Where should we reach to find new blood?

abrungot

With the ever pressing topic of if the stands don't grow!!!

Where should the people in racing reach out to find fresh blood.

We need to draw people into this sport from outside the "Circle" If a track has $ to spend on building the stands.. Where should they reach..

From my view this is a race against time...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

us racers should get togarther and show the cars around town (like aurthur in houston does). maybe we can all put the tracks name on the side of the cars like abouve the number so when people see us going to the track they will know were we are going as we pull to the track. alot of people don't know there is a track in kyle and have less of a knowledge of were the cars they see on the trailers.

yes arron i forgot you had that but that is exactly what I meant. but how many cars other than yours have that?

there will be thr decals on my 2 cars next year.

It would of ben great I think it was last weakend that campinworld in g town had a jeff gordon simalator out ther could of had some cars out there. . as long as my car is in one peice i can display it anywhere . the bad thing with me being out in killeen. people think the car is for the dirt track out here. we need to get the cars out and dispay them.

yes arron i forgot you had that but that is exactly what I meant. but how many cars other than yours have that?

there will be thr decals on my 2 cars next year.

It would of ben great I think it was last weakend that campinworld in g town had a jeff gordon simalator out ther could of had some cars out there. . as long as my car is in one peice i can display it anywhere . the bad thing with me being out in killeen. people think the car is for the dirt track out here. we need to get the cars out and dispay them.

Thats because the car collects more dirt than asphalt :lol: . just joking. actually its a good thing to have the decals on both cars that way at least one will be seen at the track. :lol::lol:

Arthur helped HMP turn it around with his displays no doubt.John also brought some fresh ideas to upper management.Whatever the reason, the stands were full the last few races. :o

I think it took a lil more than Arthur and his displays. to get the stands full at hmp. like free adm to grand stands and then the discount tickets and cheap conc. not saying he did not do a great job just saying there was more to it then just showing off the cars. but that is a start

Arthur helped HMP turn it around with his displays no doubt.John also brought some fresh ideas to upper management.Whatever the reason, the stands were full the last few races. :o

I think it took a lil more than Arthur and his displays. to get the stands full at hmp. like free adm to grand stands and then the discount tickets and cheap conc. not saying he did not do a great job just saying there was more to it then just showing off the cars. but that is a start

I give John credit in the management department!!! :P

as I try to get the dirt of of my blood ;) one think I know that we did at killeen is that we would get a coulpe different car together and put them in parades and things of that nature. alot of people would call local sports talk radio showes and while talking to the host they would work the name of the track into the call. saying things like "well out at texas thunder we ...". seemed to work because people I worked with that knew i raced would tell me they heard it. plus it would be cool if mary ann could get on the radio or tv to talk about the track. I wish that they local tv stations would pay more attension to our LOCAL sport like they do for high school football and professional sports.

cheaper admission........evrybody always asks and then somebody makes <---this suggestion,,,,,,,but then it never happens.

john ain't no rocket scientist,,,,,,,,,it's a logical approach.

i BEG guys at work to come out when we are racing. i usually have them pretty committed (UNTIL) when they hear the price of admission they laugh me off. casual conversation with strangers at restuarants etc. same deal. WE are overpriced for theactual ammount of entertainment we are offering.

that and the fact that the general public thinks we are all white trash , knuckle dragging wife beaters.

I know I've mentioned this before on here, but has ANYBODY ever done a car showing at one of the local businesses down around the campus in San Marcos? That's what I'd suggest. Hand out some comp passes, and just talk to anybody who stops by to look and listen.

Dang, theres 27000 students on that campus. You'd think we could attract at least a few of them. If they liked the show, I bet they'd bring some friends the next time. Shoot, they're only 5 minutes from the track.

Here is one for nick, What is wrong with TXSZ attracting the "import crowd" Give them their own forum, and let them go at it...

Or the mustang clubs.> BIG Time..

CHEVY club...

