hi guys

TXSSM68

hi guys. nice site ya'll have here, i am intrigued by it.my late father did some racing back in the 60s early 70s. abilene, when it was paved, odessa, san angelo, and san antonio. i do not know the names of the tracks. he raced with andy tarr, jimmy johnson, clyde fletcher, larry yacona, bill goliher. i remember that we lived in abilene and he raced in dallas, i think savage bowl, they used to bring the cars in on a transporter...6-8 cars on one trailer. ive included a pic to see if anyone may know of him. or any of the drivers i mentioned. his name was hubert franklin. he drove e-3 in abilene also. his mechanic was george malone

[resized by Nick Holt, 12/03/07]

post-3-1196739590_thumb.jpg

Glad to have you here.

Your father probably also raced with Leroy Brooks, Marv Fillip, J.E. "Red" Skelton, and

several others that have been mentioned here. I remember 'Wild" Bill Gollihar; if noise and busted engines won races, he'd of been undefeated!

Abilene went dirt about 1982, The San Antonio track would have been the Pan American Speedway on Toepperwein Road.

And the track in Dallas was "Salvage Speedway" and was located just South of where Wilmer-Hutchins High School is currently located, off Fulghum Road . It was closed by the mid to late 70's.

TXSSM68,

From that era, from that area, I remember Wayne Niedecken, Robert Polk, Clyde and Charles Johnson,

Bubba Cowan and Marvin Fillip. Remember any of them? Maybe I'll think of a couple more later. I wish we could get more old stuff on here from the Abilene, San Angelo and Midland/Odessa areas, along with Lubbock and Amarillo areas. That's something we've had precious little input on here up to now.

I also wish we could get some old stuff out of Dallas. Anybody know a site where some of that stuff is? There's got to be tons of stuff out there that has yet to make it to the internet.

hey budman,

my mom says niedecken sounds familiar, i know clyde johnson does. i would love to find someone from that era and area who may have more pics than me. moving and fires and floods have all but wiped out my pictorial collection from the days of old.

Yep, in 1962 that was pretty much a "State of the Art" rig for short track racing. They had advanced from tow bars to trailers. Notice the screen in front of the radiator. That car would often be run on pavement one night and dirt the next.

Buddy,

1963 was along time ago, but I did attend the first Liberty Bell 300 Super Modified Car race at Houston's Meyer Speedway on July 4th of that year. The Super Modified Car/Super Modified Stock Car # 99 pictured appears to me to be the same car driven in that race by Wayne Niedecken. My memory is that the race was won by Clyde Johnson, also from the Abilene area in a somewhat similar looking Super Modified Stock Car. I don't remember all the details, but Bill White was very fast in a roll caged Sprint Car and had a huge lead when the car suffered mechanical failure. A lot of faster cars did not finish and Clyde Johnson ran a very steady pace with minimal pit stops. In subsequent years, the cars leaned more to the Winged Super Modified Cars and Winged Sprint Cars. A few wild creations as well, with rear-engine and mid-engine cars.

hey budman,

my mom says niedecken sounds familiar, i know clyde johnson does. i would love to find someone from that era and area who may have more pics than me. moving and fires and floods have all but wiped out my pictorial collection from the days of old.

The Liberty Bell 300 was one of the best races every year. Alot of very good out of town super modifieds plus the several local cars made this a great race.I believe Wayne Niedecken had moved to Pensacola,Florida at this time. Clyde Johnson came from Abilene, Ivan Cooper from Jackson,Mississippi, Armond Holley from Mobile,Alabama,Rat Lane from Pensacola,Florida,Bill White from Temple,Gordon Wooley from Waco and many more I can't remember. I know on the local side, Charlie Schilds, M.J.Burton,Billy Perran,Sonny Upton,Ronnie Chumley,Billy Griswold,Bill Blumrick,Lee Cade, and many more.You could have a Texas Hall of Fame just from the drivers from MeyerSpeedway.

Archived