IMCA

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going IMCA sanctioned will cost money.Both the track and the drivers.If you all have the extra money than great.The entry level classes may find it difficult.License,sticker parts,special equipment,etc.iT SEEMS TO ME THAT IF A REGULAR NITE WITH 90+ cars and full stands does not make profit how can spending more help?Is there going to be that many new teams and sponsors?Do you want to spend an additional 1 to 2 houes for payouts while sanctioned teck is going on?How will each team,especially the small budget teams benifit from this?Everybody is always waiting for that magical bunch of new cars at every track Ive raced at but I have never seen them.Be careful,this sanction could end up makind STS a private playground for the "haves only"If theres enough of you then thats good.If not better ask the "have nots"if you want to keep them.I dont know for sure but I bet 100$ that RGS will never go sanctioned.They already have a private playground.

One thing I am curious about is the USMTS race on the same nite as RGS last nite of points.That does not appear to be cooperation between tracks.Will IMCA change this?

I wish for great success to STS and all the other tracks as well.Its nice to have options as a racer and a fan.Being an old hippy from the 60s I just dont like rules.

95% of the modifieds already buy the stickered wheels and everything else that is IMCA legal. Maybe 3 cars will need to change motors because roller motors and stud girdles are not allowed. The "have nots" will come out ahead on this. The cars that will need the most tech are the limited modifieds and that is probably a very good thing. Some of those cars sound like they have full blown modified engines .

Has this subject been discussed in a more formal gathering of all concerned or just on this forum? I don't know one way or the other how many drivers/teams that would be affected look at this message forum. Then again maybe they do. I'm just not sure your getting good representation by discussing it on this forum and then making a decision. You know who the drivers are. Is there a way to contact them individually? J.M.O. I really enjoy the races in all classes and will be there when the gates are open every chance I get.

GB, admittedly the cost of the IMCA lisence is a factor, but the benefits it returns is a good thing and if you run in the top 8-10 in track points, pays for itself at the end of the year. As mentioned before there are other benefits, too.

Yes it would cost the track a sanction fee, but if you have several guys running other tracks because they can't compete with open rules, those guys will race at home vs. travelling. A percentage of that money goes to the year end points fund. As for the full bodied cars, IMCA implements a two-year change over policy for existing cars. So guys won't have to make total changes in a short period of time. If paying a little for safety equipment to be legal is that big of a deal.......then you're in the wrong sport. As Bruce mentioned, most Mods/Ltd. Mods already have a lot of the IMCA stickered parts.

Going IMCA would eliminate the private playground entity......ANY IMCA legal could run from any other track, in this case I-37(not sure how close Texana rules are to IMCA anymore).

As far as over-scheduling, at year end there just aren't enough dates or good weather for everyone to pick and choose the right ones. Happens all the time at years end for ALL dirt tracks in the north part of the state. I'm sure USMTS gave Owen the choice of this date with no other option. Hard to say no to a sanction that wants to come in and lease(that's what they usually do) your facility for three nights of racing. PROFIT!

Hobby Fan, I would guess, knowing Owen, that it will be talked about other places than here.(ie; banquet, track)

From a fan's perspective, it seems that this IMCA sanction only applies to just the Mods and Lim. Mods. What I've noticed from the stands is that most of the drivers in both of those classes have a chance of winning on any night. I don't see how an IMCA sanctioning would hurt that. In theory it would make those classes more competitive with an enforceable set of rules that would make every car similar and puts the pressure back on driver skill rather than deep pockets or trickery. I do think for this to work, tech would be important to keep this even playing field and I think the drivers will come to expect techs, especially if the same drivers are continuously finishing up front. I agree that drivers that won't tech seem to have something to hide and are probably illegal. If everyone knows they are subject to tech, I don't think they would be cheating as much. I see this as a good thing with established and fair rules. Plus, like I said earlier, I don't think this would be a detriment to STS because of the quality of drivers there, esp in the mod classes plus think the national awards and ability to easily run other tracks will add to the enjoyment of the modified classes. If it works for the mods then try it for the other classes, just a thought.

Does IMCA bring their own teck person?If not then why cant the same teck be done now?Just add the claim procedure and you have an even field.Invert the whole field and you have exciting races.I dont know who runs for national points but it seems to me the tracks up north who run 5 days a week have the advantage.Im not against santioning,it is just the other side to look at.Can STS afford it as a whole,will it bring more cars and who will benifit.Remember the lesser funded teams make the difference of a big or small field.The well funded teams will do what they want anyway.Again,JMO.

I think IMCA will be a great thing for STS, the cost is not to bad for the track maybe we could get a sponsor or 2 to help out with it. We have tried Outlaw rules for 2 years and the outlaw rules have been in south Texas for years well maybe it is time for change. It appears the outlaw rules have car counts falling so maybe try the other end of the spectrum, strict tech on a good set of rules.

