SNOWBALL DERBY - Sunday, December 2

debwill

Here are some pictures from this morning:

After an impressive 5th place finish in the Snowflake 100 yesterday, Jason Young (#27) will start in the 19th position in today's Snowball Derby. Jason (steering the car) and his crew headed to the Tech area:

post-29-1196622594_thumb.jpg

Ryan Lawler (#31) will start the Snowball Derby in the 23rd position.

post-29-1196623022_thumb.jpg

Austin's Casey Smith (#99S) will start the Derby in the 29th position.

post-29-1196623099_thumb.jpg

I spotted these Texas fans in the pits - TXSZ's txtom (Tom Taylor), 1977 Hi-Way 16 Raceway (SAS) Limited Sportsman Champion Steve Klestinec,and Tom Taylor, Sr.

post-29-1196623186_thumb.jpg

Augie Grill takes the checkered flag in the 40th Annial Snowball Derby. Matt Hawkins cross the line second with Jeff Fultz third. Eddie Mercer and Clay Rogers rounding out the top five

1.#112 Augie Grill

2.#22 Matt Hawkins

3.#67 Jeff Fultz

4.#72 Eddie Mercer

5.#2 Clay Rogers

6.#38 Josh Hamner

7.#47 Brian Campbell

8.#70 Ryan Foster

9.#72H Scott Hantz

10.#92 Jeff Choquette

11.#31 Ryan Lawler

12.#17 Chris Gabehart

13.#82 Grant Enfinger

14.#14 Ken McFarland

15.#86 Mike Fritts

16.#54 Johnny Clark

17.#73 Korey Ruble

18.#12 Justin Drawdy

19.#44 Gary Helton

20.#24 J.R. Roahrig

21.#99L David Little

22.#27 Jason Young

23.#81 Roger Reuse

24.#30 Dave Mader III

25.#48 Cecil Chunn

26.#1 Tim Martin

27.#18 Hunter Robbins

28.#99s Casey Smith

29.#84 Wayne Anderson

30.#10 Ryan Crane

31.#21 Scott Carlson

32.#83 Cale Gale

33.#8 Cassius Clark

34.#91 Heath Hindman

35.#11 Donald Long

36.#39 Ryan Sieg

37.#98 Bill Tutchtone II

38.#7 Gary St. Amant

39.#5 Bobby Grill

Over 10,000 fans were treated to some of the most exciting racing action in the country in the Snowball Derby as 39 Super Late Models took to the high banks at Five Flags Speedway today. The weather was perfect - cloudy skies and comfortable temperature.

post-29-1196653891_thumb.jpg

Here's a brief recap on the Texas drivers in the 300-lap Snowball Derby:

On Lap 9, Casey Smith was involved in an incident between Turns 1 and 2. He sustained front end damage to his car and went behind the wall to repair the damages, including the replacement of his radiator and removal of sheet metal. He lost about 50 laps while his team repaired his car. Casey Smith finished the race in the 28th position.

post-29-1196653978_thumb.jpg

By Lap 68, Jason Young had advanced to the 15th position, and Ryan Lawler followed him by two positions (17th). On Lap 84, Young tangled with Tim Martin. With extensive front-end damage, Young headed to the pits for repairs. After losing 25-26 laps, Young rejoined the race. Young finished the race in the 22nd position.

Upon re-entering the track, both of the cars driven by Smith (first picture) and Young (second picture) looking more like Modifieds than Super Late Models with the missing front-end body parts:

post-29-1196654033_thumb.jpg

post-29-1196654083_thumb.jpg

Ryan Lawler manage to steer clear of any incidents on the track and continued to advance through the field while remaining on the lead lap. Lawler claimed an impressive 11th place finish in the Derby without incurring any major damages to his car.

post-29-1196654182_thumb.jpg

Wow! I haven't been to Five Flags since 1997 - looks like they added some seating in the first turn and that crowd is HUGE! I used to sit in the top row just before the start/finish line (in the concrete stands if they are still there)

pap,

The stands in turn one are temps and the stands are still concrete. or they were in 2005 when I went. But I can tell that the temporary stands are the same green ones they brought in 2 years ago.

Wow! I haven't been to Five Flags since 1997 - looks like they added some seating in the first turn and that crowd is HUGE! I used to sit in the top row just before the start/finish line (in the concrete stands if they are still there)

The original concrete stands are there.

Temporary bleachers are brought in each year and placed in turns 1 and 2, and also off turn 4.

And the place was PACKED, largest crowd I have ever witnessed at Pensacola. They were all the way down to the cinderblocks at the bottom of the cement stands.

There's a story that goes with the shiny air cleaner. Apparently, Jason got hungry during the Derby. Since he was already down quite a few laps, he decided to pit at the same time as the cars on the lead lap . . . and requested that his crew bring him a cookie. To make the pit stop look somewhat official, one of his crew members shined up his air cleaner during the stop.

After the races, a little girl walked up to Jason and asked him if he had enjoyed his cookie during the race. She had overheard Jason's conversation on her scanner.

Archived