CC Speedway

RETrott

ratdaddy what year was it your dad move the pits over to three and four .93 .94or 95 ..i know one thing it was not much fun parking on agnes waiting to get in ..... i miss those old pits some .. they would not holed enough racecars ...only thing that was good aboult the old pits ..you could watch the cars being worked on ..from the stands ..

The pit area was turn 1 but they had a back straight away gate that would open to let cars onto the track. turn 1 was to let them off.

they had to stop useing that gate ..rick rapp ..jonh gun and some others were going over that gate and wall .so it was to dangerous ..

1992, and the entrance to the track was built at that time as well. Back in the old, old, old, old days, (oldtimer will back me up on this) where the pit road entrance is along the stands, there used to be wooden bleachers there and spectators could literally sit right against the fence along the front straight. The coolest thing about the way it is now, is seeing all those kids lined up along the fence waving at the drivers and talking to them as they are waiting to go out on the track.

1992, and the entrance to the track was built at that time as well. Back in the old, old, old, old days, (oldtimer will back me up on this) where the pit road entrance is along the stands, there used to be wooden bleachers there and spectators could literally sit right against the fence along the front straight. The coolest thing about the way it is now, is seeing all those kids lined up along the fence waving at the drivers and talking to them as they are waiting to go out on the track.

your correct ratdaddy ..i have a couple of old pic.s that show some of the things we are talking aboult .ill post later ....remember the lighting at that time ...darn hard to see .. some say its hard to see now ... boy they aint seen nutten ... the lighting and wireing were so bad sometimes the lights would go out in the middle of a race ..... it was so bad when they tore down terry labontes motor we had to push the car out onto the track under that one lightbulb that walter used to light up the flag for the drivers to see ........ ah ha the good old days ....sure glad don and carrol came along and made those fine changes ...i know that cost a ton of money ..young drivers have no ideal how good they have it at cc with those changes ..

I remember years back when Terry was doing an interview and he was talking about CCS and he had made the comment that back in the day it was like running a race under 20 watt light bulbs.....but I had always thought they had switch to 75watts by the time Terry had come around :D

Thanks, I was beginning to think my memory had flip flopped. But, I was only there in '66.

i was there in 66 ..where were you sitting ..lol

That is what made me wonder about the pit area location, because I was in the pits but when possible/feasable watched the racing from the front straightaway grandstand near turn 1. I was there in October after the '66 regular season ended in Houston/Meyer Speedway. I remember 3 Houston "Bronco" Stock Cars running that night. I definitely remember the lighting, and after the feature I walked towards turn 4 and the looked towards turn 1. I don't think I could see past the green/yellow/red lights on the flag stand. Also, the wall/guardrail resembled a RR track in places.

I remember years back when Terry was doing an interview and he was talking about CCS and he had made the comment that back in the day it was like running a race under 20 watt light bulbs.....but I had always thought they had switch to 75watts by the time Terry had come around :D

75 walt light bulb ..nah the whole track would have burnt down ..may have been some help if they would have sent someone around cleaning the light bulbs, i dont remember there were that many ...old frank bless is sole couldnt see his way in spending the money for some better lights ... after richard petty had that bad fence trick wreck like your .s frank was worried when he was told by k&k .he would have to raze the front fence up to 12 feet from where it was ..said the track could not afford it ..so i put a little bird in his ear and told him why take the old fence down ..just add to it ...we went over to tips with robert driggers and i overheard him saying to some others .i have this great ideal ..im going to just add some fence to what i have .. what do yah think ....lol he was good at that ..

Archived