There won't be alot of talk about it I will announce my decision and move forward, either people will come race or they won't last year we did a vote and 50 Modified drivers voted for outlaw and we averaged less than 18 cars a night in the modifieds so what did it really get us?

With me it is about keeping the race track open, for all of those that think I am getting rich doing this please come talk to me it won't take long to convince you otherwise. Yes there is a little money to IMCA but maybe if it helps the track it will pay for itself.

Anyway thanks everyone for the comments.

Owen

THUMPER,it does not matter if you run 7 nights a week on the points deal..they only take the best 30 out of 50 races..why did tms break records for spectators and have the car count they did at the IMCA race?,over 15000 on saturday alone..they run great dirt races often,but it was the IMCA that broke the record..why does Abilleen and waco both have full car counts and great fields without a BIG purse? you never know when the IMCA crew will be there,so they better be right...they do know rules..on the lesser funded teams,i think IMCA wins there hands down..yes you can run that big motor,yes you can lose it..if you refuse to give it up at an outlaw track,it means nothing.refuse in IMCA,well now it mean alot.. why does the name brand outsell the house brand at the store?i dont know,or care...but i do like a leval playing field...lots of racers do.is it leval now? how many have shied away because its an outlaw track? ..and the points fund and sponsor awards are on a national leval...can local run with that?i again will say IMCA is not perfect..,but if all is good,why the discussion?frank t

GB, I think Frank answered your questions and what he says is the truth.

IMCA's Regional Director and head tech can show up anytime, without notice. I would guess being a newly sanctioned track that they may pay more attention and to training the track tech.

With the new points system north guys, who in reality, SELDOM race 5 times a week don't have the edge they once did. This year a guy from Wisconsin won the National points. Many of the tracks up there run Wissota rules instead of IMCA so I seriously doubt he raced more than twice a week. He also passed the points leaders late in the year because they had already maxed out their races. If I-37 stays open and stays IMCA, then someone can race both tracks and be in the running for National points, as well as Regional points.

I think everyone knows what me and TJ's vote was last year on IMCA and what it would be again this year if it comes to that. Rebel, you are right, being able to race STS and I-37 for IMCA points would be a good deal for those that wanted to. If we (in the Valley) could convince RGS to follow suit there are some that could be in the running for a regional, state, or national points position. And, with a little cooperation on scheduling from all three of the tracks, racing at least two nights a week would not be out of the question. I also think the tracks would see an increase in car counts from those that were racing for IMCA points from other areas. Tracks in central and northern Texas went through their fair share of rain-outs as well this year. And I feel that the likes of Keith White, PJ Egbert, Chris Bragg, Jeff Turner, Greg Dinsmore, and some of the others racing for IMCA points would be racing at a sanctioned track in this area if they were rained out or not racing at their home track.

i dont know but i still think either way imca or outlaw, is not going to matter much if ya dont get a good car count and people in the stands spending their money.we can all sit back and say imca ... outlaw.... it dont matter which way . it turns out if they cant draw a crowd.. no one spending money and watching the races.. could end up meaning high priced flower pots that will go like hell setting in our garages with no place to run.

Will STS go to the Sport Compact in lew of Thunder Cars?Is there any intrest in this class?I see thay made a couple of minor changes.I have always felt that with all the choices of cars to build,the 4 cyl class should be an inexpensive option but not necessarly a beginner class.Tap into that groupe that does not have resourses to do a V8 car.A 4 cyl afterall is not that much bigger than a go cart.

First off, I think those tracks up north that run four or five nights a week only have two month seasons because of weather so I think the actual race count is similar. I would like to agree with Mr. Torres. Tracks like Heart of Texas and Texas Thunder that have been IMCA sanctioned never seem to have a problem with car count. True, I think tech should be important and enforced anyways but what I think IMCA will do is provide a clear and strict set of rules that isn't negotiable and will be enforced and you never know when actual IMCA officials show up so the local officials and racers will know exactly what is expected. As I understand this thread, the IMCA will only apply to modifieds, but when I went to Killeen one of my favorite classes there was their I-Stock class which if I remember right was somewhere between a STS pure stock and hobby stock. Everyone knows the rules and seems to follow it and when they're illegal they don't fight it and they correct it. And since you asked Thumper, unfortunately, I don't think too many people care about the thunder class the way it stands. When you see one or two guys winning all the time and such a huge difference between them and everyone else it gets boring and unattractive but it's getting better. The guys are no doubt racers don't make it sound like they're not deserving, but crowds don't come for four cylinder cars I'm sorry. Even at STS, the modifieds and limiteds are the show and that's what draws the people in and should be the highlight event. Anyways, I still think IMCA would be worth a shot. I just see more benefits than drawbacks right now and would like to see it and see where it goes.

Archived