I-10 Closed between Lafayette and Baton Rouge

SVCMNGR1

A gas well fire has Interstate 10 closed until Dec 4th. I would not recomend taking 90 to New Orleans. Quite a few stops, speed traps and bad roads.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/11634016....index=1&c=y

The Advocate

A gas well fire has Interstate 10 closed until Dec 4th. I would not recomend taking 90 to New Orleans. Quite a few stops, speed traps and bad roads.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/11634016....index=1&c=y

The Advocate

I grew up in Morgan City, LA off of 90 south of Lafayette. I can tell you that between Lafayette and Houma, the number of speedtraps have almost become non-existent. The only thing to beware on the holidays are the local sheriffs departments looking for a bit of extra revenue.

Now between Houma and New Orleans I don't know what the condition is but I sent an email to an old friend who makes that trip frequently. I'll report back when I know.

Between Lafayette and Morgan City the road are kind of eh, hit or miss, but not too bad. Between Morgan City and Houma is straight stretches of elevated highway, and fresh asphalt. Just be careful if its wet when you hit the asphalt. None of the roads are any worst than I-10 between baytown and vidor used to be, but i'm not saying they are a whole lot better either.

Yeah, about those raised portions of highway. They are 55 mph for trucks and 60 for all other vehicles. I recently got a ticket for 81 MPH. The Sherriff was in an area where the X-band alert was continiously going off, I turned the seeing eye dog down and SURPRISE! There he was with his laser gun in hand waving me over. Just be careful if you take that route.

Thanks for the heads-up. Crap! That bites. :angry:

What about 49 to 190 to 12? Looks like the best option to me. How many lanes is 190?

Typical Louisianna!

Danny

I just talked to a friend that went that way. It is 2 lane (one lane each way) for most of the trip, but the road is decent. Depending on the time of day you may experience some traffic delays. They have the detour signs well placed so you shouldn't get lost. I heard they are still looking at Dec 4 before re-opening I-10, but you can call 1-800-469-4828 to verify before you leave. They can also advise of traffic conditions. If you are unfortunate enough to get close up and personal with one of Louisiana's finest, the appropriate responses are still yes sir and no sir. Coonass, headsucker and swamp rat will get you a BCS and a canine unit going through your stuff.

could anybody that has any info on i 10 to snowball post any new stuff, if i hear anything i post, yeepee....going to the derby,,,,,,,,,,, waddy :D:D

Hey Waddy, I'm heading back to the Big Sleazy Sunday morning. I'll let y'all know what to expect Sunday night. Looks like a cold one going back, Dang heater core went bad and I have it by passed. BRRRRR

Rusty,

They are routing everyone off (Eastbound) at I-49 in Lafayette, sending them North to Opelousas, (about 25 miles) to Hwy 190 east. When you are on 190, close to Baton Rouge, if you can get off, Take Hwy 415 south on the west side of Baton Rouge; It goes back to I-10, and gets you over to the Hammond bypass (I-12) without going through Baton Rouge itself.

If they don't let you go Hwy 415, 190 east will go through Baton Rouge and cross the Hammond bypass.

Heading back, they are diverting traffic at the same Hwy 415, to 190 west, to I-49 south and back to I-10.

I-10 is now open in both directions. It opened late last night according to the local news here in New Orleans. I must have been one of the last lucky ones to take the detour. Good luck to all heading over for the race.

Archived