostly adware, but several trojans....cleaned 'em all up, so we'll see what happens. The att.yahoo anti-virus just wasn't hacking it, apparently. I may go ahead and buy the full version. Thanks again for the help.

Yes, I use Ad-Aware and it is one of the best.

Nick

Downloaded from www.superantispyware.com this evening and ran the free version. Over 300 hits, mostly adware, but several trojans....cleaned 'em all up, so we'll see what happens. The att.yahoo anti-virus just wasn't hacking it, apparently. I may go ahead and buy the full version. Thanks again for the help.

An excellent free Antivirus software is available thru AVG. I believe the website is www.grisoft.com where you can download the free program plus the site also has a free virus remover.

Thanks, Bobby, for the suggestions.

I am looking to change from Norton to something less bulky.

Nick

I had Norton and did not keep it for 2007. I bought Bit Defender instead. It's a good system but a little difficult for my computer illiterate mind to grasp. I think it would be great for someone that really understands the ins and outs of the electronic world.

another good program that kills trojans & viruses is Spybot Search and Destroy @ http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

Spybot S&D found a lot of trojans & viruses that Norton Internet Security missed.

Another good one is ParetoLogic Anti-Spyware @ http://www.paretologic.com/products/paretologicas/index.aspx They also have a lot of other software that is useful.

and last but not least, there is one called Spyware Doctor @ http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/

Archived