Danica Patrick

Budman

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She really should modify her exercise program to include lifting wieghts, I suggest she do fly's

Also, if she adds swimming, I suggest she use the butterfly stroke.

That way we can target the area we want to build up B)

ARE YOU TALKING ABOULT FLOATATION DEVICES ........

:o:wacko: now thats better :D

just to clear the air is not that i completely dislike danica. i believe she gets way no much talk when there are better people (like the force sisters) out there. but you only hear about danica.

i am not going insane we have had this discussion before :D

http://txsz.com/forums/index.php?showtopic...9&hl=danica

Nathan-

Danica gets so much press because the IndyCar folks work at it, and she gets more press than the ChampCar drivers as well. It's arguable that the NHRA just doesn't know how to do this quite as well (this is the group that once used "The Cars are the Stars" as a slogan), but they also have the Indianapolis 500, which makes getting press a bit easier, particularly if Danica runs well, and she has.

Maybe the ChampCar folks don't want to draw too much attention to themselves until Sebastian Bordais goes back to Europe. After all, a driver who wasn't good enough for Formula 1 has just taken his fourth consecutive ChampCar title, including the first one his rookie year.

I don't know that Danica gets more press than she deserves (she's a story on many levels, and they work at getting the press, so that gets attention), but I'll agree there are other drivers out there, male and female, who also deserve attention.

The problem is that too many racers don't understand how the media works, and expect the sports guys to come looking for them. It doesn't work that way. Someone has to tell the sports guys what's going on, and why they should care.

The first time I showed up to do something about quarter midgets, one mother immediately said, "Well, don't write anything about Casey Smith. He gets too much attention." The problem was that the only reason I knew about quarter midgets in Central Texas, let alone about Casey Smith, was because Kathy Smith was sending information to the media, and not just about Casey. However, Casey was, and is, a winner, so he got more attention.

Too many racers want press when they have done nothing to let the media know they exist. Some tracks and series have the same problem: they're waiting for the press to come find them. Ain't gonna happen.

Sports, racing or otherwise, is about people, and about other people caring how those people do in the race, game, track meet, whatever. But anyone who has, and has had, John Force in their game and still thinks "the cars are the stars" just doesn't get it. At least IndyCar and Danica's people get it. (NASCAR gets it big time, but they are in position to let the sponsors make heroes out of the drivers.

Unfortunately, they are the only ones who enjoy that luxury.

(But you're also right: Ashley Force is much better looking.)

It's not that they don't get it TQ.Ashley is "not" the only woman drag racing as a professional.Plus drag racing doesnt play the gender card.When Shirley Muldowney came about,sure they played the man vs women,the men didnt want her in the sport in the early years,but times have changed.Nowadays,at National events and special events,you have many,many women drag racing,everything from jet dragsters,the nitro classes,pro stocks,pro bikes,all the way down the ladder.I see your point TQ,but in the sport of drag racing,women drivers are plentiful.Just like Angelle Sampey,the winningest female driver in NHRA history with 41 national wins in 66 finals round appearances in a class dominated by males.

Tommy-

You're right, and you're wrong. Drag racing is pretty much gender blind. They're also pretty much color blind, and they don't make a big deal out of that, either. Three women in the top eight in the final NHRA Pro Bike championship and Melanie Troxel ninth in Top Fuel says a lot.

NASCAR is trying like mad to find a black driver and they'd love to have a Danica or Ashley out there as well, but that's because they keep getting beat up about being a racist sport because no black drivers with talent have been racing long enough.

Of course, everyone complains that drivers with no talent are getting attention and help, and some of those drivers are black, hispanic or female. But NASCAR has no choice. To a lesser extent, neither does any other form of racing; we're all getting bad-rapped on this issue by people who just don't know what it takes to be successful in racing.

My point is that drag racing NEEDS to beat the drum about Karen Stoffer, Angelle Sampey, Antron Brown, the Pedragon brothers, Scotty Cannon (I throw him in because he's apparently a Martian), Ashley Force, Tom Hammonds, Hector Arana, Redell Williams, Peggy Llewellyn, Michael Phillips, Connie Cohen, Hillary Will, Troxel and whoever I've left out.

Why? Because we in racing know who the players are, but the general public judges us by the media, and we need to reach the general public because many of them would be fans if we did, and we need a bigger fan base. (Even NASCAR, which is losing fans.)

NHRA no longer promotes cars and bikes; they, too, promote the people in the cars and on the bikes. So should we all.

Well, this thread has now about run its course. The thread is not about Danica Patrick .......... that was just put there to get your attention .............. (over 2 thousand hits on this thread) .......... All that Danica stuff was just for FLUFF, and to make my point.

Now, go back and read my two original posts on this thread. It is about local tracks making the most of the opportunity to promote themselves and their female drivers when the opportunity presents itself! ;)

Archived