could it be

HiTech

WHEN I WAS GROWING UP .IT SEEMED LIKE EVERYONE KNEW OR WAS LEARNING HOW TO WORK ON CARS ..I COULD GO TO ANY NUMBER OF HOMES AND THERE WOULD BE A FATHER SHOWING HIS SON HOW TO TUNE OR BUILD A MOTOR REAR END AND WHAT NOTS ..EVEN AS MUCH AS TEN YEARS AGO SOME OF THIS WAS STILL GOING ON ... WHAT HAPPEND ............ FOR ONE ...PARENTS HAVE TO WORK 18 HOURS ADAY JUST TO MAKE ENDS MEET .. ELECTRONICS CAME INTO PLAY ...FUEL INJECTION .NO CARBS ... COMPUTOR CONTROL IGN YOU KNOW NO DISTRIBUTORS .. CRANK SENSORS ..MAP SENSORS KNOCK SENSORS ..CAM SENSORS . MAS AIR FLOW SENSORS O2 SENSORS . CHARGE TEMP SENSORS ..AIR TEMP SENSORS . EGR SENSOR.S AND ANY OTHER SENSOR THAT I HAVENT THOUGHT UP ...OH ANOTHER ONE ..BRAIN SENSORS THAT ONE WAS DESTROYED BY THE OTHER FORMENTION SENSORS ...PARENTS JUST DIDNT HAVE THE TIME AND OFCOURSE MONEY TO BUY EQUIPMENT TO KEEP THEM UP TO PAR ..SO THAT STRARTED THE DOWN TURN IN KIDS NOT HAVEING SOMEONE TO TEACH THEM AT HOME ...I SEE IT EVERY DAY AT WORK ..I GIVE IMFOW TO GROWN MEN I KNEW GROWING UP WHO USE TO HAVE THE TIME TO WORK ON THIER CARS . HECK SENSE I DONT MAKE A LIVEING AT AUTO SHOPS ANYMORE I AM WAY BEHIND ...IT HAS PASSED ME UP ...SO NOW I FEEL DUMB ...TECKNOLIGY HAS TAKEN THOSE DAYS AWAY FROM PARENTS ..AND ITS DOING IT EVERY DAY ..SOMETHING NEW COMES ALONG AND WA .LA . ANOTHER BRAIN SENSOR DIE.S ..WHY AM I TALKING ABOULT THIS .. THIS ALL HAS HAD AN EFFECT ON NEW BLOOD COMEING INTO RACEN ..KIDS DONT KNOW NOTHING ABOULT BUILDING A CAR ..THEY CANT EVEN WIELD ..OR FIGURE OUT HOW TO PUT A JACK UNDER THIER CAR AND WHERE ..THEY HAVE TO TAKE IT TO THE SHOP JUST TO FIND WHERE A MISFIRE IS .. IS IT A COIL ..A WIRE .A PLUG OR AN INJECTOR ..OR IS IT ONE OF THOSE DARN SENSORS I TALKED ABOULT BEFORE ..SO WHILE WE WONDER WHAT HAPPEN TO RACEN ..THINK ABOULT ALL OF THIS ...I LIVE THIS EVERYDAY AT WORK ...

oldtimer you are right. Now days we live in an "instant gratification society" if you want it you just buy it. Skilled labor has almost be come a thing of the past. You go to school and become an expert in one thing and thats what you do. Who is going to build the race cars of the future? Heck anybody notice an explosion in dirt racing lately.You can go buy a mod or a sport mod with all of the fabrication done already, all you do is bolt parts on it. There are lots of companys making these chassis. I bet only about 25 percent of those cars chassis were built from the ground up by the racers that race them. Who builds a TPS car or a bommer or hobby stock? The racers and crew have to build them. So who is going to build the car of the future, prolly a company.

Imfow and tecknoligy. Those are two of the best yet....lol

didnt have my dictionary handy ..besides i aint me when im correct ..budman you are correct .you would not believe who walks in our store that are ASE ..and dont know what they are doing ..and argue with me nicely on a subject ....i had a good laugh and more than once .when one time a ase certified what ever he wanted to call himself mechanic or teck .came into the store spent $748 .00 on the complete tbi system and fuel pump ..tune up parts .intake gasket and other parts for 1994 chevy truck ..the problem ..will not idle at times ..runs rough .sometimes ..black smokes .. stalls at red lights ........just plain wont run right ...now before i sold him those parts .i told him the things he was buying were not going to fix it ..waste of money ..he said i didnt know what i was talking aboult see.ing i sold parts ..so i sold him those parts ..good sell ..well one week later he still didnot have that truck running right ..and came back in and asked me what i thought it was ..lol the nerve ....after further thought .i decided to be nice and help him out and sold him a part under $20 .00 ... IN WHICH HE PUT ON THE TRUCK .and drove off happy ...im not picking on ase certified mechanic.s no way ...iam one myself ....or was ...now most would know what part it was ..but ill tell the ones who dont know ...temp sensor ........see what i meant aboult this thread ....

Hey oldtimer, It's called progress.

The equipment is different, but you still need

qualified technicians to carry out the work. We USED to be qualified,

but tecnology has passed us up.

Maybe us old folk don't know how to work on those new cars,

but there are many, many young men and women that

know how to manipulate these NEW breeds of cars.

Those are the people we NEED in this sport if we want it to survive.

You are correct. Not MANY kids know how to work on their own cars nowadays.

Same could be said about the "KIDS" when I was growin' up.

Only kids that WANT to learn about the workings of the new breed of cars, WILL.

They just need a reason to WANT to learn about working on cars.

That is where WE come in. If we take the time to TEACH, hopefully

they will take the time to LEARN.

