Danica Patrick

Budman

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She went to Europe by herself at 16 and raced in the toughest training ground in motorsports, the small formual series in England. At 18, she matched the best finish ever by an American driver in the Formula Ford Festival at Brands Hatch (Danny Sullivan, second), a race that boasts more Formula 1 drivers, crew and team owners in the paddock than any race other than a Formula 1 race.

Since then, she's posted the highest finish by a woman at Indy, and has a record equal to or better than many men with the same amount of time in an IndyCar.

Spoiled? Damn, boys, I can give you a whole roster of NASCAR stars who better fit that description.

"Danica Patrick" ...................... the name attracts attention like no other in racing these days. Watch the number of hits on this thread in the hours and days to come.

No O/T, no posters on my wall. :D

Thanks guys for your comments on this thread. My post DOES have a point. I think the scenerio is set for a win in '08. I think she has the car, the crew, the team, the experience, the skill and the will to pull it off.

NOW TO THE POINT:

When it happens there will be a new spike in Danicamania. The win will attract a huge amount of media attention. But, like most other news stories, interest will be very fleeting.

Local tracks and their PR people need to be able to seize that moment in time to take full advantage of it. Local print and broadcast media will be hungry for material about female drivers, even at our local tracks. The media these days must be spoon fed, however. Tracks need to prepare now for that day, with pics, video, bios, stats and whatever other material they can come up with and have it readily available to hand over to the media types when it happens.

All this to promote the track and its female drivers to take advantage of the rare opportunity to expand their fan base into the large untapped female portion of the population out there!

i think that is putting unfavorable and unfair pressure on the female drivers........maybe that is what the media wants , but what about the drivers at the local ranks that you are asking to live up to and into another persons backdrop....i wouldn't want the pressure.

i think of them as 'just another racer'.......let their racing sale tickets , not their gender.

but i do agree,,,,,if you gotta have a crush , you picked a good one buddy.

'Horse, we use whatever we have to promote the sport. We've done stories on Teresa Gural, Tracy Tschoerner and Charlie Turner as well as mentioning some of our other female drivers (Marcia Moore, Kris Wilson, Kelly Earnhardt) when we have the chance.

Unfair to put pressure on them? Yep. But, as John Kennedy said, "Life isn't fair." And he should know...

i guess that's what i'm saying ,,,,,her temper issue and instability to stay focused when shtuff starts going wrong is prolly fueled more by the unfair pressure put on her more than it is her basic competitive nature.

i think without the added pressure she would have won last year,,,,,,same can be said of dale jr. .

i know if it makes a story 'run with it' but i think the bigger story would be her winning and that has to be near to impossible when everything you do is looked at through a microscope and disected.

i think without the added pressure she would have won last year,,,,,,same can be said of dale jr. .

Well said...its hard to be as good as your father when you are not near as good as he was! They both have way more pressure than they can handle and don't deserve it. JMO

Archived