The ASA Name Saga Continues

debwill

I got a copy of this press release yesterday:

To: All ASA Late Model Teams and Members

Subject: Response to ASA Lawsuit.

Date: Tuesday December 4, 2007

It is unfortunate that Mr. Huth decided to air his dirty laundry in public, which has made me respond in kind to his actions. We ASA Late Model Series feel Mr. Huth's Lawsuit is frivolous and without merit.

We fully expect to win in court and also counter sue Mr. Huth for damages caused by his reckless and slanderous allegations.

While this news maybe upsetting to some let me assure everyone that Mr. Huth and his associates cannot take our name (ASA Late Model Series) nor our business (ASA Late Model Series LLC) away from us.

We in fact, are pursuing facts related to Mr. Huth's claims of ownership to all things ASA including the American Speed Association.

We plan to present evidence that will show Steve Dale never fulfilled his contract to purchase the American Speed Association from Rex Robbins and that several judgments have been placed against Steve Dale relating to such.

The ASA Late Model Series LLC was formed by Steve Dale and Ron Varney as a separate business and was not nor was ever a part of the American Speed Association.

So once again Mr. Huth's claims of ownership of the trademark are without merit. Mr' Huth may have a bigger problem on his hands trying to defend his purchase of a company from Steve Dale that Mr. Dale never paid for.

If you should have any further questions or comments please feel to contact me personally.

Sincerely,

Ron Varney

President

ASA Late Model Series

Presented by GM Performance Parts

Here's a link that explains both sides of this story in their own words...

http://www.speed51.com/2007_stories/Specia...eases_12_5.html

Nick

There have been questions posted on this site in the past about the differences and the relationship between the ASA track sanctioning group and the ASA Late Model series. The link posted by Nick does a pretty good job or sorting it out in brief...for now anyway.

PAPosse,

I'll give you an example that may help you better understand the difference between the two organizations - on a local level.

Thunderhill Raceway and Houston Motorsports Park are ASA Member tracks - part of Huth's organization. Part of being a member track includes insurance coverage. Mary Ann or Graham could probably add more information on the benefits, etc., of being an ASA member track.

The ASA Late Model Series (ASA LMS) - Varney's organization - has three classes of a Late Model touring series (Challenge, North and South) that race at tracks all over the country. The ASA LMS raced at San Antonio Speedway several times prior to the closure of SAS.

I'm sure many of you could add more details about the two organizations, but I've tried to differentiate them in a simple manner. I hope these examples help you better understand the difference.

PAPosse,

I'll give you an example that may help you better understand the difference between the two organizations - on a local level.

Thunderhill Raceway and Houston Motorsports Park are ASA Member tracks - part of Huth's organization. Part of being a member track includes insurance coverage. Mary Ann or Graham could probably add more information on the benefits, etc., of being an ASA member track.

The ASA Late Model Series (ASA LMS) - Varney's organization - has three classes of a Late Model touring series (Challenge, North and South) that race at tracks all over the country. The ASA LMS raced at San Antonio Speedway several times prior to the closure of SAS.

I'm sure many of you could add more details about the two organizations, but I've tried to differentiate them in a simple manner. I hope these examples help you better understand the difference.

Thanks Deb - after living out on the west coast for so long I fell out of touch with the late models, especially asphalt. So, the Late Model organization isn't afffiliated with the old ASA in anyway? I was under the impression that the old ASA was bought out by the current owners....

And Huth promotes the tracks, basically - and that has nothing to do with the old ASA or current series....

right. :unsure:

Archived