ATTENTION: Racing Family

I was just informed that one of our own is fighting an uphill battle. Richard Tyra, #89 Allison Legacy driver, has been involved in a serious motorcycle accident and is in Memorial Herman Downtown Hospital in Houston. He apparently has already undergone 3 surgeries and many more to come! The details of the accident are sketchy, so I will stick with the facts. He has broken both ankles, both legs and i believe a shattered kneecap. He has had skin, and muscle grafting to date. There are more injuries that I still am waiting confirmation on. His condition, I believe is stable, but that says nothing about the pain he is in!! He will more than likely be in the hospital at least another month or so, undergo numerous more surgeries, and require 3 or so more months to try and recover and get back on his feet. He will need ALL of our thoughts and prayers to win this battle!

I will keep you posted with what informaiton comes my way...

Kathie Weir

I visited with Richard at the Hospital this evening. He is one tough old bird! His spirit was really good even though he is really banged up. Its going to be a while before he will be able to saddle up and run the #89 Legacy.

The accident was on the interstate I-45 and happened with merging traffic.

He has had some significant surgery, the most significant is the transplant of a muscle from his left arm to his right ancle. The road to recovery is going to be a long and painful one. The great news is that at this point his injuries are not life threatening. He still has a couple of more surgeries to get through, but it looks like he will be ok at this point. He is very lucky to still be here!!! and he said had he not had his helmet on he wouldn't be here.

Jay Carley

• 4 weeks later...

Archived