That is just my opinion anyway. For what it's worth.

i put my tools away ten years ago ...cuz i got tired of turning wrenches ....i teach every day at . ....work .. old and young ..i dont like seing people spend money on a part that will not fix the problem ..at the same time ..i learn .they teach me ...sometimes that cost us a sell .but what the hey ..they thank me and keep comeing back ..sometimes they come back to much and take up some of my time to learn ..but its ok most of the time ...i love it ...

what you said is worth alot ...

One reason that kids don't learn to work on cars is that cars don't need working on as much as they did 30 years ago. My Chevy truck has 120,000 miles on it and I have only changed the oil, spark plugs, etc. No leaky carb , no valve adj. , no points & condensor etc. All these cars these days last a long time with little work needed. A friend of mine came by the shop today with his 72 Ranchero. Wouldn't run right. I looked under the hood, so many things could be messed up. Turned out to be a worn out dist.

I agree but I'm not sure how to fix it.. I saw this fifteen years ago in Taiwan, the company was hiring college graduates to be technicians on our tools and they were mostly helpless on anything mechanical. My take, while we were working on cars, all they had to tinker with were bicycles. Since then they have caught up quite well. Every street corner has a neighborhood scooter repair shop and everyone knows a lot more about how to fix things...

I see the new trend nowadays with these young people and their cars at the drag strip.They pull to the starting line and they have a laptop computer laying on the passengers seat,hooked up and lite up.I see the screens on em.Has a tach on it and several graphs. They program their cars using the laptop to change the fuel system,ignition,etc.They will set their car in increments.They start out hitting the throttle to 60ft,come back next pass and run it to the 300ft,then 660ft,then a 1000ft pass.Once they have all the data,they lock it in and make a full pass down the 1/4 mile.I've got a large group of young ones with Mitsibishi's that start out running 14's in the !/4 and after a few tweaks they are running hi to mid 11's sec passes,all from reprogramming the cars system.When they get ready to leave the track,they'll reset the system for normal driving.Where we used to work to make em fast,they buy expensive programs and hi dollar laptops.

and learn nothing on how to work on them ..ask most of them if they know how to rebuild a motor .put in a role cage ..wieght distribution .do a brake job . install a cv shaft ..hub bearing ..clutch ..... and just plain old know how to put plugs in .fuel filter .how much oil the car needs and what wieght .... ...85 percent will tell you no ..but i can push this button ..heck most cant even put a head light or tail light in thier cars ..they come and ask me to do it ...ill ask them if they built that 500 horse power motor they are so prould of ...nope . but it has 30psi of boost .plus my little bottle in the back gives me 200 more ..... .........................tps 48 the whole point is not how long the cars last ...... tommy take that lap top computor away .and see what happens ...so much for push button 11 seconds cars ...

I would say that the point is you dont HAVE to work on cars today to keep them going. When I got my liscence to drive I didnt have a new car to drive, the cars we drove back then had to be worked on all the time to keep going. While your working on it, might as well make it faster. Nowdays all you need, like Tommy sez, is a laptop.

ot,

this will really put a tweak in it. Now days even in the older cars and trucks instead of putting a nice 327 or 350 carb motor in them, they are putting a turbo/super charged motor in tem. Then like Tommy said they hook them up to the laptop and tweak them. It is crazy the number of LT1, LS1 & LS2 motor swaps my friends shop does. Heck I even saw a 4.3 turbo motor in a Mazda pick-up... These days the sky has no limits. Oh, they even did a Jag with a turboed LS1 in it, kept factory tranny and gauges...

Kiss,I've seen several Mazda RX7's that come to the track with LS1's stuffed in the engine compartment.Pretty quick lil street cars,good hp to weight ratio,the modern day sleeper.When I see one,it makes me thank of the old Opel GT,when some people put small blocks in em.

Tommy,

I know of a guy who is doing one as we speak. They are running theirs SCCA, which I always thought had to be stock displacement, but oh well. They were selling the stock motor to another guy I know who was going for 10's. He said he'd been 11.30's thus far and wanted another motor to play with on the side.

I think to date the best off norm car I've seen was a Triumph TR-3 that had a Blown 427 in it. If I recall(I was a kid then) it had a 2spd glide in it with a narrowed 9 inch... Probably the only other car I'd say was off norm was an Anglia(Sp?) I saw...

I know guys are doing Ford 302's in Miata's and 350Z motors in Datson B-210's, but that just doesn't do it for me...

Sorry ot, way off subject..... One almost has to be a tuner these days. I know my friends Dyno stays pretty busy. They have been contacted about AWD pulls, but since theirs is 2WD people have to go elsewhere. There was one AWD Jeep w/ a Hemi at the mile. Think it went like 145 or so????

That's another deal with the young foreign and domestic crowd,Dyno Days.Alot of the car clubs schedule these Dyno Days.They make arrangements with a shop that has a chassis dyno,set a price for so many pulls per car and spend Saturday and Sundays seeing who puts out the HP.I even considered getting a place,installing a dyno and catering to them,during the day, week nites and weekends with some technicans to help them get maximun results.

Tommy,

that's confirmation of what i had been telling them. we have done several dyno days including Diesels (ummm soot!) we have even started to have different vendors come in and do a vendor/dyno day. works out great, all the smack talking keyboard jockies get to be humbled when their numbers comeout...

I think for a shop to continue forward, they have to have creative ways of promoting their business...

ot,

one of my neighbors was trying to rebuild a 500cfm carb off his Dodge truck the other day. In taking it apart he misplaced a pin, he called Holley, the guy was nice and all; said oh my those are obsolete. Ran into my neighbor yesterday and UPS nad just dropped off his package with the pin in it from Holley.

Not many young ones these days know how to rebuild a carb, it is just another one of those dying breed things....

Archived