I went out to look at the top forums on the WWW and well... Houston imports has nearly 36,000 members and right now there are 500 viewing...

Sounds like a TPS playground!!

Key here is new blood.....

Especially the younger 20's generation... they are the key to the future...

Buddy, How do you make local racing attactive to those 27,000 Students...

Typical marketing stats say we can get about 7 of them to the track... each week serously if you touch each student..

.025% will catch & Act on the marketing and Show up to THR (7 students)..

Someone like Dell Plans .036% but we are all aware THR doesn't have the Brand Awareness like Dell..

If you look at paying the lease alone $130,000 for the year.. (Per Mary Ann @ drivers meeting)

Below is what we would have to have paying at the front gate:

Another thing that i am looking at is the Greensheets classifieds.. 51K pick up the paper each week..

With the same stats as above That would be 13 people, Or $158 Gate revenue for $110 Ad expense ROI 44% or Fair..

post-719-1195437552_thumb.jpg

I was just reading my latest Stock Car Racing magazine, there's an article on Bowman Gray Stadium. The stadium will hold 17,000 spectators and was near capacity for all local shows. Admission is $10.00 per person, children under 12 are $1.00, with occasional ladies nights where ladies get in for $1.00. But then again, it is a flat quarter mile and they don't send anyone to the rear for spinning someone.

You guys are right, what I did was not what got people in the stands. It was a combination of all the guys that helped me, John and Grahm with all the promotions, The Chronicle, and so on. All I did was to spark a little interest, and I do mean a little. If everyone does it once per year, you would have over 100 showings. The track was generous enough to give me give away tickets, full color flyers with pics of our cars, and the schedule and a map on the back. I also have HMP stickers on the side, and a large one on the hood. This next week, we are showing some cars at the Autorama, and John has printed me a bunch of flyers to give out with next years schedule. We will continue to do this next year, as I feel it did help a bit to get the word out. I hink that the free nights, dollar beer nights, and MDA donation was thinking outside of the box to renew interest in Auto racing in the Houston area. John has done what J and S said they were going to do. We know J and S screwed us all, but John stepped up and turned it around so that we could have a place to race. thank you John for what you have done. And thank you Aaron for getting started early thinking about next year for THR. It takes dedicated people like yourself to help the track survive. If you lead, peolpe will follow. Sometimes it gets frustrating when people back out, but keep trying to get things going.

P.S. if anyone wants to get started on next season for HMP, give me a call. 281-541-1301

Enclosed trailers are hurting the local racing. If all of the cars were going down I-35 on open trailers, there would be a lot more local people that knew about the track. With the cars being inside trailers, the local people do not see all of the cars and therefore less people know about the track. I drove for a car owner that refused to buy an enclosed trailer because he said they would kill the sport. That was 10 years ago and I laughed at him and his thinking. Now I know he was right.

I can remember many, many years ago, I was in a strange town. We had stopped at a resturant to eat before going to the races. We didn't know exactly where the track was. As we were pulling out of the parking lot, along came a truck pulling a sprint car on a open trailer. We literally followed that sprint car for miles, right to the track.

Enclosed trailers are hurting the local racing. If all of the cars were going down I-35 on open trailers, there would be a lot more local people that knew about the track.
Ditto and take it to work with you every once in awhile and sit in the Austin traffic, LOL Lot of good ideas coming from this thread, thanks! This is your track too! We gotta work together to keep it together.

Budman,on a regular Sat nite,a handful.But special events and big shows are totally different.Just last week at our monthly Midnite Madness street nite we had our largest spectator crowd in recent memory for this event.I believe part of the draw that nite,besides having over 300+ street cars grudge racing and each of those bringing all their friends to watch, we had the Texas Pro Stock Association as part of the show and alot of people came out for the Pro cars.Another draw for the Madness Nite is the cost,for $10 you can watch or race.And let me tell you,they don't call it Madness for nothing.

Archived